Could you be champ while working full-time or training <5 years in any division outside HW?

Yes, son?
Can I put my arms down now? When are you coming home?
SteveReeves1.jpg

This could happen in half the WMMA divisions, if that counts.

But it illustrates how young the sport of MMA is still along with how much of a niche sport it is.

It’s not like he’s working everyday. Fire fighters actually have some real flexible schedules. He can work 7 straight days and be off for a month, by doing mutuals. At least that’s how it was explained to me by some FDYN friends.
Mutuals/swaps are the best. I swapped off a entire month once. I'm going for 44 days straight during the summer. It gets boring after a while but sleeping in is worth it.

Can any of the other champions beat Stipe in a fight while he works a job and they train round the clock for him? Nothing against the other weight classes
This. Set up an open-weight tourney, and a weekend warrior 250lber will beat the piss out of a 150lb p4p king who's life is training.

Mutuals/swaps are the best. I swapped off a entire month once. I'm going for 44 days straight during the summer. It gets boring after a while but sleeping in is worth it.

Sounds like a pretty tits job to me, when you’re not running into a burning building haha. Much respect to you.

When you think about it, Tyson was champ after what? 7 years of training?

Started at 13? Was barely 20 when he beat Berbick.

HW is just one of the worst divisions, across every sport.

It's clear why the UFC is investing in Ngannou, they think they have a big HW star on their hands.

Sounds like a pretty tits job to me, when you’re not running into a burning building haha. Much respect to you.
Nah I'm not a fire fighter, I'm too soft for that. I'm a CO.

When you think about it, Tyson was champ after what? 7 years of training?

Started at 13? Was barely 20 when he beat Berbick.

HW is just one of the worst divisions, across every sport.

It's clear why the UFC is investing in Ngannou, they think they have a big HW star on their hands.
I think it's rare to find athletic big people. And if you come across athletic big people, they chose to play football more than any sport. Doesn't take away from Tyson being an absolute stud and a bad motherfucker. Serious, how many 265lbs people you know can throw a head kick on someone who stands 6'0 or higher?

Fuck no. HW is a joke. It’s 2018 and guys like Overeem and Arlovski are still considered elite competition. If Ngannou was smaller he’d just be another Melvin Guillard caliber guy.

I think it's rare to find athletic big people. And if you come across athletic big people, they chose to play football more than any sport. Doesn't take away from Tyson being an absolute stud and a bad motherfucker. Serious, how many 265lbs people you know can throw a head kick on someone who stands 6'0 or higher?
I definitely agree with you on that.

Even if you're an "explosive" person, you may not necessarily be that great of an athlete, honestly.

The question I've always posed is, don't most elite Footballers play the sport from a young age? How do you know they'll be big? You'll find athletes given the sheer number of kids that play, but no one knows how big someone will be until they reach, what? Age 14? 15? Provided you can you develop the skills to become a good player by age 17 to get into a good college and 20 when most go pro?

There's probably a few big athletic freaks out there who just dn't have the skills to hang, even in the CFL. Wasn't that the case with Lesnar? He was big and a freak athletically, but didn't have the skills necessary to make the Vikings.

What I'm getting at is, if you're big and athletic by the time you're 14 say, would you just "choose" to play football and would you end up in the NFL or even CFL? Would you have the skills?

Think about Basketball, how often do you get a 7 footer just get drafted without many years of playing at a young age?

Size is a hard thing to guess when it comes to human development, alot of big men have small parents, sometimes big parents have small children.

Look at Karelin for example 1(his parents were small comparatively) and Psycho Sid for example 2(I think he has 2 sons, the one who competed on Big Brother looks wimpy compared to the giant)

I definitely agree with you on that.

Even if you're an "explosive" person, you may not necessarily be that great of an athlete, honestly.

The question I've always posed is, don't most elite Footballers play the sport from a young age? How do you know they'll be big? You'll find athletes given the sheer number of kids that play, but no one knows how big someone will be until they reach, what? Age 14? 15? Provided you can you develop the skills to become a good player by age 17 to get into a good college and 20 when most go pro?

There's probably a few big athletic freaks out there who just dn't have the skills to hang, even in the CFL. Wasn't that the case with Lesnar? He was big and a freak athletically, but didn't have the skills necessary to make the Vikings.

What I'm getting at is, if you're big and athletic by the time you're 14 say, would you just "choose" to play football and would you end up in the NFL or even CFL? Would you have the skills?

Think about Basketball, how often do you get a 7 footer just get drafted without many years of playing at a young age?

Size is a hard thing to guess when it comes to human development, alot of big men have small parents, sometimes big parents have small children.

Look at Karelin for example 1(his parents were small comparatively) and Psycho Sid for example 2(I think he has 2 sons, the one who competed on Big Brother looks wimpy compared to the giant)
Some kids you can tell at an early age they will be big or some develop stills at a position that better suits them and they add size to their frame as they age.

Yes, if you are 14, 5'11 and 265lbs+, chances are you're going to play football. I was a big kid and I wasn't gonna try out for no basketball or soccer. The gridiron was better suited for me. In high school you got kids as seniors benching 405lbs+. Sorry but if I had the opportunity to play pro ball or fight in the UFC, I'm playing pro ball.

As for Lesnar, he was too raw. Lesnar never played football IIRC and Lesnar was way undersized at the position he was playing. He played defensive tackle, and the average DT is 6'3+ and 320lbs+. He got washed when he went up against offensive linemen who were bigger. Was a one trick pony who only bull-rushed. No spin or rip moves and he stood too tall when battling in the trenches. They wanted Lesnar to go overseas to NFL Europe (now defunct) to better his skills and he declined.

Back