Contender fights used to be PPV main events -- Anyone Remember?

superpunch

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Anyone remember this back in the day?

I used to get EXCITED to see the #2 guy fight the #3 guy.

I can't even name the contenders anymore. No one gives a crap about them because being a contender doesn't mean you're actually in the title picture anymore.

Now a PPV is:
championship fight with 115 lb women
125 lb championship fight
"contender" LW matchup
"contender" MW matchup

Or some nonsense. The UFC's found a way to have 2 titles on the line and 2 contender fights and make me not even care about seeing the card for free at a bar. I might not even watch this on free TV.

I read Sherdog daily and can't name more than one fighter rank 2-10 in any weight class. I can name a few guys at LHW and HW because they've been there for years and that's it. This is a problem.

Maybe we're just spoiled?

It's because the UFC rankings are flawed and a shitshow as is the match-making of the big fights, the other fights are actually matched quite well but when you see shit like GSP vs Bisping or Ferguson vs Lee for an interim belt that means nothing because the winner won't fight for the belt.. that naturally brings forth apathy from the fanbase.

I read Sherdog daily and can't name more than one fighter rank 2-10 in any weight class. I can name a few guys at LHW and HW because they've been there for years and that's it. This is a problem.

So you're a filthy casual?

It's because the UFC rankings are flawed and a shitshow as is the match-making of the big fights, the other fights are actually matched quite well but when you see shit like GSP vs Bisping or Ferguson vs Lee for an interim belt that means nothing because the winner won't fight for the belt.. that naturally brings forth apathy from the fanbase.

How do we have GSP VS Bisping for the MW belt in 2017 with Jacare and Romero getting ready to retire without even ever having even gotten (non-interim) title shots??

How do we have GSP VS Bisping for the MW belt in 2017 with Jacare and Romero getting ready to retire without even ever having even gotten (non-interim) title shots??

Champions should be required to accept (not fight, so he can still fight in February of the next year for example) 2 fights per year to retain their championship belt.
That solves the entire problem.

They definitely should be on PPV, but I suppose Contender fights are rarely contender fights anymore anyway.

Anyone remember this back in the day?

I used to get EXCITED to see the #2 guy fight the #3 guy.

I can't even name the contenders anymore. No one gives a crap about them because being a contender doesn't mean you're actually in the title picture anymore.

Now a PPV is:
championship fight with 115 lb women
125 lb championship fight
"contender" LW matchup
"contender" MW matchup

Or some nonsense. The UFC's found a way to have 2 titles on the line and 2 contender fights and make me not even care about seeing the card for free at a bar. I might not even watch this on free TV.

Maybe this sport isn't for you? There's lots of watered down cards, but also more elite contenders in most divisions.

Yup.

Rampage Jackson vs Lyoto Machida was lit!

there has always been cases of exceptions being made to Contender status

now days we have alot more divisions, we also have fighters who are actors, some have fame in their native countries

of course if there was only 5 divisions we probably wouldnt see all these other extracurricular stuff

The cards now are often better than the cards of yesteryear, but the politics of the fight game have begun to seep in more. Whether it be so-called money fights, bad judging, undeserved title shots, price gauging with ppv, or sleezy promoters, these things have all contributed to the wasting away of boxing; and they're currently making their marks on MMA.

so you're telling me you couldn't name Chris Weidman, Jacare, Rockhold or Romero at MW?
Cerrone, Lawler, Maia or Wonderboy at WW?
Khabib, Tony Ferguson, Eddie Alvarez or Edson Barboza at LW?

sounds like the problem is with you and that you just don't like MMA that much dude

Back