Denis Kang breaks down how to train the heel hook safely

Stephan Kesting

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score

The heel hook is the giant-killer of submissions, plus it's important for self defense. Here's BJJ black belt and MMA fighter Denis Kang's take on how to train it safely

Sweet video, thanks for sharing. I just feel like reiterating a couple really important points that I've found helpful when training heel hooks- which I've been doing a lot of lately.

1. The catch and eye contact thing usually works. If not, control that ashi position really tight with your legs while they are flailing around so they don't hurt themselves and then just let go. It sucks to let go of a sub like that but it's better than feeling like you hurt someone. Once your legs are tight and you got the guys toes stuck under your arm, get under their heel, and it's over. Just let go.

2. I'm pretty particular about who I will train these with. I generally do not even go for these on white belts because they are just too unpredictable in how they are going to move and react. If I'm rolling with someone blue or up who clearly doesn't know what's up, then I'll do the eye contact thing and then just let go if they still don't get it.

3. I have to post this Kurt Osiander vid. It pretty much sums it up:

Cool, thanks for posting - for both of those videos.

At our gym, people who have trained/drilled leg attacks are permitted to use them in rolling but only catch and release, from white belt up. But it's only those who have been drilling them and taught the basics about safety with them that are allowed to do even that.

That's a very old school way of finishing the heel hook which seriously increases the risk of injury for your partner and decreases your control of the submission. I mentioned before that I've trained with the Renzo NY guys and they all heel hook, apply pressure, and no one gets injured because it's a slow, controlled, and very painful submission.

You can even see from the still on the video Jake looks like he's going to scream when Eddie demonstrates the proper pressure for a heel hook.

Rob Bernacki actually did a mini series on the Danaher heel hook recently but it keeps getting taken down whenever someone uploads it. He actually explains it much better than simply saying "toes to butt". Basically you want their toes in your armpit, but space between the rest of their foot and your torso. Draw your hooking thumb to your chin and your chin to your thumb and that puts a strong toe hold pressure on the foot. You can add a bridge to destroy the knee, but that's the part that shouldn't be done in training.

Back