Countering Hybrid spider guard DLR guard

spiderguarda

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Any hints on defending and passing the Leandro Lo guard? The one with the DLR guard with the other side using the spider guard? Once they pull me over them using the spider guard grip, they can go into x guard or a double ankle grab sweep then it's hard to counter. But if I can get rid of the spider guard grip then I'm safe and the guard player has to go back to the traditional DLR guard which has passes such as the long step to the DLR hook side and sitting or stuffing the non-DLR hook leg between your legs and use various guard passes from that position. Lovato to calls it the headquarter position.

I tend to pass spider with the hip bump leg drag, it works equally well against hybrid DLR.

I tend to pass spider with the hip bump leg drag, it works equally well against hybrid DLR.

Thanks. I was hoping for counters after this guard has been forced on you. I found something and the recommendation was to lower your base and get low to prevent the sweeps. Not much specific counters.

Thanks. I was hoping for counters after this guard has been forced on you. I found something and the recommendation was to lower your base and get low to prevent the sweeps. Not much specific counters.

What I gave you is a pass that works once you're in that guard. Lowering your base is idiotic, you'll get swept quite quickly there if the spider hook is extended. In normal spider you can get low to strip the hooks because your legs aren't compromised, in DLR/spider getting low just means you're extended with no base. Stand up fairly tall, keep your knees pointing inward and tight to slow down the kick through to X, get good control on the pants of the spider hook, and then hip bump + leg drag to pass.

What I gave you is a pass that works once you're in that guard. Lowering your base is idiotic, you'll get swept quite quickly there if the spider hook is extended. In normal spider you can get low to strip the hooks because your legs aren't compromised, in DLR/spider getting low just means you're extended with no base. Stand up fairly tall, keep your knees pointing inward and tight to slow down the kick through to X, get good control on the pants of the spider hook, and then hip bump + leg drag to pass.

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't think about the use of the knees to slow down the kicking leg to X.

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't think about the use of the knees to slow down the kicking leg to X.

If you watch the Mendes bros, one thing you're notice is that they constantly keep their knees close together pointed inwards, dropping low. Almost like a James Brown dance move. The reason they do this is because it prevents the guard player from inserting butterfly hooks or kicking a leg through to X. With the hybrid spider/DLR there's only one leg the guarder is going to kick through, so you really only need to worry about it on that side. But if you keep that knee lower and slightly turned in it will make it much harder for uke to get his desired position. When I'm playing spider/DLR and trying to kick through this strategy annoys me as it forces me to really spread you out with the spider hook to create the space to kick through. It's a pain in the ass for the guard player.

I think bending knee inward is more defensive, after it's too late to keep the knee outward from DLR.

Keeping it pointing out kills the dlr hook. If it's too late, and you can no longer turn your knee out, that's when you would have to turn inward. Unless I'm missing something.

I think bending knee inward is more defensive, after it's too late to keep the knee outward from DLR.

Keeping it pointing out kills the dlr hook. If it's too late, and you can no longer turn your knee out, that's when you would have to turn inward. Unless I'm missing something.

Generally the hybrid spider/DLR the guard player is not looking for any normal DLR sort of attacks, they're looking to shoot the hooking leg in-between your legs to go to X ala Leandro Lo. So it's not as if the DLR hook is exerting pressure and has to be cleared as in normal DLR, it's usually held loosely just for defensive purposes anyway. As such the concern isn't having your knee actively turned in by the hook, it's that if your knee is turned out uke can easily shoot his leg between yours and go to 1X. That's what you need to prevent.

Generally the hybrid spider/DLR the guard player is not looking for any normal DLR sort of attacks, they're looking to shoot the hooking leg in-between your legs to go to X ala Leandro Lo. So it's not as if the DLR hook is exerting pressure and has to be cleared as in normal DLR, it's usually held loosely just for defensive purposes anyway. As such the concern isn't having your knee actively turned in by the hook, it's that if your knee is turned out uke can easily shoot his leg between yours and go to 1X. That's what you need to prevent.

I see what you're saying. And if you keep turning the knee out, they shoot under and can lift you forward/over them. I wasn't visualizing it properly.

Thanks.

Back