Differences between Dutch and Muay Matt ?

KBE6EKCTAH_CCP

The thin end of the wedge
@Steel
Reaction score
I mean on paper, it sounds theoretically rather similar but when I look at Muay Matts like Lakhin, Wangchannoi or Veeraphol, it looks very different from Dutch style.

I feel like it's much more of matter of rythm and range. Like the dutch tend to go more in the pocket and throw large volume of 3 to 5 punches, typically ended by low kicks.

Muay Matts I feel tend to stay slightly more at distance and rather throw single punches, single low kicks, rarely throw more than 3 punches combinations, and seen to be more focused on sniping for counters than sheer dutch volume. Unless they get their apanent hurt, and then it s typically a waterfall of straights and uppercuts.

Do you find that the above is a bullshit observation? If you agree, how do you explain that difference?

I mean on paper, it sounds theoretically rather similar but when I look at Muay Matts like Lakhin, Wangchannoi or Veeraphol, it looks very different from Dutch style.

I feel like it's much more of matter of rythm and range. Like the dutch tend to go more in the pocket and throw large volume of 3 to 5 punches, typically ended by low kicks.

Muay Matts I feel tend to stay slightly more at distance and rather throw single punches, single low kicks, rarely throw more than 3 punches combinations, and seen to be more focused on sniping for counters than sheer dutch volume. Unless they get their apanent hurt, and then it s typically a waterfall of straights and uppercuts.

Do you find that the above is a bullshit observation? If you agree, how do you explain that difference?
Elbows and clinching change things. The way dutch kickboxers approch by having gloves at temples takin some shots then throwing combos doesn't work as well in muay thai. Cos your guard can be split by upward elbows. Also u won't get a chance to throw a combo cos a muay thai guy can step forward and clinch.

The biggest difference for me is muay mat are still very conscious about their balance because this is a scoring criteria in MT, so they will never throw hooks with 100% of their body weight behind them.

The biggest difference for me is muay mat are still very conscious about their balance because this is a scoring criteria in MT, so they will never throw hooks with 100% of their body weight behind them.
I disagree. In Muay Thai scoring shots that have insignificant effect do not score very well so Muay Matt will mostly try to throw hard punches. In Dutch kickboxing, it is normal to spam fast combinations that land on gloves, arms, etc.

Back