Day of the weigh-in: What to eat before

numberthirtytwo

Orange Belt
Reaction score
For a late afternoon weigh-in, what is the best thing to eat in the morning? Obviously "nothing" is one answer, but except in extreme cases, it's probably going to be a good idea to eat something. So here's my question:

Do you go for "light" food, literally whatever food weighs the least for the most amount of calories? For instance - a donut has a lot of calories and might be really light, so is that going to be the best choice? As opposed to a whole lot of scrambled egg whites, or a few apples, which might make you more full for the same amount of calories. But will they sit in your stomach, making you heavier when you step on the scale later in the day?

Steer clear of foods containing high carbs, and drink a lot of water. Avoid high stress exercise 2-3 days prior to the fight, as it can cause water retention.

personally I like to go with a light meal replacement bar, like a balance or zone perfect. It will keep you full for its size.

Preferable answer is "nothing" if you are struggling to make weight. If your weight is ok, I would take a sip of water and maybe have some chicken breast or something.

Steer clear of foods containing high carbs,

The low carb idea is an interesting one - avoiding eating carbs in the morning of a weigh in will affect your water retention for later that day? Or does this only apply (as Sinister seemed to say in another post) if you've been cutting carbs out significantly for a long period of time?

But...
and drink a lot of water.

What???? This is totally the wrong idea, unless I'm missing something. My usual plan for cutting water weight is to drink a shitload all day before the weigh-in, chug water before i go to sleep, then have one glass or so first thing when I wake up. Then I don't drink ANYTHING until I weigh in. If you keep drinking water, it's going to be hard to lose that water weight.....

also does anyone have any thoughts about eating "light" food that weighs relatively little but is high in calories, to give you energy while not making you weigh anymore later that day? i.e. a donut vs. an apple, with the apple being heavier so it would make you heavier when you step on the scale later? is that the way things work?

Well, a doughnut is high carb so won't help with water retention, plus a lot of the calories are from sugar, which is great for short term energy but not so great long term.

With regards to the water retention bit, i'm possibly talking out my ass due to not really knowing how fast these things affect how much water you're holding, just going with that i've picked up in various threads.

Interesting thread. As I am not an expert and dont compete it is interesting to learn how fighters eat on weigh in day....and post weigh in.

Lightest weight with the most energy. I normally go with a granola bar or two, depending on how much weight I have to go and how I feel. Something like a nutri-grain is .037 kilos and an average protein/power bar will be .05-.07 kilos.

If you can eat before weigh ins you should go down a weight.

But I have found in the short term energy bars put on .1 pounds.

Back