Country Rankings 2023! How does your country stack up?

You got any info on the suicide stats? I bet we're crushing those.

The happiest country in the world also has one of the highest suicide rates in Europe?

<JagsKiddingMe>

All the unhappy Finns suicided.

You got any info on the suicide stats? I bet we're crushing those.

Suicide Rate:

(1) Antigua and Barbuda
(2) Barbados
(3) Grenada
(68) UK
(115) Canada
(146) Finland
(153) USA
(160) Latvia

If you count Russia as European it has the highest suicide rate in Europe, if you don't Lithuania is highest in Europe. Finland is seventh / eighth.

There are 195 countries in the world but only 183 on the list. Leaving aside those mystery countries, Russia has the 11th and Lithuania the 14th highest suicide rate in the world.

Suicide Rate:

(1) Antigua and Barbuda
(2) Barbados
(3) Grenada
(68) UK
(115) Canada
(146) Finland
(153) USA
(160) Latvia

If you count Russia as European it has the highest suicide rate in Europe, if you don't Lithuania is highest in Europe. Finland is seventh / eighth.

There are 195 countries in the world but only 183 on the list. Leaving aside those mystery countries, Russia has the 11th and Lithuania the 14th highest suicide rate in the world.
7th out 44 countries is pretty high for the happiest country in the world, no?

7th out 44 countries is pretty high for the happiest country in the world, no?
Yeah it's an interesting combination. I'm sure academics have studied it and there is material on it. The eastern European countries have higher murder and suicide rates and the northern ones are the happiest so Finland is at that intersection.

Yeah it's an interesting combination. I'm sure academics have studied it and there is material on it. The eastern European countries have higher murder and suicide rates and the northern ones are the happiest so Finland is at that intersection.
Not sure, cause Sweden and Norway are both higher than the European average too, and so is Iceland. Trying to rank the "happiness" of entire countries is pretty dubious at best.

Suicide rate. European average is 10.5, Iceland is 11.2, Norway is 11.8, and Sweden is 12.4
This site gives just the European stats,meaning you don't have to sort through non European countries. Although it includes Cyprus and Turkey.

(out of 41 - average is 12.93)

Finland: 11th - 15.3
Sweden: 14th - 14.7
Iceland: 21st - 11.9
Norway: 23rd - 11.8
Denmark: 29th - 10.7

Iceland, Norway and Denmark are below average here. Sweden and Finland are above but not by a great amount. I know high latitude and gun availability correlate with suicide. I expect hunting is more popular in these countries, except Denmark, than in most of Europe. Danes could have rifles at home and go and hunt with them in Norway I suppose. The Danish figure presumably includes Greenland, which has a low population but the highest suicide rate in the world.

Surprised to see the UK so high up. That place gets noticeably worse every time I visit.

Almost everyone you walk past is tattoed to the gills, a cigarette in their gobs. The streets are grimy, cigarette butts on the floor.

Every high street is full of tattoo parlors, vape shops, off licenses, charity shops. The whole place is becoming a grimy s**thole.
Do the people actually have gills or did you just assume they have them because of the webbed fingers? If so why were you in Norfolk?

This site gives just the European stats,meaning you don't have to sort through non European countries. Although it includes Cyprus and Turkey.

(out of 41 - average is 12.93)

Finland: 11th - 15.3
Sweden: 14th - 14.7
Iceland: 21st - 11.9
Norway: 23rd - 11.8
Denmark: 29th - 10.7

Iceland, Norway and Denmark are below average here. Sweden and Finland are above but not by a great amount. I know high latitude and gun availability correlate with suicide. I expect hunting is more popular in these countries, except Denmark, than in most of Europe. Danes could have rifles at home and go and hunt with them in Norway I suppose. The Danish figure presumably includes Greenland, which has a low population but the highest suicide rate in the world.

Average suicide case here is a lonely guy in his 50s, most cases are tied with loneliness really

I was looking at the education index and thinking "no Asian countries at the top? This can't be right..." then I looked up how they measure the darn thing. Turns out the education index is just a measure of how long people are in school - it doesn't measure literacy, math, or any kind of knowledge, skills, or ability to use logic & reason. Yeah. I wouldn't be surprised if the other measures are similarly broken.
Which Asian countries are leading the way for education?

This is an alternative list I found.

The Top 10 Most-Educated Countries (OECD 2018)
Canada — 56.27%
Japan — 50.50%
Israel — 49.90%
South Korea — 46.86%
United Kingdom — 45.96%
United States — 45.67%
Australia — 43.74%
Finland — 43.60%
Norway — 43.02%
Luxembourg — 42.86

Back