Derrick Lewis vs Tim Sylvia... Who wins?

Mixfight

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I gotta go with Sylvia considering Lewis was getting beat up by Volkov on the feet. I think Tim has similar size with bigger power and would knock Black Beast out. I could also see the same thing happening to Sylvia that happened to Volkov lol but Sylvia had decent wrestling and would make Black Beast even more tired in the clinch.

sylvia-kd-nog.gif

Tim is a verry underrated hw over at these boards. big fish in a small pond back in the days over at the ufc but i honestly think he would have done fine for himself over at Pride.

Lewis vs Prime Sylvia would have been a fun scrap and i wouldnt count Lewis out but Sylvia with his decent use of reach, his power, his decent wrestling game and pressure would be to much for Lewis.

Jesus. Today's heavyweights blow ass compared to Pride's in the day.

It would depend on the version of Tim. Pre-Fedor fight, Sylvia stays away from the power and wins. Not sure the method, but I see him keeping distance or working the clinch.

It is pretty pathetic giving Lewis a title shot given his last two fights. One he stood around, did nothing against Ngannou. Then he essentially lucked out with Volkov having a brain fart the last few moments of the fight.

Cormier is essentially in a showcase fight. That is how little I rate Black Beast.

I gotta go with Sylvia considering Lewis was getting beat up by Volkov on the feet. I think Tim has similar size with bigger power and would knock Black Beast out. I could also see the same thing happening to Sylvia that happened to Volkov lol but Sylvia had decent wrestling and would make Black Beast even more tired in the clinch.

sylvia-kd-nog.gif

I think Tim is really underated. He was boring as fuck, but if you tried to engage and initiate against Tim, he's going to engage too. It takes two to tango, and Tim was no joke. I stil remember hearing the talk of Mercer fight, and thought it was a pretty bad idea, and it turned out to be true..

Well Silvia is pretty old already so....

In his prime, Sylvia.
Facing a guy coming out of retirement with a three fight losing streak, Lewis.

Lewis shouldn't beat any top HW from any time. If you go via match-up he literally loses to all top HW's since 2000. But his heart makes up for lack of other areas. Like Forrest did with cardio. Makes his fights tough to call.

If we assume prime Sylvia in the current UFC, he'd have to fight both USADA and Lewis. He got busted in the old days when testing wasn't nearly as strict...

Hard to say considering Sylvia is so fucking inconsistent and weird. This was a guy who went from beating prime Arlovski 2 times to getting dominated and dropped by Randy Couture in the span of a year.

Sylvia may be the butt end of alot of Jokes now but its hard to deny how bad ass he looked on the juice against Cabbage, Ricco and Gan McGee. That version is a tough fight for Lewis

I think Tim is really underated. He was boring as fuck, but if you tried to engage and initiate against Tim, he's going to engage too. It takes two to tango, and Tim was no joke. I stil remember hearing the talk of Mercer fight, and thought it was a pretty bad idea, and it turned out to be true..
I remember waking up that morning after the Mercer fight to check out the results. Depressing as fuck.

Hard to say considering Sylvia is so fucking inconsistent and weird. This was a guy who went from beating prime Arlovski 2 times to getting dominated and dropped by Randy Couture in the span of a year.

Same with Lewis. He can go from looking terrible the whole fight to doing a fat guy matrix and KO-ing his opponent in a split second.

I remember waking up that morning after the Mercer fight to check out the results. Depressing as fuck.

Can they both juice, though? For a fair hypothetical, I'd assume a prime age Sylvia vs. current Lewis under USADA testing. That makes it a bit harder to call.

Can they both juice, though? For a fair hypothetical, I'd assume a prime age Sylvia vs. current Lewis under USADA testing. That makes it a bit harder to call.
Probably a toss up. I feel like Big Tim had better cardio but Lewis hits harder

Tim is one of those weird guys who is and was simultaneously overrated and underrated.

On the one hand, I remember arguing with people circa 2005 who thought Sylvia would beat Fedor. And some of these people trained and were generally excellent analysts.

On the flip side, too many dismissed him after the Mir loss and first Arlovski fight, as well as at various other times. I ALSO remember arguing with people who thought Mariusz Pudzianowski would beat him and telling them they were idiots. Admittedly, none of those folks were good analysts.

Anywho, Lewis doesn't have the type of striking style that has traditionally troubled Tim. His hands aren't particularly fast (like Arlovski then or Fedor) nor does he throw high volume combinations. (Arlovski and Fedor again)

Tim could be beaten by clever grapplers too, but forget about that with Lewis and the hilarious "takedowns" he attempted against Volkov.

I give Lewis a puncher's chance, but would heavily favor a prime Tim Sylvia.

Back