Cuban Uppercut

WillW

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
What is the Cuban Uppercut? Iv seen it menioned a few times, dont know if its just slang or what not...

ok I'm gonna take a stab at this. it could be another term for a Mexican shovel hook. which is like in the middle of an uppercut and a hook. but I'm not positive if that's what a Cuban uppercut is haha

What is the Cuban Uppercut? Iv seen it menioned a few times, dont know if its just slang or what not...

An uppercut thrown by a Cuban, or anyone else....... so long as they are in Cuba......

I'm pretty sure it's a sex thing, I'd be willing to try it out.

From my understanding it's a regular upper more or less only you twist your fist vertically.

I don't know if you'll understand that too well so I'll try to clarify it a bit. When you throw a normal upper your palm faces towards you but the cuban upper has your thumb face towards you like a hammer fist from what I've heard.

From my understanding it's a regular upper more or less only you twist your fist vertically.

I don't know if you'll understand that too well so I'll try to clarify it a bit. When you throw a normal upper your palm faces towards you but the cuban upper has your thumb face towards you like a hammer fist from what I've heard.

well what I was talking about is basically a diagonal uppercut. so If a hook comes parallel an uppercut comes vertical then a Cuban hook comes right in the middle at a diagonal angle. if it's what I'm thinking.

As far as I know, the only uppercut Cubans tend to throw that's distinctly different, is a rear uppercut that involves moving from the rear hip to the lead hip, and allows them to move towards the opponent's power hand relatively danger free. That's what I refer to as a Cuban uppercut. Jose Napoles did this quite a bit, especially against Southpaws, using it to secure the outside angle.

As far as I know, the only uppercut Cubans tend to throw that's distinctly different, is a rear uppercut that involves moving from the rear hip to the lead hip, and allows them to move towards the opponent's power hand relatively danger free. That's what I refer to as a Cuban uppercut. Jose Napoles did this quite a bit, especially against Southpaws, using it to secure the outside angle.

finally! I was waiting for you to give an opinion haha! now are they taking a step with the rat for our are you doing a monster hip switch to get your rear hip that far over? or maybe I'm not getting it at all haha.

finally! I was waiting for you to give an opinion haha! now are they taking a step with the rat for our are you doing a monster hip switch to get your rear hip that far over? or maybe I'm not getting it at all haha.

rigondeaux-fight.jpg

That's the ending position. See how Rigo's head is well to the right of Donaire's left? He just throws the uppercut by shifting his weight from one hip to the other, usually stepping as he does so.

As opposed to this--

mulholland_Rios-vs-Peterson004.jpg

--where the head is still over the rear hip, and the weight ends on that foot.

^ But they are two different uppercuts. Rigo is throwing a rear from a southpaw stance against an orthodox opponent and Rios is throwing a rear as an ortho vs an ortho.

^ But they are two different uppercuts. Rigo is throwing a rear from a southpaw stance against an orthodox opponent and Rios is throwing a rear as an ortho vs an ortho.

Of course they're two different uppercuts, haha. :icon_chee That was the point.

Southpaw or orthodox is unimportant here; my intent was to point out the different mechanics. One is thrown with the head over the rear foot, the weight pulling back to that foot at the end of the punch. The other (the "Cuban" one) is thrown like a soft cross, with the weight and head ending up over the lead leg.

That is correct. Watch how smoothly Napoles steps to Backus' left with it, Backus distracted by the glove in his face:

Good stuff. Id love to see those 2 go at it again, 2 of the most exciting boxers out there.

Sinister, I noticed you mention to bring your rear foot with you on your right hand. Is that just with the hard right hand or all right sided punches?

Good stuff. Id love to see those 2 go at it again, 2 of the most exciting boxers out there.

Sinister, I noticed you mention to bring your rear foot with you on your right hand. Is that just with the hard right hand or all right sided punches?

You talking about Donaire and Rigo? That fight got written up as terribly boring because Rigo boxed Donaire's face off. Donaire's fallen off in a big way lately, it wouldn't be very smart for him to fight Rigo again.

You talking about Donaire and Rigo? That fight got written up as terribly boring because Rigo boxed Donaire's face off. Donaire's fallen off in a big way lately, it wouldn't be very smart for him to fight Rigo again.

Rigo should take it again, but I was shocked with the how easily he won. Im a big fan of both and believe that Nonito can give him a better fight. Not a great fight but exciting none the less with those guys in there. the footwork, speed...
Ali/Forman was a boring fight, that I would have watched over and over again at the time. I still think George could have done much better as well.

I have also noticed the turn or not turn the first on the uppercut. I assume its just like turning the LH over or not. I tend to to it body ways. If im going straight up the middle ill turn the fist but coming on the side may not turn it.

Rigondeaux is a career-ender. He turns his opponents into timid, boring versions of themselves, and then gets written off as a guy who only fights overmatched opposition. Dude just can't win.

Of course they're two different uppercuts, haha. :icon_chee That was the point.

Southpaw or orthodox is unimportant here; my intent was to point out the different mechanics. One is thrown with the head over the rear foot, the weight pulling back to that foot at the end of the punch. The other (the "Cuban" one) is thrown like a soft cross, with the weight and head ending up over the lead leg.

I don't see how that can be excluded. Two opposite stances and the guy throws the rear uppercut it's going to look exactly like Rigo's because it has to travel so far. Changed to matched stances and you have to going to have to throw like Rios did to get any dig on your shot.

I'd be more convinced if you could find someone throwing a cuban uppercut against a same stance guy but at the minute I just can't visualise it.

Back