Crossbows for a beginner

Discussion in 'Weapons and Tactics' started by ironkhan57, Dec 28, 2017.

1. mjmj

mjmj Black Belt

There are plenty of decent crossbows out there, but some will set you back a ton of money. But you can get a good one for $300-$500. They all tell you you need to use a cocking rope, yet many don't even supply one. As mentioned, some of them are easy to pull back by hand, some are impossible. A lot of the tougher ones have cranks built right in.
    Personally, I don't care for them, but only because I've been shooting a compound for 30 years. If you don't have a lot time you can dedicate to practicing, the crossbow is the way to go.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    ironkhan57 likes this.
  2. ralphc1

ralphc1 Steel Belt Platinum Member

[​IMG]

These are available for only $1,249 and have a cranking system to draw it. The guy I saw that had one had just gotten it a few days before and it took him a couple of minutes to draw, load an arrow and shoot it. The design means they're narrower and easier to get through the woods and use in a blind.

You can probably go to a sporting goods shop and find cheaper used crossbows or other bows as hunters trade them in on newer models. In Wisconsin they were originally only allowed to be used by hunters who couldn't physically draw a bow but the law was changed in 2013. Some complained about it not being sporting at first but most hunters now use them during archery season.

ironkhan57 likes this.
  3. ironkhan57

ironkhan57 Purple Belt

Where i live their are no places close to me that sell bows or arrows.

4. ironkhan57

ironkhan57 Purple Belt

Ok i think i'm going to get a crossbow that has a crank, because its easier to use, but i'll also get a compound bow too, just to have some fun with that in my backyard. And when i get my hunting license i'll go hunting with either the crossbow or the bow, choose, probably choose one of them for each season. And then when i move out of my parents house i'll get a guns license and then buy some guns.

5. ironkhan57

ironkhan57 Purple Belt

Ok well i can't get a crossbows in new jersey are illegal. So i guess i'm getting a compound bow.

Chesten_Hesten likes this.
  6. Big Tuppy Hole

Big Tuppy Hole Gold Belt

Have a look at the Benjamin pioneer airgun, something abit different

7. Cubo de Sangre

Cubo de Sangre President of the War Room

8. Chesten_Hesten

Chesten_Hesten The Wiener of Steel

Jersey! You dont need no bow in Jersey, just mesmerize them with a bitchin tan and take'em down with a menacing stare!

[​IMG]