Current UFC champs time since last defense

giusti825

ßanned
@Silver
Reaction score
I actually started this thread because Ive noticed Woodley catching hate for saying challengers, namely Covington and RDA were undeserving of a shot.

I saw someone accuse Woodley of holding up the division, so i thought id check the dates for some perspective.

Heres the champions list with the date of their last legitimate defense or taking of the title and a bit of their recent title history.

1. Demetrius Johnson - Last defended against Ray Borg on October 7th, 2017 at UFC 216. It has been 72 days, since Mighty Mouse made his record breaking 11th defense of the FLW title. His previous defense was 6 months prior against Wilson Reis at UFC on Fox: Johnson vs Reis.

2. TJ Dillashaw - TJ recaptured the BW title from Cody Garbrandt at UFC 217 on November 4th, 2017. It has been 44 days since. His previous fight was 11 months prior against John Lineker at UFC 207.

3. Max Holloway - Max Holloway rematched Jose Aldo at UFC 218 on December 2nd, 2017 for his first title defense. It has been 16 days since. His previous fight was also against Jose Aldo, where he captured the belt 6 months prior.

4. Conor Mcgregor - Conor defeated Eddie Alvarez for the LW belt at UFC 205 on November 12th, 2016. He hasnt defended in 402 days. His previous fight was 3 months prior against Nate Diaz in a non-title fight despite Conor being, at the time, the UFC FW champion.

5. Tony Ferguson - Ferguson defeated Kevin Lee in a bout to determine an interim LW champion on October 7th, 2017 at UFC 216. It has been 72 days since he successfully captured the interim strap. His previous bout was 11 months prior against RDA at The Ultimate Fighter: Latin America Finale.

6. Tyron Woodley - Tyron Woodley defended against Damian Maia at UFC 214 on July 29th, 2017 in his third title defense. It has been 142 days since. His previous bout was a defense and rematch 4 months prior against Stephen 'Wonderboy' Thompson.

7. Robert Whitaker - Robert Whitaker fought #1 contender Yoel Romero for the Interim (subsequently promoted to undisputed) MW belt at UFC 213 on July 8th, 2017. It is important to note that this title began a new lineage as two MW champions refused to fight him and the second vacated in lieu of unification. It has been 163 days since he last fought. His previous fight was 3 months prior against #2 ranked Ronaldo 'Jacare' Souza at UFC on Fox: Johnson vs Reis.

8. Daniel Cormier - DC last defended his belt at UFC 214 on July 29th, 2017. It was Cormiers 4th title defense. The match was ruled a no contest and DC retained the title. It has been 142 days since. His previous defense was 3 months prior against Anthony 'Rumble' Johnson at UFC 210.

9. Stipe Miocic - Stipe last defended the HW belt against JDS at UFC 211 on May 13th, 2017 in his 2nd title defense. It has been 219 days since. His previous defense was 8 months prior against Alistair Overeem at UFC 203.

Xmas is right around the corner and I haven't bought shit. Think I might not buy presents this year.

So Conor is officially the biggest duck in the UFC

Not surprised motherfuckers

How can you still be 'champion' after 365 days without a title defense? Imagine the New England Patriots said "We are not defending the Superbowl, who would rather a play a money game in rugby versus the New Zealand All Blacks." LOL

They would get disqualified and the NFL would move on without them. In A-Level sports the integrity of the competition matters.

BREAKING NEWS: DEFENDING THE UFC BELT IS OVERRATED.

Money fights or GTFO.

Doesn't change the fact that Tyron was ready to defend against Nate but otherwise he will need surgery.
Doesn't change the fact that Tyron had the UFC force Maia to fight Masvidal in hopes of avoiding him and then sprung a fight with 6 weeks notice.
Doesn't change the fact that he tried to duck Wonderboy immediately upon winning the belt and called out Nick Diaz.

Woodley keeps positioning himself for money fights rather than earning them by making himself the money fight.
He makes it a little too easy to hate on him tbh.

just one title defense from Conor, that's all I have ever wanted.

Doesn't change the fact that Tyron was ready to defend against Nate but otherwise he will need surgery.
Doesn't change the fact that Tyron had the UFC force Maia to fight Masvidal in hopes of avoiding him and then sprung a fight with 6 weeks notice.
Doesn't change the fact that he tried to duck Wonderboy immediately upon winning the belt and called out Nick Diaz.

Woodley keeps positioning himself for money fights rather than earning them by making himself the money fight.
He makes it a little too easy to hate on him tbh.

But there is no denying that he is one of the most active champions against top contenders. I think DJ and Holloway may be the only ones ahead of him.....but Holloway only has 1 defense.....time will tell.....

But there is no denying that he is one of the most active champions against top contenders. I think DJ and Holloway may be the only ones ahead of him.....but Holloway only has 1 defense.....time will tell.....
He has fought but lets see how long he runs from defending next. He won the belt July 2016 so has 3 defenses in 17 months. pretty typical but I wish champions would fight every 6 months as a min not a max. I suspect The Choosing One to rehab his shoulder until he thinks he can get a favourable match up.

He has fought but lets see how long he runs from defending next. He won the belt July 2016 so has 3 defenses in 17 months. pretty typical but I wish champions would fight every 6 months as a min not a max. I suspect The Choosing One to rehab his shoulder until he thinks he can get a favourable match up.

Not typical by todays championship standards. Bisping went 518 days without defending against a single top MW, and Conor is currently at 402 days.

These are the divisions directly around Woodley. He has particular trouble making MMA money fights because he was crowned in The Fake Belt Era.

Also, 3 defenses in 13 months (or 4 championship fights 17 months) would be more accurate, which is FAR from typical. Only DJ is ahead of him. I only count from the day someone won the belt if there was never a defense because thats really the only date for reference.

Last edited:
If a champ defends twice/yr that’s pretty close to the average. That’s all I’ve ever expected. If they can rip off 3/yr, or 5 in a cpl years. That’s even better.

But, with champs these days...

There’s bullshit politics, money, and outright cowardice. The money, and politics can be the fault of the fighter, or the UFC, btw.

It’s all pretty fuckin annoying, imo.

just one title defense from Conor, that's all I have ever wanted.

Conor = ZERO defences ever.
Riders = 4 Grey Cups in 100+ yrs.

Those long, cold SK winters must really suck, eh.

giphy.gif

It's hardly anything new.

Frank Mir - held the UFC HW title for 419 days without defending.
Cain - held the HW title for 385 days until losing it on his first defense against JDS.

But their injuries were real injuries and anyone now is faking theirs.

Matt Serra held the title for over a year too without defending it.
Pettis had the LW belt for 15 months before defending it.

It's hardly anything new.

Frank Mir - held the UFC HW title for 419 days without defending.
Cain - held the HW title for 385 days until losing it on his first defense against JDS.

But their injuries were real injuries and anyone now is faking theirs.

Matt Serra held the title for over a year too without defending it.
Pettis had the LW belt for 15 months before defending it.

Thank you for this post.

I had missed Mir in a thread i made a few weeks ago on longest inactive championship streaks.

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/l...out-defending-against-top-contenders.3671095/

Can you take a quick look and let me know if there is any off the top of your head that you see i missed.

ya its kinda weird how the ufc is setup.

ppl go on a crazy streak fight many times a year than get the belt and get surgeries. and ufc makes new interim belt.

Back