Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Specs

i5 6600
16gb Ripjaw ddr4 ram
R9 380x 4gb
Win10

I had heard Dark Souls' performance on pc was bad. then I heard about Durante and his tool, dsfix. Now, Dark Souls 2 ran perfect for me, even when I had a weaker system. Dark Souls 3 ran like shit until an update this march or april, since then it's worked fine. Still, DS1 runs like crap even with Dsfix, and all the other fixes I found. I can never crack 45 fps, unless I disable vsync, then I probably get 60, but the screen tearing is insane.

So, how is your performance on DS1 pc?

your system is more than enough.
windows 10 might be an issue. keep in mind windows 7 or 8 was still in the picture when that game was ported.

my crappy computer played it just fine on Windows 7.

your system is more than enough.
windows 10 might be an issue. keep in mind windows 7 or 8 was still in the picture when that game was ported.

my crappy computer played it just fine on Windows 7.

When I first tried DS1 with the dsfix, my specs were
18gb ddr3 ram
amd fx6200
gtx 660

Still, for the way the game looks, I cant see how a potato could not run it at 60fps.

When I first tried DS1 with the dsfix, my specs were
18gb ddr3 ram
amd fx6200
gtx 660

Still, for the way the game looks, I cant see how a potato could not run it at 60fps.
it is poorly optimize so yeah man.
everyone feels a type of a way on from software for doing that.

it is poorly optimize so yeah man.
everyone feels a type of a way on from software for doing that.

I was so pissed at DS3's performance. I was maybe cracking 40fps on extremely low. After some random update, solid 60 at max. really weird. I cannot tell much of a difference between max and minimum either.

If you buy a game made in Japan, you're flipping a coin on performance. I wonder why that is.

Specs

i5 6600
16gb Ripjaw ddr4 ram
R9 380x 4gb
Win10

I had heard Dark Souls' performance on pc was bad. then I heard about Durante and his tool, dsfix. Now, Dark Souls 2 ran perfect for me, even when I had a weaker system. Dark Souls 3 ran like shit until an update this march or april, since then it's worked fine. Still, DS1 runs like crap even with Dsfix, and all the other fixes I found. I can never crack 45 fps, unless I disable vsync, then I probably get 60, but the screen tearing is insane.

So, how is your performance on DS1 pc?
Did you follow a guide when configuring DSfix?

There are certain settings that must be changed (like disabling AA in game) and some that work better than others. It took me a little tweaking but I get pretty consistent 60fps (actually 59 because I found it works better than 60).

I see you have an AMD so I'm not sure what its configuration utility looks like but with Nvidia you can force Vsync through the control panel (on a program basis as opposed to globally). That got rid of my screen tearing. I'm on Win10 as well.

It's not poorly optimized, it's just literally the 360 version ported to PC. DSFix is mandatory.

Did you follow a guide when configuring DSfix?

There are certain settings that must be changed (like disabling AA in game) and some that work better than others. It took me a little tweaking but I get pretty consistent 60fps (actually 59 because I found it works better than 60).

I see you have an AMD so I'm not sure what its configuration utility looks like but with Nvidia you can force Vsync through the control panel (on a program basis as opposed to globally). That got rid of my screen tearing. I'm on Win10 as well.

Yup. disable aa, and all the other stuff they did, forced vsync through the card, got bad fps.

From is just not very good at optimizing for pc. The fact that DS3 dropped in 2016, yet was configured to only take advantage of a single core, is telling.

I folded my laptop in half trying to fight Capra Demon with fucking like 7fps.

Yup. disable aa, and all the other stuff they did, forced vsync through the card, got bad fps.

From is just not very good at optimizing for pc. The fact that DS3 dropped in 2016, yet was configured to only take advantage of a single core, is telling.
You're right about Fromsoft and PC ports, especially for DS1. Your problem still sounds weird though.

I only cared about increasing FPS so I only edited a few sections in dsfix.ini (and haven't installed any other mods). Here are those specific sections in case you want to compare to your file. I get 59 FPS in most areas with occasional frame drops in places like Demon Ruins because of the lava.

############# Framerate

# Enable variable framerate (up to 60)
# NOTE:
# - this requires in-memory modification of game code, and may get you banned from GFWL
# - there may be unintended side-effects in terms of gameplay
# - you need a very powerful system (especially CPU) in order to maintain 60 FPS
# - in some instances, collision detection may fail. Avoid sliding down ladders
# Use this at your own risk!
# 0 = no changes to game code
# 1 = unlock the frame rate
unlockFPS 1

# FPS limit, only used with unlocked framerate
# do not set this much higher than 60, this will lead to various issues with the engine
FPSlimit 59

# FPS threshold
# DSfix will dynamically disable AA if your framerate drops below this value
# and re-enable it once it has normalized (with a bit of hysteresis thresholding)
FPSthreshold 28

############# Filtering

# texture filtering override
# 0 = no change
# 1 = enable some bilinear filtering (use only if you need it!)
# 2 = full AF override (may degrade performance)
# if in doubt, leave this at 0
filteringOverride 2

###############################################################################
# Window & Mouse Cursor Options

# borderless fullscreen mode
# make sure to select windowed mode in the game settings for this to work!
# 0 = disable
# 1 = enable
borderlessFullscreen 1

# disable cursor at startup
# 0 = no change
# 1 = off at start
disableCursor 1

# capture cursor (do not allow it to leave the window)
# 0 = don't capture
# 1 = capture
# (this also works if the cursor is not visible)
captureCursor 0

Back