Critical BJJ Technique - Shin Across Half Guard Tips

JJC VT1

White Belt
Reaction score
VT1 Gym brings you another video on BJJ techniques and strategies for you to add to your game. This week head coach Liam Resnekov shows some of the basics of playing shin across half guard. This will help prevent you getting passed and will also set up a tilt sweep and leg lock attacks. Try it out and let us know what you think.

I hate going against guys with guards like this.And tips on passing it?

I don't have any pro-tips. What I usually do is disengage, back out, stand up and pass from standing. Usually that means I have to deal with spider guard or a sweep attempt of some sort. Maybe they go to de la riva. But I don't care as long as I don't have to mess about trying to pass a very good defensive guard.

I "know" a couple of passes there, but the only one that really works for me if I'm intent on passing it, is pushing the knee across to put my weight on it with my chest, pushing it to the ground, hugging the legs and doing the sprawling pass. Dunno what else to call it.

So Pushing the knee across. Sprawling on top of the legs while hugging them tight walk around on your tippy toes. If they block your hips, just switch sides.

Actually. This video describes it better than I ever will:

Hmm this is what the guy I was rolling with yesterday was doing to me good stuff

I hate going against guys with guards like this.And tips on passing it?

This is my favorite guard. Break his grips, avoid letting him get the near overhook especially in a gi - if he has the overhook and is gripping your/his lapel you're getting swept to your back 95% of the time. You can try stuffing the leg but it's easy to create space and regain the Z-guard or transition to deep or traditional halfguard. Regain your posture. If he has crossed his feet then you need to get them unentangled. Then stand (usually I go to DLR or X-Guard when this happens) and try not to get dragged back into the Z-guard. Also, don't let them get the shin across and kneebar you, or get the near underhook to try to take your back or sweep. Don't let them touch your legs generally either. You should really try to disengage rather than pass the Z-guard. Hmm, yeah . . . very difficult guard to play against. :)

This is my favorite guard. Break his grips, avoid letting him get the near overhook especially in a gi - if he has the overhook and is gripping your/his lapel you're getting swept to your back 95% of the time. You can try stuffing the leg but it's easy to create space and regain the Z-guard or transition to deep or traditional halfguard. Regain your posture. If he has crossed his feet then you need to get them unentangled. Then stand (usually I go to DLR or X-Guard when this happens) and try not to get dragged back into the Z-guard. Also, don't let them get the shin across and kneebar you, or get the near underhook to try to take your back or sweep. Don't let them touch your legs generally either. You should really try to disengage rather than pass the Z-guard. Hmm, yeah . . . very difficult guard to play against. :)

I think a much easier approach in most cases is simply to clear the knee (putting them back into regular half-guard), and then flatten them out with pressure and pass from there.

Clearing the knee can be a chore, but there are tricks/strategies. Once cleared, you have to trap your body to theirs, hard, because they'll immediately try very hard to replace the z/shield.

Last edited:
This is my bread and butter pass. Get the guy flattened out before he can work a counter:

Back