Dennis Rodman could've had 8 rings

Fedorgasm

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
After the bulls second three-peat, Rodman joined the Lakers for just over 20 games.

He was in full mental patient mode at the time and the team decided he wasn't worth the distraction. But then they went on to win 3 rings without him.

If Rodman could've controlled himself just a little bit, he could've won 3 more rings. He would've been 40 by the time the run was over but he was still in great shape and playing well, so even if he slowed down a little I'm sure he would still have been good enough to come off the bench.

Then he would be the only player to have that many rings that wasn't part of that dominant Celtics team in the 60s.

Horry got close to that number
Yeah and I think it's a shame.

I like Horry, he's a good player, but does he really deserve more rings than anyone in the modern era?

I'd be more at peace with Rodman owning that accolade, since defense and rebounds win championships.

I like Horry, he's a good player, but does he really deserve more rings than anyone in the modern era?

I'd be more at peace with Rodman owning that accolade, since defense and rebounds win championships.
He deserves it. Always a clutch role player that won multiple series in a sense and even at the end of his career was still effective for the Spurs.

Rodman was a fucken battler and a warrior. The man never cease to stop to get the ball. Mad respects.

A shame feels harsh. He was fortuitous to be on good teams. I'm happy for him. It's not like we get dragged down into like goat convos because of it.

He was always a head case from what I recall. I remember he used to go over to a little kids house to play video games when he was a rookie with Detroit. I think they found him parked in the stadium parking lot sleeping with a loaded gun in his car if I remember correctly.

It's actually surprising he lasted as long as he did. He had a lot more offensive potential but it seemed like he didn't want to try to score much. Wasn't he a terrible free-throw shooter?

7 rings to go along with his 7 PPG would have been funny.

Maybe and this is just me spitballing here people should stop using ring counts as a way to rate players.

Bill Russell isn't the best center.
Sam Jones isn't the best shooting guard
Horry isn't the best benchplayer

They were all in the right place at the right time(Russell got drafted to a team with Cousy, Sharman and Heinsohn etc). The people with a lot of rings don't inherently have some winning trait the players with less rings lack. Ring lovers hate recognizing that truth but it's the truth.

Horry has 7 rings because he went to 3 winning situations in a row. He was not the common demominator that made all 3 of those winning situations. He was lucky.

Maybe and this is just me spitballing here people should stop using ring counts as a way to rate players.

Bill Russell isn't the best center.
Sam Jones isn't the best shooting guard
Horry isn't the best benchplayer

They were all in the right place at the right time(Russell got drafted to a team with Cousy, Sharman and Heinsohn etc). The people with a lot of rings don't inherently have some winning trait the players with less rings lack. Ring lovers hate recognizing that truth but it's the truth.

Horry has 7 rings because he went to 3 winning situations in a row. He was not the common demominator that made all 3 of those winning situations. He was lucky.
Russell's attitribute wasn't his talent he was talented very but it was his talent , MJ like will to win , leadership, and a maybe still greatest bball IQ for a big man.. Wilt is hands down the most talented Center ever an if building a team I take Russell over everytime. Not that Russell was a better player he wasn't Wilt was a Level better at least for talent. I take Russell for the heart, drive, teammate, leadership and iq

Horry was never a league great at any time he just hit many big shots n other than MJ I don't know a Player I would rather tske last shot with 1 sec left down 1.

Surprised Russo didn't give him a WCW Belt... Rodman WCW TV Champion ;)

Russell's attitribute wasn't his talent he was talented very but it was his talent , MJ like will to win , leadership, and a maybe still greatest bball IQ for a big man.. Wilt is hands down the most talented Center ever an if building a team I take Russell over everytime. Not that Russell was a better player he wasn't Wilt was a Level better at least for talent. I take Russell for the heart, drive, teammate, leadership and iq

Horry was never a league great at any time he just hit many big shots n other than MJ I don't know a Player I would rather tske last shot with 1 sec left down 1.

"heart, drive, teammate, leadership and iq"

This is exactly my problem with basketball fans right here. Particularly the MJ/Kobe sect. You're picking Russell over a vastly superior player because he won 9 more rings.

You all act like people win rings because of "intangibles" and ignore luck, chance and situation completley. If a player wins its because they never gave up and had the right mindset and if someone loses its cause they choked and aren't winning players. It's all a bunch of BS folklore.

He was a winner. When he was on San Antonio, in between Detroit and Chicago, they won 55 and 62 games.

In the 90's to the end of his career nobody won more NBA games than Rodman. Every team he was ever on was good.

He was always a head case from what I recall. I remember he used to go over to a little kids house to play video games when he was a rookie with Detroit. I think they found him parked in the stadium parking lot sleeping with a loaded gun in his car if I remember correctly.

It's actually surprising he lasted as long as he did. He had a lot more offensive potential but it seemed like he didn't want to try to score much. Wasn't he a terrible free-throw shooter?

He could have scored much more. He shifted his focus to defense and rebounding. He's arguably the most versatile defender of all-time, and by advanced metrics he's the best rebounder of all-time. 2x DPOY. In his younger years he'd lock down PG's and SG's, in his older years when he gained muscle he famously held his own against behemoths like Shaq.

Pairing Rodman, the rebounding savant who hated scoring, with the best scorer of all-time (MJ) was a match made in heaven. Their games went together like peanut butter and jelly.

My favourite memory of those Bulls teams was in the playoffs when Rodman was seconds away from getting himself tossed, and Pippen and Jordan literally tackled him to the ground. They knew they couldn't win without him and it was their way of saying "C'mon buddy, not today. We need you."

in his nose for sure

He was a winner. When he was on San Antonio, in between Detroit and Chicago, they won 55 and 62 games.

In the 90's to the end of his career nobody won more NBA games than Rodman. Every team he was ever on was good.
One of the best illustrations of how important he was IMO is when Michael returned from his baseball stint and the bulls lost anyway. Somehow the narrative became that Michael was not in shape or he was rusty, but in reality it had nothing to do with Michael. That team couldn't get a rebound to save their lives.

So they went and got Dennis Rodman and suddenly they were the best team ever. And he was really the only change from the prior year. Everyone else was already there. So Dennis was literally the difference between a mediocre playoff team and a legendary record-breaking championship team.

One of the best illustrations of how important he was IMO is when Michael returned from his baseball stint and the bulls lost anyway. Somehow the narrative became that Michael was not in shape or he was rusty, but in reality it had nothing to do with Michael. That team couldn't get a rebound to save their lives.

So they went and got Dennis Rodman and suddenly they were the best team ever. And he was really the only change from the prior year. Everyone else was already there. So Dennis was literally the difference between a mediocre playoff team and a legendary record-breaking championship team.

Jordan fans have edited history by never mentioning that and constantly saying Jordan won 6 in a row.

Anytime I think of Rodman, I think about the time he kicked at a cameraman who then turned into the grape lady with thoughts of getting rich from a lawsuit.

Anytime I think of Rodman, I think about the time he kicked at a cameraman who then turned into the grape lady with thoughts of getting rich from a lawsuit.
LOL that was classic. Gives the guy a weak kick in the leg and the dude starts complaining of neck pain and has to be carried off in a stretcher.

I couldn't do it. Sell my dignity on national TV like that.

In private, sure, not not on TV lol

Back