Did Conor Hurt The UFC and The UFC Roster by Taking The May Fight?

WaylonMercy5150

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I know they all made millions but he also took away a fight card he could have headlined and spots other fighters could have used to propel themselves to stardom. Dana should have nixed that fight or gotten at least a few of his guys fights on the card. A major lack of foresight that inevitably hurt the company in the long run.

I know a lot of people that saw Conor fight that night who would have never watched him fight otherwise. It brought MMA and the UFC up a level IMO.

I know a lot of people that saw Conor fight that night who would have never watched him fight otherwise. It brought MMA and the UFC up a level IMO.
They should have featured some fights that showcased other UFC fighters instead of letting May just have his guys fight. They had a chance to get some other names out there and they blew it imo.

Why should Conor avoid the biggest challenge and biggest payday in his career just so some lower level UFC fighters can ride his coattails?

It sucked because the ufc didnt promote the roster or mma. Just had the biggest star they had be #50 for PBF and get boxed the fuck up. Didn't help UFC or MMA literally at all

Bad for UFC? Dude, him KO'ing Floyd stiff in the 1st round was the single greatest moment for MMA ... oh wait. fuckkkkkkkk

Yup, made MMA stand up look pathetic to boxing fans/the public and turned a whole generation of fighters into money sluts.

Inactivity. He could be drawing more and more but he doesn't fight enough. To say the boxing match was bad for UFC....no

Why should Conor avoid the biggest challenge and biggest payday in his career just so some lower level UFC fighters can ride his coattails?
It was actually Dana's decision considering Conor was contractually obligated to his promotion. They went all in on themselves, got a big payday but Dana forgot he still has a promotion to run.

There was no way to make that happen. The way the fight happened was all that could have gone down.

I’m still shocked that it even happened at all

He hurt it by freezing two divisions for years.

Champions’ inactivity is the plague of the UFC.

There was no way to make that happen. The way the fight happened was all that could have gone down.

I’m still shocked that it even happened at all
then perhaps Dana should have never let it go down and instead insist Conor defend his title in the promotion he is under contract.

Conor ain't hurting the UFC, nor did he ever hurt the UFC. The UFC is hurting the UFC. It's fighting against itself. You have a PPV of Nunes and Pennington, then you got the free fight of Till vs Wonderboy... They announce their PPV fights wayyyyy too early in advance, so you got people that hold out for a certain PPV because their favorite fighter is on it.

Then you got the USADA that came in and just killed a bunch of fighters, fuck damn near everyone I'd assume... which to me a clean sport sounds good, but it just isn't good for the fights, I'm sorry it's just not. You got a tough ass sport you're competing on, and want to compete for years because the pay sucks (unless you're conor), you got NFL players lifespan of probably 5 years, and those guys wear full pads and helmets. Those PEDs and steroids helped fighters recover, helped them make weight, rehydrate, all that shit benefited the product. I really don't know any way that PEDs and steroids hurt the UFC, other than the stigma behind people that "use". I remember when I was in my early 20s, taking turnibol and just feeling completely different in the gym... You tellin' me that shit ain't gonna benefit a fight?

You got people missing weight, constantly. You got people who are injured. You got fight cards getting ripped to shreds, days before a big fight. These are sport killers. Then they brought in Reebok and fucked everyone out of the ability to go and market themselves and make some good sponsorship money. I just don't get how these independent contractors can be made to wear that shit, I guess if it's in the contract you sign. I mean the entire octagon is covered in a ton of different sponsors that benefit the UFC, you got the tale of the tape brought to you by some bullshit company. Let the fighters make some good scratch. $3,500 for a lower rung guy don't do him shit

I'm sure a lot of you were around in the era that I began buying PPVs, in the 2004 or 5 era. I don't ever remember this kind of shit happening over and over.

I don't like how the UFC is being handled right now. It's terrible. It ain't Conors fault at all. I mean you got GSP coming back to fight fucking Bisping out of nowhere? Then climbing back in to his hole? I really don't know wtf GSP accomplished by beating Bisping. Like Wow, you took 4 years off and beat Bisping for the belt.... Woooooooow GSP, you're a badass!

The UFC needs to learn how to market fighters, not the damn promotion. I think it's gonna be a slow death, but who's to say Bellator won't absorb the UFC down the line?

Better question would be, was WME short sighted allowing this to happen only looking at the immediate return. Or should they have looked long term and gauge the effect this will have.

Fertittas would probably never allowed him to fight Floyd.

It's really the WME that's screwing up a lot of things with UFC

then perhaps Dana should have never let it go down and instead insist Conor defend his title in the promotion he is under contract.

There is a lot of stuff Dana should do. Like stop being a lying scumbag who cusses out fighters and talks nonsense. I wouldn’t hold my breath though

Conor doesn't owe any fighters anything, 90% of them have been talking shit about him from day one....

I know they all made millions but he also took away a fight card he could have headlined and spots other fighters could have used to propel themselves to stardom. Dana should have nixed that fight or gotten at least a few of his guys fights on the card. A major lack of foresight that inevitably hurt the company in the long run.
The UFC hurt the UFC by giving McGregor a shot at RDA back in 2016, that was the beginning of it all.

Didn’t you hear Dana... ZUFFA Boxing is the future
UFC Diededed

Back