Cool bit of History

jack36767

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Found these gyms in Oklahoma State's archives, and other sources. Enjoy

This is amazing. One of the coolest things Ive seen in a while. That 1937 NCAA tournament video featured some surprisingly solid grappling. In the first match alone you see a guy working butterfly guard, some really slick escapes and takedowns, and a maneuver that looks a lot like a Bjjer throwing up an armbar from bottom.

This is amazing. One of the coolest things Ive seen in a while. That 1937 NCAA tournament video featured some surprisingly solid grappling. In the first match alone you see a guy working butterfly guard, some really slick escapes and takedowns, and a maneuver that looks a lot like a Bjjer throwing up an armbar from bottom.
I was trying to find actual film of Uetake wrestling and it led me to 1968 one and the others lol

I was trying to find actual film of Uetake wrestling and it led me to 1968 one and the others lol
Hes in there? Id love to watch some of that. Very interesting story he has.

Yeah, by 2:30 into the video you've already seen several butterfly sweeps and half-guards. I saw a video of catch wrestling in the Olympics, I think around the same time period, and it looked identical.

luckly for video today imagine how much knowledge has been lost grappling has been around forever but through wars immigration ect things in life it dies .

like how judo use to be alot more detailed with grappling using half guard techniques ect id love to know the techniques guys were using in the 1800s

Yeah, by 2:30 into the video you've already seen several butterfly sweeps and half-guards. I saw a video of catch wrestling in the Olympics, I think around the same time period, and it looked identical.

catch wrestling in the olympics?

Back