Dana's White's Contender Series Week 5: LIVE on Fight Pass 8PM ET/5PM PT PBP DISCUSSION

Kinda sucks knowing that a division's depth is a deciding factor in who gets a contract. Takes some of the fun out of 135-170 fights.

Why are they calling Mike Rodriguez "Mexican"? HAHAHA

Dude is probably Dominican.

I've also been thinking, Bellator sure must be paying close attention to the guys that don't get signed. Word is that the UFC has a 30 day option to sign or bring back fighters for other shows, so after that, they're open to be signed by anyone else.

"We talked last night"

I'm definitively reading more into that than one should.

Kinda sucks knowing that a division's depth is a deciding factor in who gets a contract. Takes some of the fun out of 135-170 fights.
If the fights at 205 265 sucked. I think they would have taken the other dudes.

hahahahahahah

Mike Rodriguez' Nickname is "Bones".

Oh, so Mike Rodriguez's nickname is "Bones" according to Tapology, and not "Slow Mike". That's interesting.

I've also been thinking, Bellator sure must be paying close attention to the guys that don't get signed. Word is that the UFC has a 30 day option to sign or bring back fighters for other shows, so after that, they're open to be signed by anyone else.

This I was thinking about earlier
I feel like this show is in part a response to Bellator's development program (which the UFC also has... but<{vega}>no idea if they've ever signed anyone)

Some of these fringe guys have got to be on bellator's radar immediately, there's been a guy at least every night so far that could have easily gotten a contract.

For WME's sake I hope they have some sort of matching rights or something along those lines.

Some quick stats so far about DWTNCS, but they're just observations since we have a sample size of only 25 fights.

All five betting favorites won tonight.
We've had as many technical submissions (fighters put to sleep) as we have standard submissions.
Finish rate of 68%.
All three fighters to most recently fight for Ring of Combat have won.
2 contracts have been given on four of the five cards.
1 fighter to win by KO has been given a contract in each of the five cards.
Fighters who had their last fight in a major org (UFC, Bellator, WSOF) have lost all of their fights.

Contract distribution thus far:
5 for KO, 1 for TKO, 2 for decision, 1 for technical sub.

Some quick stats so far about DWTNCS, but they're just observations since we have a sample size of only 25 fights.

All five betting favorites won tonight.
We've had as many technical submissions (fighters put to sleep) as we have standard submissions.
Finish rate of 68%.
All three fighters to most recently fight for Ring of Combat have won.
2 contracts have been given on four of the five cards.
1 fighter to win by KO has been given a contract in each of the five cards.

Contract distribution thus far:
5 for KO, 1 for TKO, 2 for decision, 1 for technical sub.

I would be surprised if the show can keep up this quality.

I was expecting a much worse show

The first one did, thank god.

Alex Perez got signed for 125lbs, man. Two bantamweights got signed off the same episode IIRC.

The headliners are bringing the action, which is all that's asked of them and they should be rightly rewarded.

Calm down man, Julio Arce will fight again in about 3 weeks on the show, and win (coz he's good) and get signed.
Charles Byrd fights for the second time in about 4 weeks on Tuesday. They seem keen on keeping guys active.

You also have to bear in mind that, currently, the ENTIRE bantamweight division is awaiting a fight, there are NONE scheduled - that might factor when they're considering how frequently to add to that particular division.

Back