Could Jacob Volkmann be champion?

Righteous Jon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
First of all, where is Volkmann? On his twitter he said it's been over 2 months and the ufc hasn't scheduled him one yet.

Secondly, Volkmann strikes me as a Chael type fighter who is just extremely grindy and hard to stay afloat with. Benson has some very great skills, and I see him as a GSP type of fighter that doesn't really have the ability to finish, but a hell of a lot of ability to f you up.

Do you guys agree that Volkmann would put up a good challenge for Benson? I think he could beat him if he played his cards right. On the other hand, Benson is a big guy and maybe Volkmann is just too small. I'd still really like to see this fight.

He is a poor mans Sonnen.

And if Sonnen can't do it... Then Christmas won't either

No, not if Paul Sass has anything to say about it.

Baby Sonnen isn't going to be making too much noise in the division. He's a good fighter and has solid control but he doesn't have enough skills to be top 15 in a stacked division.

Doubt it. He's a great wrestler, but so are a lot of the top lightweights like Henderson, Maynard and Edgar (if he ever moves back up, which wouldn't surprise me if Aldo beats him). I'm sure there are plenty of guys that could sub him as well, just like Sass did. Miller, Diaz, Cerrone, Pettis, Lauzon etc are all very good with submissions.

It's just a really tough division for anybody, I wouldn't be shocked if he pulled off a strong upset of a well regarded fighter in the future, though.

He's got as much chance as Pat Barry becoming UFC HW champ.

1076-nopejpg.jpg

Well... He has to worry about making Dana and Joe Silva happy and actually GET fights before he has to worry about winning them...

Let alone winning them in entertaining fashion so they give him bigger name guys.

First of all, where is Volkmann? On his twitter he said it's been over 2 months and the ufc hasn't scheduled him one yet.

Secondly, Volkmann strikes me as a Chael type fighter who is just extremely grindy and hard to stay afloat with. Benson has some very great skills, and I see him as a GSP type of fighter that doesn't really have the ability to finish, but a hell of a lot of ability to f you up.

Do you guys agree that Volkmann would put up a good challenge for Benson? I think he could beat him if he played his cards right. On the other hand, Benson is a big guy and maybe Volkmann is just too small. I'd still really like to see this fight.

Obvious troll

He's got as much chance as Pat Barry becoming UFC HW champ.

Wow, couldn't have picked a worse example of a fighter to have used in comparison with Volkmann. Barrys situation is irrelevant to this thread.

Who is Volkman? I have heard the name many times but cant recal seeing him fight?

He absolutely destroyed Shane Roller and no one was even talking about it. People just like to hate on the guy. I think Volkmann needs to fight some other higher tier fighters and see what happens.

No, just no. Volkman has the ability to make any fight a lackluster wrestling match and that's about it.

Back