News Dana White: Stipe wasn't called & offered an interim title fight (no ducking)

Does Stipe at least get paid for the time and training he put in?

Shouldn't you ask him if he at least wants to fight after preparing?

Of course, Legacy and all... and Stipe is not about money. His dream job as a child was to be a fireman

Stipe Miocic is a Fireman.

That being said, Dana is saying he just pulled Stipe without asking him if he still wants to fight. Kinda sucks.

Translation: "stipe is a walking corpse and we are reserving his final loss for Jon; who we are giving 8 months to run as many milligrams of Tbol and 19-nortestosteron as he can plunge

If that's true, if it would be insulting to Stipe to ask him to fight a replacement, what was the point of having one replacement? they needed two replacements ready to weigh in. Now Aspinal is forced to take a fight that's stacked against him.

Trust me, Dana knows a thing or two about disrespect.

Do you remember what Stipe said about why he had his coach put on his belt after he beat Ngannou?

“(He’s) my dude,” Miocic said when asked about why his coach presented him with the title. “He respects me and I respect him. End of story”.

When asked if he thought White respected him....

“I don’t know and I don’t really care,” he answered.

“Where’s my coach at? Those dudes right there are my family. They all respect me and I respect them. They come with me. We go to war no matter what – win, lose or draw. That’s my family. We all respect each other no matter what the situation is.”​

Now I don't know if Dana remembers, but if he does he's quite petty enough to deliberately echo Stipe's word choice. "I'll show that I respect you, heh heh heh."

It seems like everyone just hates Stipey nowadays. He's still younger than Glover was when he won the LHW belt not too long ago.

By the time this fight happens, Stipe will have been out for 3 years, and will have only fought the same 2 people for years before that. I get he wants a big payday against Jones, but he doesn't deserve it at all. It's the same shit as Colby, just sit out and demand title shots.

to even call the guy and give him a fight is disrespect?

maybe he doesn't want to sit out for like a year extra...
I think Stipe is only coming back for the Jones fight then he is done. He is 41 and has not fought in over two years...plus he doesnt need money and never has seems to care about his fame. If I were him I would take the legacy fight and call it a career.

Not too long ago I remember a bunch of people saying stuff like “heavyweights seem to have a longer shelf life and can still be competitive at later ages/past their prime” and basically that HW fighters are gonna get brutally KO’d from time to time so it’s just normal and doesn’t mean a guy is washed.

Why is nobody giving Stipe that courtesy here? I still think Jones will beat him handily but it’s kinda crazy how anxious everyone is to write Stipe off…

Not too long ago I remember a bunch of people saying stuff like “heavyweights seem to have a longer shelf life and can still be competitive at later ages/past their prime” and basically that HW fighters are gonna get brutally KO’d from time to time so it’s just normal and doesn’t mean a guy is washed.

Why is nobody giving Stipe that courtesy here? I still think Jones will beat him handily but it’s kinda crazy how anxious everyone is to write Stipe off…

Of course, Legacy and all... and Stipe is not about money. His dream job as a child was to be a fireman

Stipe Miocic is a Fireman.

Nah, his dream job was to be a pro baseball player. It was only when he wasn't picked up by a team that he thought shit, what am I gonna do for a living? All he really knew was he wouldn't be able to cope with a desk job. That being said, the options he considered were all public service of one sort or another. At one point he thought it would be the Coast Guard. But after he heard from some friends who went into firefighting about the hours and benefits etc he said that's the one for me.

Don't be thinking that Stipe doesn't care about the long green. He likes his money and is careful with it. He's had contract disputes with the UFC. But he isn't a slave to money. Lots of things are more important to him. Keeping with a job he finds fulfilling and that he had put so much work into is one of them.

Criticism from whom? The UFC controls mma media with strong-arm tactics, so the criticism certainly won't come from them. And the casuals don't know enough to care. So really, the only "very strong" criticism will come from hardcore fans. But the UFC doesn't actually care about the hardcores; they're a relatively small group and will watch anyway. The casuals are the people who drive the ppv numbers, which is why the UFC caters to them.

Criticism won't derail these shenanigans. If anything, the plan will get derailed by another injury (or legal discretion) to Jones or old man Stipe.

Moreso from the fanbase I would say, I'd agree its certainly possible the UFC will push though the fight anyway but I think it will get even more fan criticism than it was already and will potentially loose a lot of the shine if Pav or Tom is interim champ with increasing hype behind them, espeically as people expect whoever wins to retire so your basically looking at a sideshow whilst the "real" champ is probably side-lined for much of next year,

Hopefully stipe gets injured this time and justice can finally then be served

If Jones is out for at least another 8 months, and it's already been 8 months since his last fight, that'll be longer than Jiri's been out, and they already had fights booked for the official title in less time than Jon's been out already.

I guess they can't just come out and say they can't let Sergei or Aspinall fight Stipe cause they'd likely win and spoil the squash match they set up for Jon.

Back