Dana says Khabib and Conor got to a level of fame where they could ignore contracts

Unheralded Truth

Brown Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
It was the most-watched fight in the sport's history after a heated, fractious build-up. It would be Nurmagomedov who claimed the victory, forcing McGregor to concede defeat to a fourth-round submission. But according to Dana White, Nurmagomedov earned a lot more that night than a measure of revenge.

"He didn't even make it back to his dressing room after the fight, and Putin was on the phone", the UFC chief told the 'Games with Names' podcast.

"Putin gave him and his father like $20 million worth of property in Russia," White continued. "Then he went into the Muslim territories, where these guys are like: cars, money, gyms,
whatever he wanted."

Now, more than three years after stepping away from the UFC at the height of his powers, White said on the podcast that Nurmagomedov has so far resisted efforts by the Las Vegas-based fight organization to return.

"Once you get to that level of fame, it's just like what we're dealing with with Conor McGregor," White explained. "Conor McGregor lives in a yacht in the middle of where the warmest place in the world
is at that time. Once you get to that level, you're not gonna get up for getting punched in the face anymore."

Source: https://www.bignewsnetwork.com/news/274133540/ufc-boss-reveals-putin-gifts-to-russian-star-khabib

Well, that's why it's his job to promote the lesser known fighters in case the big name fighter doesn't want to fight.

Sounds like he doesn’t honestly expect Conor to fight in the UFC anymore. There was never any doubt about Khabib for me. I knew he meant he was done.. Period.

But I figured Conor would return. It’s probably less than 50/50 in my mind now.

Sounds like he doesn’t honestly expect Conor to fight in the UFC anymore. There was never any doubt about Khabib for me. I knew he meant he was done.. Period.

But I figured Conor would return. It’s probably less than 50/50 in my mind now.
I had been thinking he’d definitely come back for at least one more or maybe 2 depending if he won but now I doubt he ever comes back if he’s really waiting for his contract to expire. No way in hell could the ufc match what he would make in a boxing fight in one fight

That is all true it's what make Floyd Mayweather Jr so impressive

I had been thinking he’d definitely come back for at least one more or maybe 2 depending if he won but now I doubt he ever comes back if he’s really waiting for his contract to expire. No way in hell could the ufc match what he would make in a boxing fight in one fight

Like Khabib, it's not like Conor needs the money. But unlike Khabib, Conor loves the attention, the adulation, and if you aren't in front of people, they forget about you pretty fast.

Conor might have one fight in him, but it has to be some over-the-hill name that can be beaten, like Cerone.

I liked the part where you skipped over that wasn't to another MMA competitor seeing as nobody else could pay them better than the UFC.
Did you? That's cute.

Like Khabib, it's not like Conor needs the money. But unlike Khabib, Conor loves the attention, the adulation, and if you aren't in front of people, they forget about you pretty fast.

Conor might have one fight in him, but it has to be some over-the-hill name that can be beaten, like Cerone.
The reason Khabib ain't coming back is because he doesn't want to diet and train as much as he'd need to to do so.

It was one of the hardest things in my life to stay away from food, even now. Because for 15 years I was on a diet, maybe more. To make weight, I had to stay on a diet all my life.
Being a religious person, we have to stay away from a lot of things. When food comes on the table, sometimes you want to enjoy it.
I have to train every day for five hours to get back to 86 kilo, or I can live a happy life. I’m going to be happy and drink Pepsi.
I weigh 205lb now, maybe 204lb in the morning if I don’t have dessert the night before.
When I was an active fighter, I was around 190lb and I cut weight to 155lb. I finished my career, I gained about five kilos, but I can’t do anything with this.
I train maybe one hour a day. But before, when I was active, I was training at least four hours every day.

It's interesting to note that the richest MMA fighters are not the GOATs.
In soccer and other sports generally the richest players are the best players.
Maybe it's a peculiarity of MMA that only guys not so motivated by money reach GOAT status.

Last edited:
I love how Dana keeps trying to force this narrative that you can only fight in the UFC if your'e broke or something

The Bald Goof just really doesn't understand that some people know what they are worth. Dana's bullying tactics usually only works with people who have little to no money. They have to give in if they want to make any money fighting.

Hey Dana. Pay Conor what he's worth. Love him or hate him, he did elevate MMA to the next level in the mainstream. Enough of that keeping 90% and giving fighters 10%

Back