Crocop or Pereira, a better combat sports athlete?

JustOnce

On Hiatus
@Gold
Reaction score
I was just watching some old Crocop fight, then just got me wondering about this. I supposed in the year 2024, with the way Pereira is looking, probably most will say Pereira, but just wonder.

Crocop ran into arguably two goats in kickboxing and MMA in Hoost and Fedor, whereas Pereira probably ain't beating someone like that either.

uxBn6uL.gif

Crocop is 26-8 in kickboxing, 78-8 in amatuer boxing, and 38-11 in MMA. He is the winner of k-1 GP in 2012 and Rizin GP in 2016, and PRIDE Openweight GP in 2006.

Pereira is 33-7 in kickboxing and 12-2 in MMA. A former UFC MW champ, and a current UFC LHW champion. And the former Glory MW and LHW champion.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Pereira is probably bigger than Crocop was in his kickboxing and mma peak, though Crocop is probably stronger. A head to head match up, prime for prime, I think Crocop rips Pereira a new one, whereas Pereira is more technical striker of the two. However, I do think Pereira transitioned a lot better to MMA striking game than Crocop did, probably because Pereira had so much to learn from and much better camp, whereas Crocop was and is a pioneer.

But not to really talk about who would've won in a hypothetical match up, but who you consider to be a better, more accomplished combat sports athlete. And before anyone brings up the Randleman fight, Pereira got ktfo by a lightweight.

I know that Pereira does have a lot more to show for his MMA career, but he was given a tailor made match up all the way to the top, even his LHW title shot, and I don't think Pereira would've been anywhere closer to the title if he had to go through prime Fedor, Nog and Josh, the last of whom Crocop beat thrice.

As of now Id pick Mirko. Maybe in two years I'll pick Alex if he keeps on winning. Like imagine him winning the hw title. HW might be trash but you gotta bet pretty damn good to win the belt in the div. And not to mention the mw and lhw belts to go with it.

In the long term, younger newer fans would put Alex higher most likely. He won 2 ufc belts, 2 glory belts.

Crocop, sad as it is as he is my favorite from Pride along with Wandy got koed by Brendan Schaub in UFC. Lots of casuals dont even know or even when they do dont bother watching Pride.

On paper maybe Pereira, but I also doubt he'd have the LHW belt if Jones had stayed. Fuck, maybe Cro Cop. I don't know enough about their kickboxing careers to say. Pereira not fighting Jones I'd say is about like if Cro Cop didn't fight Fedor.

Interesting thing is, they're probably about the same size. I'd give real money to see them fight each other in either sport in their prime.

I think if I had to pick one to fight, Crocop would be more dangerous. But head to head against each other, I'd probably pick Pereira. Who's more accomplished, very hard to say while Pereira is still active. The wins/losses haven't even aged yet. Who is more athletically gifted... Good question.

On paper it's easily Pereira but sometimes context does matter. Mirko fought in the Golden era of kick boxing and prime Fedor. Whereas I can't say the same for Alex. His win over Izzy was really, really good but it's a shame his LHW career is blossoming in one of the weaker, more chaotic times in the division's history. Especially after seeing Jon Jones reign.

I’d take Pereira as the better pure striker P4P but it’s hard to compare their careers.

Beating Izzy is probably the biggest win of either guys career and Pereira was also a dominate champ in KB which Mirko was not. If Pereira beats Ankalaev or any other grappling based fighter I think it’ll be pretty easy to see but outside of longevity the only edge I give Mirko is TDD and some offensive grappling skills.

Back