Consoles for alt coin mining

FedorGOAT

Ultimate Fedorist
Platinum Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think. I think Xbox one S at its current price ( $150) will be a decent value for mining. It won't take long to break even the cost.

Also considering both PS4 pro & xb1 X have GPU equivalent of an RX 580 & both are selling under $500 (PS4 pro for $399 & XB1 X for $499) While the GPU( RX 580) itself is selling for $600 & above, these consoles can be a huge attraction for miners.

Has anyone tried it yet?

Last edited:
Oh boy, there goes the console market next.

Isn't the gpu integrated on the console motherboard?

You would either have to crack the software protections on console and run homebrew mining software or you would have to somehow remove gpu components from motherboard and solder to a new board, I'm not even sure if that is possible in any way.

Isn't the gpu integrated on the console motherboard?

You would either have to crack the software protections on console and run homebrew mining software or you would have to somehow remove gpu components from motherboard and solder to a new board, I'm not even sure if that is possible in any way.

Consoles are using a Custom x86-64 Jaguar core from AMD & an integrated custom GPU (Both based on Polaris 10 & even faster that that) with integrated system memory on the die itself. When you are going to build a mining rig you will need some sort of CPU & some system RAM. So console would obviously save you from that end. So you don't need to remove the GPU from the motherboard itself cause the entire SoC & board will be required for your entire mining operation.Your entire console will act as a minnng rig.

You will just have to flash the BIOS of your console & install your custom one (Which I don't think would be that hard). Then install some sort of linux distro on your console e.g: Arch or Ubuntu & run AMDGPU or RADV(AMDs open source GPU driver, custom configurable) & you will be fine. Then you can run your general mining software or you can use Nicehash(It is a system like BOINC where you will lend them your computation power, but unlike BOINC you will get paid in Bitcoin or any other alt coin) https://www.nicehash.com/.

One challenge is to use multiple Consoles for mining in a cluster. I have no idea how to run a cluster like that. It will require some expertise.

Last edited:
After further researching I found out that you can install Fedora on PS4 but it only works on PS4 consoles on firmware 1.76.

Consoles are using a Custom x86-64 Jaguar core from AMD & an integrated custom GPU (Both based on Polaris 10 & even faster that that) with integrated system memory on the die itself. When you are going to build a mining rig you will need some sort of CPU & some system RAM. So console would obviously save you from that end. So you don't need to remove the GPU from the motherboard itself cause the entire SoC & board will be required for your entire mining operation.Your entire console will act as a minnng rig.

You will just have to flash the BIOS of your console & install your custom one (Which I don't think would be that hard). Then install some sort of linux distro on your console e.g: Arch or Ubuntu & run AMDGPU or RADV(AMDs open source GPU driver, custom configurable) & you will be fine. Then you can run your general mining software or you can use Nicehash(It is a system like BOINC where you will lend them your computation power, but unlike BOINC you will get paid in Bitcoin or any other alt coin) https://www.nicehash.com/.

One challenge is to use multiple Consoles for mining in a cluster. I have no idea how to run a cluster like that. It will require some expertise.
If it was easy to create and flash a new bios, it would have been done already.
The first gen of the new consoles were about the same as an 7870. The PS4 Pro crossfired those cards. I have no clue what the power draw is on those systems, but it's something to take into consideration.

You would need to be able to crack the hardware and run custom code. Not gonna happen. if you really want to mine, do it right and setup a rig. Good luck getting GPUs though.

just daisy chain 500,000 Genesis consoles

How about you A-hole miners F-off, get a real job and stop running up our GPU prices...

How about you A-hole miners F-off, get a real job and stop running up our GPU prices...
Newegg has lost my future business. I have no problems with there marketplace partners selling cards for inflated prices, but Newegg jacked their own prices up.

Back