DJ called out Cruz for $2 million in Sep. 2016.

acannxr

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
https://www.mmamania.com/2016/9/13/...ng-2-millon-superfight-with-dominick-cruz-mma

If you compare his asking price with what worse draws in boxing make...

Ward vs. Kovalev I

160,000 PPV Buys
Ward: $5,000,000
Kovalev: $2,000,000

Ward vs. Kovalev II
130,000 PPV Buys
Ward: $6,500,000
Kovalev: % of gate and PPV revenue

The idiots claiming that Johnson is overpricing himself in order to avoid the fight with Dillashaw are clearly buying Dana White's narrative that the UFC pays Johnson what he's worth (which is very little, according to them).

Would it be unreasonable to assume that Johnson vs. Dillashaw, by itself, would sell 300,000 buys? Cyborg vs. Holm did those numbers, so why wouldn't this alleged super-fight? And Johnson has gone on record that his asking price is only $2,000,000; the same asking price he had for when he called out Cruz.

But the biased and ignorant don't want to hear about facts.

There's evidence that $2 million has always been Johnson's asking price; that's how much he wanted when he called out Cruz. Why weren't people accusing him of ducking Cruz at that time? Fast forward to today and when Johnson cites the same price he asked for a year prior, and all of a sudden it's pricing himself out?

Last edited:
fbDlq.gif

fbDlq.gif

fbDlq.gif

<DirkMavs>

Wasn't the guy working in a fucking factory at the time? lol Man that was actually a really underrated fight. Cruz took it to him but a very green DJ held his own. Speed gave Dom some problems in the standup.

https://www.mmamania.com/2016/9/13/...ng-2-millon-superfight-with-dominick-cruz-mma

Ward vs. Kovalev I

160,000 PPV Buys

Ward vs. Kovalev II
130,000 PPV Buys

The idiots claiming that Johnson is overpricing himself in order to avoid the fight with Dillashaw are clearly buying Dana White's narrative that the UFC pays Johnson what he's worth (which is very little, according to them).

Would it be unreasonable to assume that Johnson vs. Dillashaw, by itself, would sell 300,000 buys? Cyborg vs. Holm did those numbers, so why wouldn't this alleged super-fight? And Johnson has gone on record that his asking price is only $2,000,000; the same asking price he had for when he called out Cruz.

+1

• Not talking trash on Twitter
  • Not acting Irish
  • Not praising Dana
  • Not spending your all free time promoting Reebok on your instagram
Honestly.. It's basic math = Dana doesn't want you to get paid over 50k, period. Your manletdivision will be cut and only then you will realize that your existence is literally so small that nobody won't even notice that you're gone.

• Not talking trash on Twitter
  • Not acting Irish
  • Not praising Dana
  • Not spending your all free time promoting Reebok on your instagram
Honestly.. It's basic math = Dana doesn't want you to get paid over 50k, period. Your manletdivision will be cut and only then you will realize that your existence is literally so small that nobody won't even notice that you're gone.
For someone saying that, you seem to care about his existence.. As your detailed reply proves the action in such.

Ward vs. Kovalev I

160,000 PPV Buys

Ward vs. Kovalev II
130,000 PPV Buys

Very interesting comparison, thanks for sharing!

Gonna play devil's advocate, but how much did the rest of the fighters on the Ward/Kovalev cards make? Boxing is notorious for paying headliners well, while undercard fighters get pennies.

Could DJ vs TJ draw 300k on a good card? Yea easily. Could it do that on a weak card? It's not unreasonable. But MMA events usually do a better job of stacking cards than boxing events, and as a result of that the pay structure would have to be more spread out.

My point is that UFC is most likely going to try and make the most out of this fight by putting it on a stacked card. (Which also does DJ and TJ the best service by getting them more notoriety). Which also means other fighters are going to ask for a lot too. And that, in turn, will probably hamper their pay structure.

I believe DJ deserves whatever he asks for. But there's other elements to this that you have to look into.

Wasn't the guy working in a fucking factory at the time? lol Man that was actually a really underrated fight. Cruz took it to him but a very green DJ held his own. Speed gave Dom some problems in the standup.
yeah dj did very well

beat a prime dom In the striking.

I could see him winning a rematch, Dom has pretty much peaked but DJ has improved a lot.

There's a reason Cruz was forced to grapple:
giphy.gif
TzoEef.gif
10.gif

And this was a DJ who was only training twice per week while working a full time factory job, against a healthy and injury-free Cruz.

There's a reason Cruz was forced to grapple:
giphy.gif
TzoEef.gif
10.gif

And this was a DJ who was only training twice per week while working a full time factory job, against a healthy and injury-free Cruz.

only 2x per week? is that just with hume or overall. I'm only in the gym training bjj 2 or 3x a week, can't imagine fighting one of the P4P goats on that shed.

It's all about the % of revenue.

That's what the idiots on sherdog don't seem to understand. It's ok to ask for a fair % and stick to it.

only 2x per week? is that just with hume or overall. I'm only in the gym training bjj 2 or 3x a week, can't imagine fighting one of the P4P goats on that shed.
Overall; he talks about it on Rogan's podcast.

It's all about the % of revenue.

That's what the idiots on sherdog don't seem to understand. It's ok to ask for a fair % and stick to it.

What would be fair and how does it compare to the % share today?

yeah dj did very well

beat a prime dom In the striking.

I could see him winning a rematch, Dom has pretty much peaked but DJ has improved a lot.
I'd say Dom is past his peak on the downhill slope. I don't think he's as quick as he was before the injuries.

More people know Cyborg and Holm than DJ. He couldn't touch their numbers

What would be fair and how does it compare to the % share today?
A business is considered healthy with a 25% profit margin, so theoretically the UFC could pay its fighters 75% of the profits (and I've seen 75% PPV profits get paid to a single individual boxer before in a publicly released contract).

I'd say Dom is past his peak on the downhill slope. I don't think he's as quick as he was before the injuries.
Which is why Dillashaw's callout of Johnson doesn't interest me; Dillashaw hasn't established himself as a dominant champion. He nearly got finished in trying to win back the title against Garbrandt, has a loss against a downhill Cruz, and has a contender waiting in Rivera.

Personally I don't think a champion vs. champion fight should be booked unless both champions have at least 3-4 consecutive title defenses. Just because two title holders fight doesn't make it a "super fight".

More people know Cyborg and Holm than DJ. He couldn't touch their numbers
It's easy to be more popular than someone when you receive promotion and the other person doesn't. And if you think Johnson has been promoted, your ignorant of UFC's terrible history of promoting him and the division.

Back