Do MMA fans and media over-analyze the quality of past wins?

digitalman45

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Something I've noticed amongst the mma community is how many lenses past fights are inspected under. It's rare fights are left to appreciate without being criticized over time for the prime the fighters were in, the condition in which they fought each other, the method in which they won and how many rounds it took. Other things that are used to pick apart the quality of a performance I'll see are what organization it was in, the weight class of the fighters, the gym the fighters were training at, and so many other outlying factors.

What are some past wins by any fighter that don't have any holes in them? What do you go by to determine the quality of a past win?

i dont see how you can criticize fedors wins in his prime, like nog 2x and cro cop.

if you're a jackass you can make up reasons to hate and discredit anything, tho

i dont see how you can criticize fedors wins in his prime, like nog 2x and cro cop.

if you're a jackass you can make up reasons to hate and discredit anything, tho

I feel bad for you Fedor fans, his wins get picked apart brutally. I'm not a fan but I don't see any need to try to discredit the dudes career over every little thing.

I feel bad for you Fedor fans, his wins get picked apart brutally. I'm not a fan but I don't see any need to try to discredit the dudes career over every little thing.
every fighter has haters, and the fedors, gsp's, andersons', jones', aldo's etc. have even more haters. aldo i think gets the most disrespect out of all of them. helwani for example listed cormier and mighty mouse when asking fedor who was the best ever and i think he left aldo's name out of it if im mistaken.

really hope he beats stephens and gets the belt back

I think people go a little far, saying things like "He lost his next 2 fights so it wasn't a good win". You go by what they did before hte fight, not after. I was saying Ngannou was too green to be a special win for Miocic immediately afterwards, I didn't have to wait until the Lewis fight to say "LOL NGANNOU SUCKS STIPE BEAT HIM WHO CARES".

You can't erase what a guy was at the time of beating them. Machida over Sokoudjou is one of the biggest wins of Machida's career for that reason.

Only the last fight really..

ahhhh does howdy doody have a wooden dick? ahhh

every fighter has haters, and the fedors, gsp's, andersons', jones', aldo's etc. have even more haters.

I know you said "etc".... but
Shogun should also be named on that list.... he had the most haters, for years, on this site.

I know you said "etc".... but
Shogun should also be named on that list.... he had the most haters, for years, on this site.
yeah, shogun was polarizing especially when he won the belt in 2010. bj penn as well. theirs like 50 more guys you can list.

I don't know about MMA media, but as far as Sherdog is concerned the way it works is:

if you lost your last fight, you're a can and all your past wins were against cans,
if you won your last fight in spectacular fashion, you're a GOAT and all your past wins were against world beaters.

You won't find one OP. Every fighter has holes and marks on their records if someone looks hard enough.

The problem is people will analyze a fighters whole career from the beginning to the end. If you fight long enough you are bound to lose and will likely have a sharp decline in the process. My issue has always been to try and find a middle ground. IE when did they peak/prime of their career in the fairest sense of the word. But I've come to a conclusion it's a half glass empty/half full situation. You will see and agree with whatever you want to.

yeah, shogun was polarizing especially when he won the belt in 2010. bj penn as well. theirs like 50 more guys you can list.

Even before that, around '05-'08 there were polls of the "most disliked fighter" and Shogun would always win. Most people said they hated him because of his fans.

Something we are seeing now with Conor, most hate him because of his fans
where most like them for the violence they bring into the cage.

In the end, this is Sherdog, the fan favorite will always have people that hate them. When someone wins in impressive fashion, they will be champ.....Once they lose, they are a can and will always be a can.

Is Normal......<Fedor23>

Back