Do flights get cheaper closer to the take off date?

Depends on the demand for the flight. In my experience, generally no.

Yeah, I'm going to Thailand in August. Demand may fall for Thailand but not other places

Yeah, it's a gamble. Some do get cheaper, but others go up and then sell out.

Most of the time they go way super expensive as the class of service available gets limited to Y or I

Not really, in my experience its inversally proportional to how close the flight is

I would imagine it directly correlates to the purchasing trend / available seats

i'm booking a flight from san francisco to dublin for later this year. i'm going to book earlier, rather than taking the risk of waiting last-minute. anyone know of a good site for cheap flights? i usually go through orbitz, but maybe there's a better site?

I would imagine it directly correlates to the purchasing trend / available seats

This.

Prices will drop if the scheduled flight isn't trending toward capacity. They will rise if it is.

It's a gamble.

Depends on demand. If it’s someplace popular at a popular time then it’ll go up up up.

i'm booking a flight from san francisco to dublin for later this year. i'm going to book earlier, rather than taking the risk of waiting last-minute. anyone know of a good site for cheap flights? i usually go through orbitz, but maybe there's a better site?

justfly.com seems to be the cheapest

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/best-day-to-book-plane-ticket_us_56cf1648e4b03260bf759b79
Says 54 days out is the best time to buy, but anytime between 105 and 21 days out is still pretty good.

Also, check out Google Flights. There are some tools that can show you which days are cheaper to fly. Like, flying out on a tuesday and returning on a monday is much cheaper than flying on a friday and returning on a saturday.

I just ordered them. I wish I would have seen this a little bit earlier, but I have the money now so I thought I would get them.

I seen the Google flights. That is were I saw that some of the flights in the next few weeks were cheaper than the one I bought in August

Download skyscanner on your phone. Great app to have.

I read an article the other day on this topic and it used to be the case, but most regular flights apparently get overbooked. Nowadays most flights will be more expensive closer to the date.

They also said that your best chance for a cheap flight would be on a Tuesday or Wednesday, because most people travel around the weekend.

In my experience is the complete opposite. Unless the airlane comes up with a promotion for ALL flights to a specific destination but those promotions just appear randomly, I would never advice to wait in the hopes that a promotion shows up

Prices generally rise as it gets closer to the date, but may drop sharply 1 or 2 days out, if there are still empty seats.
It's a gamble tho

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back