Dean Lister shows a heel hook from half-guard

Tokpaul

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
In this video, Dean Lister talks about how leg attacks can be used to pass the guard while also showing a sneaky heel-hook from the half guard position. Enjoy!

My god look at the size of that man's head

And nice technique

Like overeem, he used to have a skinny head back in the day. Not anymore. Managed to grow his head.

That said, one of my all time favorite grapplers.

dean is awesome.

and this is so simple, i love it. the only problem i see is, when he lifts his free knee up, isn't there a toehold available for the bottom guy on that leg?

whenever people try to kneebar my far leg from halfguard by lifting their knee like that, i dive for the toehold immediately.

Tried this during rolling last night. It worked like a charm.

Whoa that's so simple but adds a whole new avenue of attack to my knee slice/backstep/leglock game. Also, takes the whole step over into the knee bar sit out of the equation, which can leave me in a vulnerable position against good guys that know my game. Much better risk-reward if you "miss" here.

Definitely gonna try this out tonight.

dean is awesome.

and this is so simple, i love it. the only problem i see is, when he lifts his free knee up, isn't there a toehold available for the bottom guy on that leg?

whenever people try to kneebar my far leg from halfguard by lifting their knee like that, i dive for the toehold immediately.

I think not so much because he's not sliding his knee all the way across and, instead, just using the top of his knee to pin the dude's chest on bottom. I know the counter you're writing about (one of my favorites, also shown by Dean in a different technique) and I don't think you'd have the right angle if done correctly.

Tried this a few times against last night. Got the heel hook tap every time. By sitting on your opponent's leg and going for that trap is highly effective.

I love it. At the top of my to try list now.

Whoa that's so simple but adds a whole new avenue of attack to my knee slice/backstep/leglock game. Also, takes the whole step over into the knee bar sit out of the equation, which can leave me in a vulnerable position against good guys that know my game. Much better risk-reward if you "miss" here.

Definitely gonna try this out tonight.
So tried this last night and I'm actually salty I never thought of it.

Back