Critique my sparring - what should I work on?

CAlan

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
First time poster long time lurker. I am looking for some advice on what I can do to improve my sparring. The video below is a pretty typical example of how I fare when dealing with experienced opponents. Find it hard to close the distance and land many clean shots. Sometimes I feel like I am too worried about the counter and fail to commit enough. I am toying with the idea of taking my first fight this year, but I don't feel my sparring is quite there yet. Any advice on what I can work on to improve my game would be really helpful. I am the one in red shorts.

Use feints and fakes to close the distance more or move in behind your jab. Open those hips more on the kicks...seems like both of you are shrimping your kicks. More hip thrust on the teeps. Looks like light sparring but don't be afraid to commit a little more on the roundhouses...the kicks look kinda flicky.

What is your base style? Or maybe more importantly...what is the lead instructor's base style? And welcome to Sherdog...

Your first and ultimate sin is posting a vertical video. Now, with that out of the way.

You're doing well for the level you're at, and you're trying to do a lot of the right things. You're trying to move your head, you're trying to throw combos and pressure, you're fighting. That's good. Some things you are having trouble with as I see it:

Range. It seems like you're having a hard time finding your range and you are throwing your hands too far out, especially in the beginning. That might have something to do with you being afraid of the counters as well, as you said. Feinting a little as has been mentioned can draw some shots out. Work on your range and making sure you're moving to the right position as you're closing the distance and that you can actually hit the person when punching.

Dragging your leg a bit behind you on the right hand, like at 0:36 and 1:30. Keep your stance, don't let it drag behind and towards your left like that and sit down a little more on it.

Your head movement needs some work. Practice getting your hips more fluid and work on using them more. Drilling different setups. It all starts at the hips. Sinisters tile exercise thread is good in that regard, but you have to keep practicing it.

When kicking your'e chambering your kicks a little too much at times. You need to extend your hips more, both on the frontkicks and roundhouses. Just practice extending your hips more on the bag.

Mostly it's just getting better at the basics. It will come if you keep working on it and as you gain experience. Also improving posture and relaxing your shoulder girdle more will help.

Good luck with your training!

It is predominantly a MT gym in terms of striking. Personally, I started training in KB (at a TKD based school) then later transitioned to MT. I see the flicky kicks you are talking about. I think it is mostly a product of trying to go light as I don't kick pads that way. It is a good observation though, and I should be drilling proper technique even in light sparring.

Regarding closing the distance, I often find myself frustrated by opponents who move back a lot. This seems to come down to individual style. Some of my sparring partners are more likely to stand and trade or constantly push forward themselves, which allows me to work counters, slips, combos etc. But I have real trouble with someone who constantly moves backward. Feints don't seem to work - as soon as I initiate any type of movement, the opponent leaps backward and/or leans way back at the hip and throws a kick. It seems to be a very effective type of defence that I have trouble overcoming. Is rushing forward behind a flurry of strikes the best approach? I try this sometimes with varying success. Against a skilled opponent I worry I may be being baited into letting my guard down during a forward push and "rushing right into the trap" so to speak. Mentally I think I am still learning to gauge when the situation calls for cautious, judicious striking vs a more risky aggressive approach.

Gym is in Canada, they train BJJ too which is the reason for the flag.

It is predominantly a MT gym in terms of striking. Personally, I started training in KB (at a TKD based school) then later transitioned to MT. I see the flicky kicks you are talking about. I think it is mostly a product of trying to go light as I don't kick pads that way. It is a good observation though, and I should be drilling proper technique even in light sparring.

Regarding closing the distance, I often find myself frustrated by opponents who move back a lot. This seems to come down to individual style. Some of my sparring partners are more likely to stand and trade or constantly push forward themselves, which allows me to work counters, slips, combos etc. But I have real trouble with someone who constantly moves backward. Feints don't seem to work - as soon as I initiate any type of movement, the opponent leaps backward and/or leans way back at the hip and throws a kick. It seems to be a very effective type of defence that I have trouble overcoming. Is rushing forward behind a flurry of strikes the best approach? I try this sometimes with varying success. Against a skilled opponent I worry I may be being baited into letting my guard down during a forward push and "rushing right into the trap" so to speak. Mentally I think I am still learning to gauge when the situation calls for cautious, judicious striking vs a more risky aggressive approach.

I noticed what Sano mentioned also (leaving the foot in the bucket) but I'm no expert on punching so I figured someone else would have better insight. I do the same thing sometimes myself. Sinister has mentioned in the past to bring the foot up with you as you strike (hope I'm relaying that correctly).

With that kind of retreating, countering opponent...you're going to have to feint or throw a strike to draw his counter and then counter his counter. Maybe have a parry ready with a follow up or if you know they're going to throw a specific kick, have a right straight down the pipe ready.

tumblr_mzkpgspdcl1sxerwdo1_500.gif

Rushing with flurries is what a skilled counter puncher wants you to do...granted, these are extreme examples but you get what I'm saying:

anderson+silva+forrest+griffin+knockout.gif

Machida+Bader2.gif

Or just tie him up and enter the clinch lol.

You're doing pretty well but it looks like your rushing some of the roundhouse kicks and trying to throw them out as quickly as you can without pivoting your supporting foot enough behind you.

Against someone backing up, don't rush in. That's what they want you to do. Just slowly walk them down. Just know in MT you're scoring points just for walking them down. Guard up and slowly march forward. Don't let them circle away from you. Cut their corners. Trap them against the walls. Orthodox vs orthodox you can try to walk more towards the left to set up a round house or straight. Get the angle on them. You gotta be patience.

Also, try backing up yourself and when he comes forward, you lunge at him.

relax, if the guy your training with makes you uncomfortable, or hits you too hard etc etc. find a new partner. not bad, just keep practicing. I suggest slowing it down, and picking it up as you progress.

I hate sparring in an open mat area like this for Muay Thai, it lets people back up endlessly. Given the option, I always spar in the ring. If he backs away a lot you can try to work your ringmanship, cutting off their escape and working them into a corner.

Turn over your hips more on the kicks, like others have said. Does your gym have you do partner sparring drills where you actually try combos on each other, or do you endlessly hit the bag and pads all day? If you get to do drills, really try to focus on your composure while under fire. Keep the eyes open and forward, try not to flinch. Keep the guard up and answer whatever your opponent asks. Muay Thai scoring can be very tit for tat. If your opponent lands a kick, you better land two back right away.

Work the teep! He comes ins with a lot of hands. A solid teep is going to interrupt his rhythm. This is kind of dependent on your composure again, if you are bouncing all over the place the whole time you'll never really have your feet under you to throw a good teep.

Some good advice here, thanks all for the input so far. Seems like more ring time will be most beneficial for me, although sometimes I wonder why it still hasn't totally come together for me yet. I have actually been training on and off for the better part of 20 years. Some stints more serious than others, some mostly just padwork and fitness. Finally at a point in my life where I can train more seriously again, which I have been doing for about the past year. The last time my training involved a lot of regular sparring was about 10 years ago. Starting to get back into the groove now but not sure if I am quite back to where I was before. Definitely feel more banged up after sparring sessions now, and takes longer to recover! I am having fun though and training more seriously than ever. I have never had a fight but feel like it's something I need to do at least once in my life, and kinda feel like it's now or never, before age really catches up with me. I feel pretty comfortable with opponents closer to my level, just want to be able to feel that way against guys like in the video (he is my coach) which I think will give me the confidence I need to fight. Just gonna keep workin it till it gets there. Thanks again guys for your insights.

I like your attitude, and so please dont take me wrong, as this is only my opinion.
Your footwork is wrong, you are showing 2 much of your intentions with your lead foot, and not that its wrong in a way, but once its the only way, it becomes predicable. Sorry for my terrible English, but trust more in your back foot, as it can generate alot of power, angles, timing, speed, and comfortability. Relying more on your "defensive" posture doesnt necessarily mean you are less offensive. It works the other way around imo.
Thanks for sharing ;)

Last edited:
Hello ! Maybe things have already been said before but there is not enough hip involvement in your rear and low kick ( maybe due to the fact you are scared
to kick too strongly). I also think you should be more "tight" and "relaxed" in your boxing. I also very humbly noticed some mistakes in your footwork, mainly at the end of the round. I also think you should work your cross: not enough hip/torso rotation/arm punched.

I think you have a smooth style and did very well against a good opponent.

Some good advice here, thanks all for the input so far. Seems like more ring time will be most beneficial for me, although sometimes I wonder why it still hasn't totally come together for me yet. I have actually been training on and off for the better part of 20 years. Some stints more serious than others, some mostly just padwork and fitness. Finally at a point in my life where I can train more seriously again, which I have been doing for about the past year. The last time my training involved a lot of regular sparring was about 10 years ago. Starting to get back into the groove now but not sure if I am quite back to where I was before. Definitely feel more banged up after sparring sessions now, and takes longer to recover! I am having fun though and training more seriously than ever. I have never had a fight but feel like it's something I need to do at least once in my life, and kinda feel like it's now or never, before age really catches up with me. I feel pretty comfortable with opponents closer to my level, just want to be able to feel that way against guys like in the video (he is my coach) which I think will give me the confidence I need to fight. Just gonna keep workin it till it gets there. Thanks again guys for your insights.
No offense, I am in no way better than your coach... But if the guy in your video is really your head coach, I would seriously consider another school.

Last edited:

So a few things, because this specific frustration (someone moving back all the time) is a common one with people who don't spar in a ring much. Basically, the problem you're describing is one that is solved in a fight by pressure footwork and cutting off the cage. However, when just sparring on an open mat this is very hard to do because you can't back him into a corner and it's very easy for him to go straight back rather than circling out (which he's have to do in a ring or cage, and which creates good chances for certain types of strikes, most circular ones like round kicks and hooks that he'd be moving into as he circled). So I'd try to spar in the ring if you can, and if not still try to practice pressuring him with your feet because even if he is moving back you can move more quickly forward. An example would be if he's jumping back off your feints, just slightly feint but be ready to cover a lot of distance moving behind the feint to catch him as he's resetting his feet off the jump backwards. Also layering your combos is very important here. If you throw kicks as your initial attack he moves back, you have no longer range weapon. If you get in punching range and lead with your hands, as he moves back you'll usually have the chance to land a kick because he won't have moved out of your kicking range yet. There are also specific things you can to to get into range like skipping knees or feinting a kick and then hopping in behind your knee shield, so maybe research that a little too.

I'll also note that he's kicking with quite a bit more speed and power than you are here, and it's making a difference in his kick %. You're wearing shin guards, you're not going to hurt each other with body and leg kicks, let your feet go a little more. I think you're seeing the openings pretty well you're just not throwing fast enough to find homes for your kicks.

In general I think you're doing okay here, just open up a little more, I think you can throw a little faster without overstepping the limits of 'technical' sparring.

Keep up the good work. Train hard and you will develop into a better fighter.

A lot of things have been said already. My advice is to do much more body shots. Hooks on the body. This guy you are sparring holds his hands pretty high while blocking so deliver some body shots, ideally a hook on the liver.

Back