Denser Heavy Bag

Fire of Youth

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I have this one heavy bag at my gym that is denser than the others. Not like compacted sand filled bag where the bottom is hard like concrete and the top full of air. It is dense all the way through. At first I didn't like it because I had to work harder and still did not get to see the effects of my power (I know it is an ego thing). However, I quickly figured out that I had to be more accurate with my timing and I could feel my technique more. Now it is my go-to heavy bag.

I was considering re-filling my home banana bag to have similar density. I asked one of the guys at the gym what they filled it with. He said that it was filled with rags but they would wet the rags, compact it further, stuff more rags in, and repeat until the whole bag is nice and dense. It makes sense to me, but I thought I would run this by the sherdogers before risking my heavy bag. Can any of you verify this method for filling a heavy bag? Do all of those wet compacted rags risk developing mould? Anything else I should be mindful of?

I would not do this if I were you. Wet clothes trapped in a bag = molds.

Just compact shredded clothes and fabrics inside the bag and keep adding some once it settled. From experience, the smaller the pieces the more compact the bag will be.

Just don't do the wet part.

Do NOT wet the cloth. As Kick said above, that's just an invitation for mold.

I have all Outslayer bags at the gym I own, and they're incredibly dense considering that they're just linen-filled. Just pack them tight, and you'll be good.

I have read the odd website that says to fill the bag with rice but I could not find enough evidence on the net to evaluate the benefit. Do any of you guys have an experience with a rice filled heavy bag?

Just pour concrete into it. You'll be fine

Also what gym from Australia are you at?

Just pour concrete into it. You'll be fine

Also what gym from Australia are you at?
Lol.

Up until quite recently, I was at Lions High Performance in St Marys. It was a really good gym but alas it closed down recently. Which gym are you at?

Back