Did father time get to Dariush?

I would say more so inferior genetics are playing the part against Dariush than mileage from time in the cage.

Benny is not a natural athlete - look at his body composition in comparison to Olivera. This isn't a dig its just a fact - dude has same body compo as me in that he naturally carries excess body fat on his hips and abdomen. Compare that to Charles who looks like he's about 8% body fat walking into the cage while Benny is like 14%.

All of that just means less lean muscle at the weight, less explosive power etc. Its not really why he lost that fight imo but its a factor against him in being all out elite in the sport.

I call bullshit on that one. Dariush is from Iran, that country produces the best grapplers in the world. His body type has been selectfully bred over generations to outwrestle.

I call bullshit on that one. Dariush is from Iran, that country produces the best grapplers in the world. His body type has been selectfully bred over generations to outwrestle.

he looks Pakistani or Indian and I agree (genetically inferior). He has a SHIT chin

He did fine until he did not. He was winning the round.

Dariush has always been a bit chinny. Not the first time he's been caught.

I don't think less melanin in his hair affected his performance.

He's got a head full of gray hair, but he isn't that old. If anything fighting mileage and getting knocked out brutally a few times had a bigger effect.

Dariush and Oliveira are within a year of each other but Oliveira has a lot more miles on him. Oliveira has been getting dropped in every fight while Dariush had the second longest win streak in the division.

In theory, Dariush was supposed to be in his prime and Oliveira appeared to have started his decline.

Benny has always looked like that striking. He just got tested against a true top of the food chain guy and came up short.

View attachment 986492
Guy is 34, but combat age is different, and Benny looks close to 50 years old. It showed in the fight - the reflexes were shot & he was stuck in the mud during the striking exchanges

Naw.. benny came out flat that's all and made a tactical error on the ground which lead to Charles getting back up ...everyone knew Benny couldnt hang on the feet with Charles..

Benny's way to victory was how the first few mins of the fight looked like...him GNPing to a decision...

The true unfortunate part about it is that Benny really should of been fighting Islam last night...win or lose he should of had his title shot already...

Big up to Charles though...

Benny now the LW version of this guy
101522-raphael-assuncao-post-fight-interview-thumb.jpg

Dariush’s resume was not as impressive as Olivera’s. His preparation was vastly different fight week. While Olivera was talking with Jesus and asking for the strength to vanquish those that stand before him. Dariush was visiting parks and planning a birthday party.

Not sure why I picked Dariush with hindsight.

Father time didn't get too him, Charles Oliviera did.

Reactions: Kb7
Lmao what? Benny’s resume isn’t that good he’s a product of the UFC cycling through their bloated roster padding his record with against mid to low tier guys. His last fight against someone as explosive as Charles was Edson and he lost. Benny wasn’t ever going to win that bf Igor simply because hes not had the opportunity to fight at the pace or caliber of fighters like Charles enough.

He really needed to have fought a a Porier, Gaetjhe, Chandler or hell even Bobby Green before taking this fight. UFC just fleeced a lot people who believed this card was showcasing premier talent.

The most concerning aspect to Beneils game was his ground and pound from top position. Even anik commented on it but his accuracy was really bad. He was punching more holes in the mat than into Charles face. He wasted so much energy being frantic. Could have taken a leaf out of the Dagestan boys and gone position then damage instead of just whaling your arms and barely connecting.

I think once Charles realised he was in no danger opening his guard up he just stood up and poured it on. As someone else mentioned earlier, Beneil throwing 3 right hands in a row whilst Charles pressed him was just a recipe for disaster. Think the moment got to him a bit. Great win for Charles either way, he's always much watch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kb7
Not everyone ages the same, most guys are done in their mid 30s regardless of the number of fights.
Or not everyone is the same level of skills and some guys are just better at fighting than their opponents. MMA fighters are obliterating that narrative of a athletes prime is reliant on age. In the past decade fighters has been successful well into their late 30's. Saying a fighter is out of their "prime" is just a coping mechanism to ease the fall. When fighters start losing to opponents they shouldn't be losing to, that's when it their age in the sport is in question, not when they're losing to elite compeition.

The difference between good and great.
The difference between well rounded vs athletic.

Back