Media Cory Sandhagen: "I'm DEFINITELY Moving Up To 145/Featherweight"

I haven't seen his 145 physique and power so it's hard to tell, but I think 135 suits him well where he has that frame advantage and at 145 he'll be up against more power in the striking and more muscle behind the takedowns so I think he's best at 135

keep waiting for this guy to grab a belt. surprised it hasn't happened yet.
If he beats Umar, he’s getting the next TS (Unless there’s a BS instant rematch if Merab beats O’Malley). The problem has been him losing those fights in the past. And I definitely favour Merab over Sandhagen. But, I could be wrong.

This Umar fight might show us a lot. If he loses that he may want to move up.

I’d like to see him at FW. It might be a good move. Lots of fighters fo well after moving up in weight. And he certainly can pack muscle onto that 5’11” frame.

Always a fan, and I do actually think he has what it takes to hang with Max and Volk now that he is more seasoned. Not sure he grabs the strap though, unless it falls into another’s hands. I’m hoping though.

Well Max showed us.

Half ass the move up and you’ll punch like a smaller guy. Technically he held his own against Poirier but was outgunned by quite a big power difference. Hoping Poirier gassing seemed like the only chance.

Or

Add the proper size and muscle of a LW and absolutely melt one of the heaviest hitting counter strikers in the division with striking we’ve never seen either technical striker get to showcase because they lacked the muscle.

Could Sandhagen add the same athletic ability Holloway did? If he could I’d think he’s a legit title threat but obviously it’s not a given.

What's he going to do?

Take three years off and go on the Conor and Jones diet? If he's waiting for the FW division to weaken and thin out, he'll be riding the pines for a long time.

Cory is big enough to compete at FW. He will look better with some meat on him like Max a LW. Topuria, Volk and Max quite an obstacle to the title but Cory could at least be a contender similar to his BW level. Cory and Sean would be an interesting match, other than that would be more interesting to see Cory at FW.

I think he definitely should at some point. With his frame i think he's definitely the type of guy who could find a new level a weight class up not depleting himself quite so much. And he's already extremely good as it is. So interesting to see where he could end up.

depends if he gets strong enough to deal with the 145ers. at 135 he seems physically weak.

He can probably even do 155. He has a pretty big frame and can pack more weight on it.

Back