CSAC trying to eliminate extreme weight cutting.

UFC-194-Mcgregor.jpg

Won't know until the media starts asking Uncle Dana and fighters about it.

Hopefully in time we'll not only see these new rules integrated into California, but other states as well.

Maybe Bellator will have to lead with these changes.
I'd like to see more consistency among the ACs. The new rules are in effect in some states and not others - that's a fucking mess. These new ideas, if implemented, should spread. It's for protecting the fighters, even if it's protecting them from themselves.

But I absolutely cannot see Bellator leading any charge toward regulation or fighter safety standards.

Impossible to enforce. The fighter signs a contract with the promotion and the promotion schedules the fights. The AC has no say in what weight class someone fights at and can't force a fighter to a new weight class. The UFC can (and does!) do that, though.

I doubt all of this will be implemented, but if even part of it is, I think it's a step in the right direction.

Technically... The AC could refuse to sanction a fighter if he wasn't fighting in his " designated class " or had missed weight once, already. Assuming some of this stuff gets adopted. It becomes a rule.

So it's not impossible to enforce. It'll just take big balls, and a dedicated goal of making fighting safer. Eliminating drastic weight cuts, should be a priority among the big ACs. With the smaller ones usually stepping into line.

Anything they do is better than what they're doing right now.

And they probably will be weak in what they adopt. The NSAC just ate that fine they gave Conor. Nate was fined $50,000. So, he actually got a larger fine, than Conor ?

Corruption in ACs, and in USADA.

Maybe the CSAC will do the right thing. But, I'm not going to hold my breath.

Technically... The AC could refuse to sanction a fighter if he wasn't fighting in his " designated class " or had missed weight once, already. Assuming some of this stuff gets adopted. It becomes a rule.

So it's not impossible to enforce. It'll just take big balls, and a dedicated goal of making fighting safer. Eliminating drastic weight cuts, should be a priority among the big ACs. With the smaller ones usually stepping into line.

Anything they do is better than what they're doing right now.

And they probably will be weak in what they adopt. The NSAC just ate that fine they gave Conor. Nate was fined $50,000. So, he actually got a larger fine, than Conor ?

Corruption in ACs, and in USADA.

Maybe the CSAC will do the right thing. But, I'm not going to hold my breath.
I agree that things need to change. But I'm saying is that, if they say, for example, that Gastelum needs to fight at MW, but the UFC gives him a fight at WW, they'll just book the fight in Vegas or somewhere else. They can't enforce this because there's other options for the larger promotions. This will absolutely affect smaller promotions, but they can't force fighters in the UFC to fight at a different weight when they have the option of simply fighting in another state.

If it were to be adopted by other ACs (including the international ones), then it would have an effect on the UFC, but until the NSAC enforces the same rule, the CSAC won't be able to pressure promotions like the UFC.

But I hope that happens. I hope they can enforce some rules to change the sport for the better. Fighters have a dangerous enough job as it is, they shouldn't have to be rushed to the hospital at 4AM because of a bad weight cut.

Somebody will die with the fight day weigh in rule... it will be the cause of the first sanctioned death in mma

Not when used in conjunction with eliminating drastic weight cutting. Nobody would be fighting in the divisions they fight in now. Except HW, probably. It'll take work. But, it can be done right.

Surely, you know that's what same day weigh-ins mean ?

http://www.mmafighting.com/2017/3/2...0-point-plan-to-combat-extreme-weight-cutting

Holy crap, these sound like some effective changes being proposed. Wow. Hope some of this stuff gets passed. Extreme weight cutting, imo, is one of the biggest detractors to the sport. Would love to see more weight classes added, and fighters fighting people their own weight, and I think the sport will benefit immensely from fighters putting on better performances due to simply being healthier.

That is great, I hope more states enforce this. The best way though to eliminate this is to basically do monthly checks on fighters, check their weight every month even in the off season or when they have no fight, they should not be allowed to walk around more than 15 pounds above their fighting weight.

a lot of the deaths and brain damage in boxing comes from extreme weight cutting, its why you dont see any heavvyweights dying and they are huge and with more power, its the little guys who sap down in size and lose a lot of fluids making their brain bounce around more during fights.

Id say the majority of boxing deaths come in the lower weights you will have a 5 foot 7 guy in boxing cut down from 150 pounds all the way down to 115 pounds for a size advantage.

Impossible to enforce. The fighter signs a contract with the promotion and the promotion schedules the fights. The AC has no say in what weight class someone fights at and can't force a fighter to a new weight class. The UFC can (and does!) do that, though.

I doubt all of this will be implemented, but if even part of it is, I think it's a step in the right direction.

Every fight gets sanctioned by the AC´s, usually they follow each other sentences, meaning, if Nevada bans a guy from fighting at LW cause he missed weight, California might follow, and he will not fight at LW there, just like in Nevada.

this is a fake problem perpetuated by government commissions trying to justify their existence.

How many weight cut deaths have there been, like one ever in 25 years? They are acting like we're in the middle of the fatal weight cut apocalypse. Google weight cut deaths and that flyweight in One Championships is the One and Only result you will find. I don't want to sound insensitive but Asians suck at weight cutting.

Boxers and wrestlers have cut weight forever. When was the last time you saw a headline that said "uh oh.. another high school wrestler drops dead from that pesky weight cutting." Oh right you've never read that in the history of ever.

Last edited:
True, but this isn't fighters saying no to fights, this is an AC trying to over-reach and control promotions. The CSAC doesn't have the kind of influence that the NSAC has to begin with, and how many UFC cards are even booked in Cali? If they try to pressure the UFC into doing something they don't want to do, it'll be fewer cards in Cali, not fighters sitting on the shelf.
The CSAC has lots of influence because everything Andy Foster has proposed in the past 2 years has been implemented by the UFC for all shows, not just Cali.

I'm all for the combating the severe weight cutters, and I suspect eventually you'll see more SAC's get on board and create a more uniform set of standards. I understand the UFC has put forth efforts to mimimize the risks involved, but that won't do anything to fighters who elect to switch to a rival organization in order to get that "extra" leg up on their opponents.

Regulated weight cutting at the state level means Bellator, WSOF, UFC etc would all have to abide by the same rules, and I think all of the state athletic commissions should stand together on this. Deaths from extreme weight cutting are rare but they make news because it's an (unfortunately) noteworthy incident, but there's no been no concentrated effort to study the effects on potential organ damage and other health risks.

I think the creation of extra weight classes is useless, the lone exception being LHW renamed Cruiserweight, and LHW becoming 205-220/225. HW would be 225 and up, and raise the limit to 275. The UFC has already gotten ridiculous with champs not defending against contenders and creating interim titles solely for marketing purposes, creating 165-175 and 175-185 divisions only serves to further dilute the product or brand.

Back