Desk Jobs Double the Risk of Premature Death

DariusTheGreat

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
The article reveals a study that suggests workers with desk jobs are nearly twice as likely to suffer premature death, even if they exercise regularly.

"The new findings support another study conducted by Cambridge University last year which found that one in six deaths – 90,000 per year – were caused by 9-5 office lifestyles, the Sun reports.

Type 2 diabetes, heart disease, strokes, cancer, and dementia were mainly to blame while it also revealed that 37 per cent of British adults spend less than 30 minutes on their feet a day."

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...uble-office-columbia-university-a7942041.html

Its not natural for humans to sit all day, we were meant to work and move about most of the day and sleep during the night.

This is pretty messed up because almost every decent paying job requires sitting on a desk for prolonged periods of time. Combine that with the fact that we spend most of our time outside of work either driving or sitting at home, the risks will only amplify.

I've never had a desk job. Maybe if you're unskilled with manual labor it's the only good job...

Thank god its not premature ejaculation.

Shit, guess I'm on that boat.

White Collar Master Race crew checking in!!! HNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGG

I wish I could do my job from the golf course.

Wonder what's going to happen to the risk of premature death when the robots come for our desk jobs?

Wonder what's going to happen to the risk of premature death when the robots come for our desk jobs?
Then we'll probably being laying down all day being lazy or having sex. So it will be even more premature. Deaths and sex

Sedentary lifestyle kills. This has been known for awhile. Sitting at a desk all day, and then going home and sitting in front of a box, is completely contradictory to what humans are genetically designed for.

Sedentary lifestyle kills. This has been known for awhile. Sitting at a desk all day, and then going home and sitting in front of a box, is completely contradictory to what humans are genetically designed for.
Precisely.

reading this while toiling away on the cubicle farm.

The article reveals a study that suggests workers with desk jobs are nearly twice as likely to suffer premature death, even if they exercise regularly.

"The new findings support another study conducted by Cambridge University last year which found that one in six deaths – 90,000 per year – were caused by 9-5 office lifestyles, the Sun reports.

Type 2 diabetes, heart disease, strokes, cancer, and dementia were mainly to blame while it also revealed that 37 per cent of British adults spend less than 30 minutes on their feet a day."

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...uble-office-columbia-university-a7942041.html

Its not natural for humans to sit all day, we were meant to work and move about most of the day and sleep during the night.

This is pretty messed up because almost every decent paying job requires sitting on a desk for prolonged periods of time. Combine that with the fact that we spend most of our time outside of work either driving or sitting at home, the risks will only amplify.

I can believe this. I've seen lots of people at the office who don't really move at all except to get to their car and drive home. It's a completely different culture at my current job though. Since we're downtown, nearly every takes the bus and walks to wherever they're going. Not many fatties in that group.

Hard to give up the pay with all these hungry mouths to feed, but I'd love to work in some kind of trade.

I have a standing desk at my desk job. Does that make a difference?

I'll take dying young for a job where I can shitpost on sherdog and low-key jack off to big booty hoes all day

I work a desk. I can't sit for longer than 20 minutes at a time though so I stand up to move around. Helps having a wireless headset.

We're supposed to be getting those standing desks next year.

There are a lot of people I see at the office who sit down at 8:30am and don't get up until lunch. Then they sit down at 1pm again and don't get up until 5pm. They all have office chairs that look like they were taken off the enterprise.

It's not just the physical detriments but I think the office environment is mentally oppressive as well. At least my grey, drab office was. They couldn't put like a tree or a wooden desk somewhere or something. I honestly wanted to kill myself sitting there.

Back