Could you have created a better world than god?

meauneau

Double Yellow Card
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
If you were maximally powerful, maximally knowledgeable, perfectly moral and maximally good, how would you have created a world that is better than this one?

I would have created a world with no cancer, no alzheimers and no parkinsonis. Imagine the exact same world as this one but without the 3 diseases I mentioned. Wouldn't it be a better world than the actual one, with less pain and suffering?

Wouldn't you choose this world over the actual one?

Interesting rephrasing of Euthyphro.

I see your world, and raise you one less starving child. It's why this exercise is nonsensical.

Since it wasn't created by an omnipotent supernatural entity, the question is moot.

But yes, at least one that makes a bit more sense.

First I'd fix the division situation and title shot requirements

Well until we understand every aspect of this world I don't think any of us would be in position to say.

I think a far more interesting question is, do you think you can create a better world than evolution?

Why would I want that much work. It's new years, I'm going to drink champagne and eat cake.

Just imagine the overpopulation if you got rid of those diseases. The stampedes on Black Fridays would be horrific!

I don't think I would try.

Because for every action there would be an unintended reaction.

I too would be very butthurt if anyone could think of a better world than the actual one. It has to be painful to believe in a maximally good god who is morally perfect yet allows gratuitous suffering to occur.

You common responses that we don't know this we don't know that, ie you skeptical theism, doesn't even come close to addressing the very pressing issue with your absurd worldview.

Since it wasn't created by an omnipotent supernatural entity, the question is moot.

Exactly.

According to those at the cutting edge of science and technology we now know it is a computer simulation created by our highly advanced descendants.

Last edited:
I too would be very butthurt if anyone could think of a better world than the actual one. It has to be painful to believe in a maximally good god who is morally perfect yet allows gratuitous suffering to occur.

You common responses that we don't know this we don't know that, ie you skeptical theism, doesn't even come close to addressing the very pressing issue with your absurd worldview.

Maybe God's Love is so great and so vast and so broad that it includes things like starving children, ALS and genocide.

As mere mortals it is arrogant in the extreme to assume we can comprehend the immensity of the Creator's Love.

And the Creator doesn't like arrogance.

Which also reminds me I forgot to add eternal torment to the definition of God's Love.

Yes.

Gods an idiot and fucked tons of stuff up.

1. We will never agree on a proper metric for better, so this pointless.
2. You aren't omniscient, so I doubt you know how a world with cancer or disease plays out. For all we know, your world could have already ended in a nuclear holocaust or some shit.

1. We will never agree on a proper metric for better, so this pointless.
2. You aren't omniscient, so I doubt you know how a world with cancer or disease plays out. For all we know, your world could have already ended in a nuclear holocaust or some shit.

I thought it was obvious that better meant less pain and suffering, gratuitous or not.

It follows from my definition that if my world has less pain and suffering it is better that the actual one. Whether this is good or not is an open question though.

Back