Critique my bag work (boxing)

AminoAcid

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Been boxing for 2 months now. Any and all feedback will be appreciated.

Don't mind my messy garage. This was my last round. I go to an actual gym to train but couldn't today.

I have seen the progress I made and am satisfied. I will not settle however, so tear me apart and help me get better!

Looking decent for 2 months, I'd work on not 'bouncing' as that can be timed. ie when you bounce you're not in a position to throw because not properly balanced...and the other guy can time your bouncing for when he sees your jab hand drop. Maybe try moving in and out sharper by stepping rather than bouncing.
keep up the good work thats good progress for 2 months.

Lol

Obviously you didn't start boxing 2 months ago .....

Lol

He probably watched some old boxing matches and is a visual learner but he definitely looks like he can knock someone out, he's got good technique, good power, and seems very technical while also having good head movement.

When you "bounce" backwards your left is consistently dropping, fyi.

Looking decent for 2 months, I'd work on not 'bouncing' as that can be timed. ie when you bounce you're not in a position to throw because not properly balanced...and the other guy can time your bouncing for when he sees your jab hand drop. Maybe try moving in and out sharper by stepping rather than bouncing.
keep up the good work thats good progress for 2 months.

Thanks for the feedback man. I'll work on not always bouncing and instead moving in and out quickly.

Lol

He probably watched some old boxing matches and is a visual learner but he definitely looks like he can knock someone out, he's got good technique, good power, and seems very technical while also having good head movement.

Yeah man, I have been watching boxing and MMA for years. I would say I do have a slight tendency to learn things a bit quicker than some - only about the things I obsess over though.

Thanks for the feedback. I have seen your vids too bro and you're looking real good too.

Yeah man, I have been watching boxing and MMA for years. I would say I do have a slight tendency to learn things a bit quicker than some - only about the things I obsess over though.

Thanks for the feedback. I have seen your vids too bro and you're looking real good too.

Ty that means a lot especially since I don't have an instructor to help me improve.

Will you get an instructor eventually?

Yeah hopefully, gyms in new jersey are expensive as hell and all want you to sign a contract. I think some in central jersey don't want you to sign one and I know of one in south Jersey that my old instructor set up, but I got to find a new job fast.

Just out of curiosity, how long do you think I've been boxing for?

Certainly longer than two months

Youre throwing straight fast shots, you bring your hands back, you can move your head and throw without going off balance, you can bounce and throw without going off balance and your feet are correct. You're even doing more advanced things like switching stances in the middle of combos

You dont look like that after two months of training....

How old are you?

Last edited:
You can tell he's either fought before, or done a sport that is similar to boxing or is boxing. Maybe did it years ago and picked it up again.

-Your judging of distance for shots is fine,
-balance fine (other than if gettting caught bouncing between shots),
-right hand is always up and ready.
-Changing angles of approach etc.

Whats the deal OP? Have you fought in muay thai before or something?

Certainly longer than two months

Youre throwing straight fast shots, you bring your hands back, you can move your head and throw without going off balance, you can bounce and throw without going off balance and your feet are correct. You're even doing more advanced things like switching stances in the middle of combos

You dont look like that after two months of training....

How old are you?
You can tell he's either fought before, or done a sport that is similar to boxing or is boxing. Maybe did it years ago and picked it up again.

-Your judging of distance for shots is fine,
-balance fine (other than if gettting caught bouncing between shots),
-right hand is always up and ready.
-Changing angles of approach etc.

Whats the deal OP? Have you fought in muay thai before or something?

I would be lying if I said that the first punch I ever threw in my life was 2 months ago. I used to scrap my elder brother when I was little (we would punch and kick each other, just no headshots lol). However, none of us at the time had any sort of training or coaching. We never even tried to receive any training via the internet - we would just watch MMA and try and copy what they did.

I also had a few alterations here and there growing up, but never an amateur fight.

I am pleased by your replies. I have learned a lot in these last 2 months. However, I suppose progression is not linear - it's different for everyone.

Having a great coach helps. I'm a student of the game. I always ask questions and I always pick his brain.

I Just recently turned 22 btw. I've been playing sports all my life growing up (basketball, swimming, working-out, etc). Maybe that helps?

I would be lying if I said that the first punch I ever threw in my life was 2 months ago. I used to scrap my elder brother when I was little (we would punch and kick each other, just no headshots lol). However, none of us at the time had any sort of training or coaching. We never even tried to receive any training via the internet - we would just watch MMA and try and copy what they did.

I also had a few alterations here and there growing up, but never an amateur fight.

I am pleased by your replies. I have learned a lot in these last 2 months. However, I suppose progression is not linear - it's different for everyone.

Having a great coach helps. I'm a student of the game. I always ask questions and I always pick his brain.

I Just recently turned 22 btw. I've been playing sports all my life growing up (basketball, swimming, working-out, etc). Maybe that helps?

It still seems like you've had more training. I grew up fighting too (on my first day of primary school I was infront of the headmaster lol)...but things like keeping proper stance while moving, proper balance using front part of the feet while throwing is something not many people (ive never met anyone) who could put t all together in 2 months.

Are you showing up 5 days a week and having much 1 on 1 time with a trainer? Has he suggested you fight anytime soon?

Swimming and basketball definitely help, I was in a few scraps to in my days, I learnt how to fight basically watching Jackie chan and Bruce Lee movies, like you I am a visual learner I learnt everything I knew back then from watching movies and TV shows like that and was able to copy most of the things, even playing tekken helped. I use to get into fights with my brothers and my cousins, and when I went into Newark and east orange I use to cause trouble over at the mosque over their and near my dads dominos, when I started training I hadn't been in a fight for 4 years. You got muscle memory from everything that's the thing, what a lot of people don't know is you can learn a lot from movies, video games and TV shows but not as much as when you watch boxing or mma.

Edit: I'm only 21 years old so I think saying "back in my day" makes me sound older but idgaf.

Last edited:
It still seems like you've had more training. I grew up fighting too (on my first day of primary school I was infront of the headmaster lol)...but things like keeping proper stance while moving, proper balance using front part of the feet while throwing is something not many people (ive never met anyone) who could put t all together in 2 months.

Are you showing up 5 days a week and having much 1 on 1 time with a trainer? Has he suggested you fight anytime soon?

Well he definitely looks like he can knock people out so I think with in like the next 3 months, because I know people who are prodigies that didn't have their first fight until 4-6 months into training, by 6 months max he should get the chance to fight.

Ive never received any formal training/coaching before these past 2 months. I'm not sure man, maybe I just have a knack for it?

I actually train at an MMA gym currently. The main reason for this is because prior to 2 months ago, I had never done a combat sport, so I wanted to see what I enjoyed more - boxing or kickboxing. For the first month or so, I favoured both equally and was putting equal time to both arts. However, over the last 4 weeks I have geared towards boxing (for now).

I attend 3 boxing classes a week with sparring being included in 1 of those classes. The classes are 1 hour long each. However, the other days I train at home (basically reiterating everything I learned the day before and then some) for about 2 hours. I also do rosdwork, jump rope and strength training exercises.

I've never actually had a 1 on 1 session with my cosch before. However, I notice that he gives me a lot of the attention - he's always watching over my shoulder in his classes and giving me tips, etc. He hasn't said anything about when my first fight will be, but he's a great coach and I'll trust his judgement.

Swimming and basketball definitely help, I was in a few scraps to in my days, I learnt how to fight basically watching Jackie chan and Bruce Lee movies, like you I am a visual learner I learnt everything I knew back then from watching movies and TV shows like that and was able to copy most of the things, even playing tekken helped. I use to get into fights with my brothers and my cousins, and when I went into Newark and east orange I use to cause trouble over at the mosque over their and near my dads dominos, when I started training I hadn't been in a fight for 4 years. You got muscle memory from everything that's the thing, what a lot of people don't know is you can learn a lot from movies, video games and TV shows but not as much as when you watch boxing or mma.

Edit: I'm only 21 years old so I think saying "back in my day" makes me sound older but idgaf.

Ahaha Jackie Chan was the bomb. I grew up watching those movies too. I agree, the muscle memory from other sports definitely does play a factor, and being a visual learner helps even more.

21 huh? You're younger than Me!

Back