distance issue with standup

RR010V

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
when I spar or when I do pads I always tend to get to close and dont get the maximum distance I can get. I dont use my shoulders to get that extra reach. are there any drills that can improve this? My trainer always tells me make your punches longer and than I notice that my punches aren't very long. but I keep forgetting it and I would like some exercises I can do at home. I do have a heavybag but I tend to do the same on that.

when I spar or when I do pads I always tend to get to close and dont get the maximum distance I can get. I dont use my shoulders to get that extra reach. are there any drills that can improve this? My trainer always tells me make your punches longer and than I notice that my punches aren't very long. but I keep forgetting it and I would like some exercises I can do at home. I do have a heavybag but I tend to do the same on that.

I used to have the same problem when I was newer. I fixed it by focusing first on drawing my non-punching shoulder back when I punch, and what I was doing with my punching shoulder second. When you punch like that, you use your entire wingspan which gives you clean, long, straight shots - Conor Mcgregor punches this way. The drawback is that your hands will migrate from your face because your shoulder will be further back, which means your hands are less likely to be in position to block and weaker at doing so if they are, but that's how you maximize your reach physiologically.

I think your problem is you're walking up to your opponent, then stepping in as you strike thus jamming.
You can do this on the heavybag, stay at your proper range, think about, your arm full extended with about an extra hand in, so fully extended arm + 6-8" away from the bag.

Work from there, using the jab, think step only 1/2 step forward on your strike.

For your shoulders, turn it more inwards as you strike, think of using the slight turn to get an extra bit of distance in

I am having the same issue especially with my 2. I feel to vulnarable and slow when I am trowing it. However when I do trow it with the correct form I often lands.

I am having the same issue especially with my 2. I feel to vulnarable and slow when I am trowing it. However when I do trow it with the correct form I often lands.
If you're not "pushing through" it'll be an arm punch basically, and about 1/2 the distance, so yeah you're right in your opponent's range.

Cross_Kickboxing_Technique.jpg

Try ending like that, and naturally your head wants to move off the line (as orthodox, head moves to your left side slightly).
Just work at it, and make the habit ingrained, and over time it'll be addressed,

Your probably to eager to just punch or punch fast, and your probably tense instead of loose, and as a result, your technique is flawd. Thats normal.
You must 1st foccus on doing the correct technique and establish your distance, and you mustn´t rush , be slow and methodical, as you will get a much better feel for what you are doing. And use the mirror to correct your form.
A good exercise is to do the simple rotation of the hips and torso while throwing the 1,2 ... do you it slowly to get a better feel for the rotation of the hips, torso, shoulders, wrists and the executed technique.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back