Law DEA finally accepts: cannabis is low-risk and has medical potential

Bro, SUGAR is probably the worst thing for all of us, yet it is in almost every single fucking thing, is addictive as hell and the direct link to our obesity problem in the US, which leads to many other health issues. Yet we're all fine with that risk in society.
Sugar doesn't impair your driving.

Sugar doesn't impair your driving.
Alcohol impairs you motor skills which weed doesn’t, it affects reaction times and attention but in general it leads to people compensate by driving slower as opposed to alcohol which lowers inhibitions and leads to risk taking behaviors.

It’s not recommended by anyone to drive high and there should be a system and laws in place to police, it but if it lead to even half of the deaths caused by drunk driving they would keep it super illegal everywhere.

Many more people pay recreational sports while high rather than drunk. Those are two extreme ends of degrees of impairment.

I will say I feel like pot is pretty harmless, I still wish it wasn’t legal because I hate the ticking smell, any smoke is bad for your lungs, and the small percent that think it’s ok to drive high.

That being said, it’s pretty harmless as long as it doesn’t lead to legalization of other drugs.

A welcome development. Although I do grow concerned at the excess of our consumption of marijuana as a country for recreational purposes, especially when so many pretend they're ingesting it for medical reasons, justifying their habit with holistic pseudoscience.

But making it easier for hospitals and research universities to obtain the plant and its medical derivatives is definitely a social good.
It's hilarious reading posts like this while living in California where it moved past medical designation and has been fully legal for quite some time.

It doesn't have to be medical. Enjoy Marijuana recreationally if you so desire.

It's legality hasn't increased my consumption whatsoever. In fact, I smoke less now than I did when it was "Medical" and I grow my own so I have access to an endless supply.

It's hilarious reading posts like this while living in California where it moved past medical designation and has been fully legal for quite some time.

It's legality hasn't increased my consumption whatsoever. In fact, I smoke less now than I did when it was "Medical" and I grow my own so I have access to an endless supply.
You seem to be experiencing an emotional reaction to opinions that weren't expressed. My post neither advocated for or against recreational marijuana legality. Nor did it attribute our increasing consumption of the drug to legalization.

You seem to be experiencing an emotional reaction to opinions that weren't expressed. My post neither advocated for or against recreational marijuana legality. Nor did it attribute our increasing consumption of the drug to legalization.
Where did you gather that my post was being emotional? I was simply replying to your take with my take. You did write in your post about your concern about excess consumption.

I consider myself fairly conservative but I'm 100 percent for the legalization of Cannabis. This is not the hill conservatives want to die on and Cannabis should have been legalized 30 years ago. There are no benefits to keeping it illegal and more lives are destroyed over Cannabis by the laws and not the actual substance.

Where did you gather that my post was being emotional? I was simply replying to your take with my take. You did write in your post about your concern about excess consumption.
You began, "It's hilarious..." That expresses an emotion, even if it is intended sarcastically. I mentioned I am concerned about an excess of consumption, but I did not attribute it to legalization. Marijuana use was on the rise for decades before we moved to legalize anything.

Man, imagine all the people who are locked up in prison, lost their lives or a majority of it due to marijuana.
Very few. Marijuana was mostly used as a fool-proof way to charge people who had committed various other crimes. Also I would think most people were imprisoned due to three-strike rules and prior conviction sentencing guidelines. Biden actually pardoned anyone who was in prison for just marijuana possession and it affected a total of 0 people.

• The number of federal offenders sentenced for simple possession of marijuana is relatively small and has been declining steadily from 2,172 in fiscal year 2014 to only 145 in fiscal year 2021.
  • The overall trends were largely driven by one district, the District of Arizona, which accounted for nearly 80 percent (78.9%) of all federal marijuana possession sentencings since 2014. As the number of such cases in the District of Arizona declined from a peak of 1,916 in 2014 to just two in fiscal year 2021, the overall federal caseload followed a similar pattern.
  • Federal offenders sentenced for marijuana possession in the last five fiscal years tended to be male (85.5%), Hispanic (70.8%), and non-U.S. citizens (59.8%). A little over two-thirds (70.1%) were sentenced to prison; the average prison sentence imposed was five months.
  • As of January 2022, no offenders sentenced solely for simple possession of marijuana remained in the custody of the Federal Bureau of Prisons.

Very few. Marijuana was mostly used as a fool-proof way to charge people who had committed various other crimes. Biden actually pardoned anyone who was in prison for just marijuana possession and it affected a total of 0 people.

I meant in the 80's, 70's 60's etc. I should've been more clear.

You began, "It's hilarious..." That expresses an emotion, even if it is intended sarcastically. I mentioned I am concerned about an excess of consumption, but I did not attribute it to legalization. Marijuana use was on the rise for decades before we moved to legalize anything.
"You seem to be experiencing an emotional reaction" wouldn't be a typical response to someone finding humor in something, unless coming from a robot. You did say you were concerned about excess use because of recreational consumption, so I don't think my interpretation of your post was off base, but whatever... if we actually agree then good.

I meant in the 80's, 70's 60's etc. I should've been more clear.
That doesn't even matter because he was only referencing Federal Prison time but when any conviction for a Individual choosing at their free will to consume cannabis can and does result in jail time which can set their life in a down world spiral. There is no benefit for Cannabis to remain illegal and as a conservative its so hypocritical for and backwards for other conservatives still wanting this plant stay illegal.

I consider myself fairly conservative but I'm 100 percent for the legalization of Cannabis. This is not the hill conservatives want to die on and Cannabis should have been legalized 30 years ago. There are no benefits to keeping it illegal and more lives are destroyed over Cannabis by the laws and not the actual substance.
Absolutely.

There is nothing to be gained(morally, financially is another matter) by keeping it illegal. It is just insane to say weed should be illegal while alcohol is all good. It is ass backwards.
As someone who partakes in da ganja, I can say it is definitely not harmless, but then again, nothing is.

Absolutely.

There is nothing to be gained(morally, financially is another matter) by keeping it illegal. It is just insane to say weed should be illegal while alcohol is all good. It is ass backwards.
As someone who partakes in da ganja, I can say it is definitely not harmless, but then again, nothing is.
My dad was a decorated officer and worked on the job for over 25 years, he was an Undercover Narcotics officer for quite some time and worked with the DEA....He also is a conservative but believes without a doubt that Cannabis should at least be decriminalized and legalized . Most conservatives are just looking silly at this point and if this is the hill they're going to die on during the upcoming elections...well then they're fools.

Back