David Taylor Ankle Pick Study

Hes actually only fought in Brazil and Canada. Are you aware of this guys story? Its extremely interesting.
Nope, I am not actually, I will need to look into it. No doubt I can find something on ruvesti or or rusport

Nope, I am not actually, I will need to look into it. No doubt I can find something on ruvesti or or rusport
Dude has had quite a ride. For those who dont know, he Comes to the USA as a kid and wins just about everything a HS wrestler can win. Multiple Ohio HS titles, Fargo, NHSCA nationals, 2x Cadet FILA nationals champ in freestyle, etc. Was the top recruit in the entire country but didn't have the grades or English skills to go Division I so he enrolled at Lassen Community College in California so he could still wrestle at a high level. A ton of High Level wrestlers have passed through Lassen to coach and compete. He got stuck back in Russia on a visit home and never returned to the USA eventually living and wrestling for Canada. Now hes a beast MMA prospect.

Not the wrestler David Taylor that I was expecting.

7f94a917c2dave-taylor.jpg

Dude has had quite a ride. For those who dont know, he Comes to the USA as a kid and wins just about everything a HS wrestler can win. Multiple Ohio HS titles, Fargo, NHSCA nationals, 2x Cadet FILA nationals champ in freestyle, etc. Was the top recruit in the entire country but didn't have the grades or English skills to go Division I so he enrolled at Lassen Community College in California so he could still wrestle at a high level. A ton of High Level wrestlers have passed through Lassen to coach and compete. He got stuck back in Russia on a visit home and never returned to the USA eventually living and wrestling for Canada. Now hes a beast MMA prospect.

I remember him upsetting Kurt Backes at Senior Nationals. Always wondered what happened to him after HS.

I remember him upsetting Kurt Backes at Senior Nationals. Always wondered what happened to him after HS.
Its pretty cool that he did so well in American folk style wrestling and in freestyle. Usually foreign wrestlers have trouble with folk style. I guess he came here young enough to change. He made the London Olympics and was Canada's top 96er from 2009 to 2012, then I believe he moved to Brazil and began fighting.

Im always curious to see how high level wrestlers do in Bjj or sub grappling (and vice versa actually).

Rustam Chsiev was doing really well in sub grappling with pure wrestling (he was pulling of stupid white belt moves against bjj world champions).
Gerardi Rinaldi actually learn jiu jitsu and took a silver gold medal at the ADCC.

Its pretty cool that he did so well in American folk style wrestling and in freestyle. Usually foreign wrestlers have trouble with folk style. I guess he came here young enough to change. He made the London Olympics and was Canada's top 96er from 2009 to 2012, then I believe he moved to Brazil and began fighting.
He got to the US young and the coaches he had at Lakota East High School (north side of Cincinnati) were good and they were freestyle junkies so they knew how to adjust and quickly adapt him to folkstyle and if they had to just picked neutral

Rustam Chsiev was doing really well in sub grappling with pure wrestling (he was pulling of stupid white belt moves against bjj world champions).
Gerardi Rinaldi actually learn jiu jitsu and took a silver gold medal at the ADCC.
Big fan of Chsiev and hes got to be the best example of a guy who hass done well at the highest levels of both wrestling and submission grappling. Hes done pretty well in senior/world level freestyle tournaments against legit guys and obviously beaten a shit ton of Bjj/sub grappling world champs (as you said).

He got to the US young and the coaches he had at Lakota East High School (north side of Cincinnati) were good and they were freestyle junkies so they knew how to adjust and quickly adapt him to folkstyle and if they had to just picked neutral
I love stories like this. There are a few similar cases. The closest I can think of is Nazar Kulchytskyy. Comes to the USA from Ukraine as a 16 year old and wins FILA Junior Nationals by beating future 3x DI Champ Deiringer. He also beat Dylan Ness. He was offered the opportunity to become a resident athlete at the big OTC in Colorado Springs but was injured and wanted to learn English so he went to a DIII school in Wisconsin. Won 3 DIII titles and a bunch of age group freestyle titles and is now very high up on the Olympic ladder. Pretty cool story.

I got to this thread late, are you guys talking about Khetag Piliev?

*Edited disregard, you are talking about him, I read through the thread.

Sherdog has him listed as 170? that can't be right, he used to be huge like 211.

I got to this thread late, are you guys talking about Khetag Piliev?

*Edited disregard, you are talking about him, I read through the thread.

Sherdog has him listed as 170? that can't be right, he used to be huge like 211.
You never know. Some of these guys do huge cuts once they get into MMA. But going from 211 to 170, jeeeeez! I know Khabib competed in sambo at 182 pounds but even that is not comparable.

You never know. Some of these guys do huge cuts once they get into MMA. But going from 211 to 170, jeeeeez! I know Khabib competed in sambo at 182 pounds but even that is not comparable.

I actually have trained in the same room as Piliev, he was big, I can't fathom him cutting to 170.

Edited: I just looked up Google images of Piliev in MMA, he looks like a totally different person. Usually you cut for wrestling, and then wrestle up a weight in MMA. This is weird, but it is him.

I actually have trained in the same room as Piliev, he was big, I can't fathom him cutting to 170.
Get ouuutta here! That's cool man. What a beast. Very interesting, enigmatic character too.

Bro, there's only ONE Taylor that I wanna STUDY

upload_2017-11-29_9-27-46.png

Jk, thanks for this oP, I've been using the collar tie snap to ankle pick a lot lately!!

Get ouuutta here! That's cool man. What a beast. Very interesting, enigmatic character too.

Another funny footnote about the guy, I saw him Wrestle in the Canada Cup I think in 2008 or 2009, his first opponent was Misha Cirkunov (Current UFC fighter) he took him down and pinned him in under a minute.

Another funny footnote about the guy, I saw him Wrestle in the Canada Cup I think in 2008 or 2009, his first opponent was Misha Cirkunov (Current UFC fighter) he took him down and pinned him in under a minute.
That's cool man. I know people tout Misha's grappling credentials but Pliev is on another level. I believe he beat Chris Weidman at that same tournament. Or maybe it was another but it was a tourney in Canada that year.

That's cool man. I know people tout Misha's grappling credentials but Pliev is on another level. I believe he beat Chris Weidman at that same tournament. Or maybe it was another but it was a tourney in Canada that year.

I used to live in Toronto, and I knew both guys. Misha trained at Extreme Couture Toronto, and Khetag trained at the Toronto Wrestling Development Center/ Team Impact. Khetag had an interesting way of training, in practice he would not train like a maniac, and he would put himself in bad positions to work out of them, to Khetag practice was practice, it was not a competition (this is the way it should be). About a month before the Canda Cup, Misha came to TWDC and wrestled with Khetag, Misha was actually confident that he could beat him. When it actually came to the match time Khetag smashed him.

Training at TWDC was an interesting experience, Canada has a lot of immigrant, many from Russia and the Former Soviet Countries, and many from Iran. You had many older guys on that mats that were past their prime but when they were younger they were world class wrestlers. In the beginning they used to have matches, some of the matches between the Russians and Iranians got really heated, I believe two times the police had to be called to the parking lot because the combatants wanted to finish what happened on the mat. After a while all of the Russians wrestled on one side of the room, and the Iranians wrestled on the other side. It was pretty funny.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back