Corporal Punishment in schools still a thing in America in 2018...

Letting schools have all the fun?

When I was a kid my dad beat the shit out of me. And I can't wait to have my own kids so I can beat the shit out of them.

-dennis leary

Physical abuse is never the answer. If a child does wrong they need to understand WHY they did wrong. You accomplish that through discussion and not violence.

Of course in this case the kids did nothing wrong

There are plenty of kids that know full well that what they did was wrong and simply don't give a fuck.
A small child can understand that stealing is wrong, starting fights is wrong, bullying is wrong--when you get to become a teenager and you're still doing that shit, it's because you don't care. What sort of conversation does one need to have with a 14 year old that intentionally broke a window? Does a child really not understand that stealing a car is bad?

Should corporal punishment be the first or primary method of punishment? No, of course not. But that it is "never" the answer? I don't agree with that.
You can't reason with everyone. Some people need consequences in order to be checked. A slap can be an effective consequence and deterrent.

In this particular case, I think corporal punishment is absurd. I am not against corporal punishment in schools...but I'm not exactly sure when I would be okay with it either.
For a high school student though, no. They need more adult like consequences at that age.
I'd okay with it for elementary to middle school though.

Three students in a rural part of Arkansas will allegedly be smacked for participating in Wednesday’s national walkout protesting against gun violence.

Despite that drastic punishment, one student’s mother, Jerusalem J. Greer, applauded her son and the other students at Greenbrier Public School for their defiant protest following the deadly shooting that killed 15 students and two adults at Stoneman Douglas High School last month in Parkland, Florida.

According to Greenbrier Public School’s official policy, the school board “authorizes the use of corporal punishment to be administered in accordance with this policy by the Superintendent or his/her designated staff members who are required to have a state-issued license as a condition of their employment.”

The handbook says that before students are smacked they are to be “given an explanation of the reasons for the punishment and be given an opportunity to refute the charges. administered privately, i.e. out of the sight and hearing of other students.”

While 31 states across the U.S. have banned corporal punishment, four years ago The Washington Post reported that 19 states still allow administrators to hit students.

Greenbrier Public School, which is located in a town of roughly 5,000 people, only first adopted the seemingly outdated disciplinary policy in 2005 and last updated it in 2012.

The rural Arkansas school’s policy does caution administrations that the physical punishment should not be “excessive, or administered with malice” and should be administered in the presence of another school official or licensed staff member of the district.

The school’s assistant principal, Brett Meek, hung up the phone when The Daily Beast reached out for comment on the school’s regulations. The school’s superintendent, Scott Spainhour, did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/teens...arkansas-for-participating-in-student-walkout

Would you allow your kid to be paddled? As a high schooler would you accept being paddled?

There is a professional license one can attain to be able to paddle? Can a male teacher paddle a teenage girl?

I knew this still existed, but I thought it required parental consent.

Deport anybody who doesn't see this as obviously and completely fucked up and wrong.

Violence in schools. What a great message to teach the students...

Forget the paddle, just baby powder them brats
GiantNippyAustraliancurlew-size_restricted.gif

I've been a naughty naughty boy. Someone might need to spank me.

Three students in a rural part of Arkansas will allegedly be smacked for participating in Wednesday’s national walkout protesting against gun violence.

Despite that drastic punishment, one student’s mother, Jerusalem J. Greer, applauded her son and the other students at Greenbrier Public School for their defiant protest following the deadly shooting that killed 15 students and two adults at Stoneman Douglas High School last month in Parkland, Florida.

According to Greenbrier Public School’s official policy, the school board “authorizes the use of corporal punishment to be administered in accordance with this policy by the Superintendent or his/her designated staff members who are required to have a state-issued license as a condition of their employment.”

The handbook says that before students are smacked they are to be “given an explanation of the reasons for the punishment and be given an opportunity to refute the charges. administered privately, i.e. out of the sight and hearing of other students.”

While 31 states across the U.S. have banned corporal punishment, four years ago The Washington Post reported that 19 states still allow administrators to hit students.

Greenbrier Public School, which is located in a town of roughly 5,000 people, only first adopted the seemingly outdated disciplinary policy in 2005 and last updated it in 2012.

The rural Arkansas school’s policy does caution administrations that the physical punishment should not be “excessive, or administered with malice” and should be administered in the presence of another school official or licensed staff member of the district.

The school’s assistant principal, Brett Meek, hung up the phone when The Daily Beast reached out for comment on the school’s regulations. The school’s superintendent, Scott Spainhour, did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/teens...arkansas-for-participating-in-student-walkout

Would you allow your kid to be paddled? As a high schooler would you accept being paddled?

There is a professional license one can attain to be able to paddle? Can a male teacher paddle a teenage girl?

Paddling was still a thing when I graduated from high school in 1990. Absolutely have no problem with it.

I didn't receive a huge number of paddlin's but I did get a few . . . even when I was a senior.

Back when it happened to me there had to be a witness . . . usually another teacher or administrator. Female teachers dished out their fair share of paddlin's to both boys and girls . . . some chose to have the principal do it. I honestly can't remember if we ever had a girl get one from a male teacher.

Regardless, in my opinion this needs re-instated across the country. Sure, we had a few problem kids who regularly got their swats, but we never had any major disciplinary problems like schools deal with today.

Deport anybody who doesn't see this as obviously and completely fucked up and wrong.

Why?

Discipline has it's place . . . some kids walked the line simply because they had a healthy respect for the punishment and weren't too wild about getting swats. We need more of that discipline/respect today . . .

Back