Distance training

Rigg9

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Are there any drills that you guys like to practice/teach that really focus on distance. I'm really curious on different drills, the different styles might use. The only thing that really comes to my mind is sparring and controlled sparring

Last edited:
I run the “ballroom” drill pretty often. One person leads, the other follows. Start just outside of punching range and have the leader take a single step in any direction. Then the follower takes the same step and tries not to end up any closer or further away. The leader can ‘check’ the followers accuracy by throwing a jab after each following step.

I like 5 step sparring for beginners but it can adapted for more seasoned fighters. You can google gohan kumite, take the core principle and adjust it for your needs.

I doubt I am the first person to think of this, but I have had an idea for training distance management for a while and I am going to test it out this week. It's a literal interpretation of the phrase "Boxing is a game of inches", meaning that I would have a starting point and then run tape in a diamond shape around it. The next diamond after that would be one inch farther out from the starting point than the previous one (and using different colors of tape to easily see where you are while moving). Here is a mockup I threw together in MS Paint, since I'm probably not doing a good job at describing it
Diamondthing.png

I definitely think it can be revised more, or maybe there's a similar drill that addresses distance management better ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ We will see!

Last edited:
Are there any drills that you guys like to practice/teach that really focus on distance. I'm really curious on different drills, the different styles might use. The only thing that really comes to my mind is sparring and controlled sparring

What do you mean by "focus on distance"...? That can mean a ton of different things.

What do you mean by "focus on distance"...? That can mean a ton of different things.
It was kind of ment generally. Range, and controlling space I feel is a very under analysed aspect of the stand up game for most novice and intermediate fighters. Figured I could get some interesting responses from people with different backgrounds. And maybe some fun drills to work on with my youngest son. I guess if I had to get precise it would be closing the distance to strike and vise versa getting just out of range before a closing it again for the counter offensive.

Last edited:
I doubt I am the first person to think of this, but I have had an idea for training distance management for a while and I am going to test it out this week. It's a literal interpretation of the phrase "Boxing is a game of inches", meaning that I would have a starting point and then run tape in a diamond shape around it. The next diamond after that would be one inch farther out from the starting point than the previous one (and using different colors of tape to easily see where you are while moving). Here is a mockup I threw together in MS Paint, since I'm probably not doing a good job at describing it
Diamondthing.png

I definitely think it can be revised more, or maybe there's a similar drill that addresses distance management better ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ We will see!

It was kind of ment generally. Range, and controlling space I feel is a very under analysed aspect of the stand up game for most novice and intermediate fighters. Figured I could get some interesting responses from people with different backgrounds. And maybe some fun drills to work on with my youngest son. I guess if I had to get precise it would be closing the distance to strike and vise versa getting just out of range before a closing it again for the counter offensive.
I’m a big believe in a systematic approach for boxing. It helps to make sure you and your boxers understand each other and it makes sure they’re never lost in the ring.

For me and mine, we have 5 ranges.
1. Clinching
2. Touching/leaning but not tied up
3. I can hit you without moving my feet or modifying my punch form
4. Half step away. I can’t land unless I move my lead foot.
5. Anything further than 4

the general rule is to hit someone when ever they cross from one range to the next whether it’s forward or backwards, but especially forwards. You can cook up partner drills and pad work based on this pretty easy.

next, have them throw a combination (again, pads or partner) and practice exiting to ranges 1-4.
Combo at range 3, then clinch.
Combo at range 3, then step in and stuff them
Combo at range 3 then step to either side.
Combo R range 3 then step back at an angle just out of reach

I’m a big believe in a systematic approach for boxing. It helps to make sure you and your boxers understand each other and it makes sure they’re never lost in the ring. Nice explanation.

For me and mine, we have 5 ranges.
1. Clinching
2. Touching/leaning but not tied up
3. I can hit you without moving my feet or modifying my punch form
4. Half step away. I can’t land unless I move my lead foot.
5. Anything further than 4

the general rule is to hit someone when ever they cross from one range to the next whether it’s forward or backwards, but especially forwards. You can cook up partner drills and pad work based on this pretty easy.

next, have them throw a combination (again, pads or partner) and practice exiting to ranges 1-4.
Combo at range 3, then clinch.
Combo at range 3, then step in and stuff them
Combo at range 3 then step to either side.
Combo R range 3 then step back at an angle just out of reach

Keep your hands up and use proper angles and circling for striking distance. The name of the game is to stay out of range while landing your own strike and not be hit

As years slide by I realize when I spar or hit pads with someone, those two skills seem to deteriorate fast with a lack of use and are also 2 of the harder ones for less experienced people grasp. I was kinda fishing for any unconventional drills (beside sparring and pad work) people may have to help train these skills

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back