Conor or Khabib

Robocok

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Who do you guys have for Saturday? I'm curious to ask here rather than the heavies because there's more experience here.

Khabib. No disrespect to Conor, and he will definitely put up a fight, but in my opinion, Khabib will emerge victorious.

In my heart, I hope Khabib, because it just doesn't feel right for Non-Grappling-Focused fighters to be at the top of MMA. ughghgh.

I'm worried about Khabib though. Once he gets a hold of you he can go to work; but getting to that point is really, really scurry. Khabib has poor striking and slow shots. Connor, however, has made a career out of distance management and picking his shots. Seems like a bad mix.

Nate Diaz showed us jabronies how to squash the Irish muppet. High guard (earmuffs), pressure until you get close to the cage, snatch a single leg, use that to walk him to the cage, let go and channel Randy Couture aka beat the piss out of him in the clinch.

It seems clear that whoever controls the distance wins the fight. Neither man can live with the other in their preferred comfort zone. If Connor can keep it standing, he wins. If Khabib can take him down, he wins.

Whoever gets the victory, I just hope the fight lives up to the hype.

Khabib. I'm more of a striker myself but the fact is that the better wrestler usually wins in MMA. And Khabib is by far the better wrestler.

Khabib doesn’t need to take him down off the bat. He just needs to keep him pinned up against the fence and the takedowns will come.

Khabib I think, although as the fight comes closer, for some reason k can see McGregor Landing before khabib gets to the clinch...

Khabib will destroy

Best grappler always beats best striker

I can't see Conor keep it standing. I think Khabib will take him apart with his wrestling and punish him. I hope I'm wrong as I often am tho

This is the grappling forum so I'm picking Khabib.

I hope Khabib, but I think Conor will win by ko.

Khabib. but i'd like to see them fight at least twice. unless Khabib absolutely ragdolls him for 5 rounds.

not on
Khabib doesn’t need to take him down off the bat. He just needs to keep him pinned up against the fence and the takedowns will come.
not only that but connie usually gasses quick if connoie doesnt knock him out in round 1 he wont be able to later he loses snap on his punches after round 1 hes very dangerous early on he isnt use to being controlled as well due to just training with average bjj grapplers in ireland. no real wrestlers and u know what happens when something happens to you that you arnt use it it drains you which he already has cardio issues.

the more i analyze this more i see khabib winning this id say atm i think its 80-20 n khabibs favor right now conor has to land that shot in round 1 and so far nobody has khabibs a tough sob and doesnt lay off and hes a lil bigger than him conors always the big man n fights besides the diaz fight he wont have that same ko power vs khabib

If javier as drilled it in Khabibs head to move to his left and they have worked defence (high guard or cross over) and straight punches then he has a very good chance.

I have a feeling khabib will over extend and conor will counter him - not sure if he has the recovery of Nate to pull off a comeback.

@GordoBarraBJJ

The cross armed guard I think is better for guys with wide shoulders. The earmuffs would better suit Khabib.

My head says Khabib by a strong margin but my gut keeps saying there are skills from Conor that we either are underestimating and/or intangibles that we aren't seeing. I have a strong gut feeling that Conor is going to win.

Re: those intangibles I do think Khabib is a machine and not likely to be as psyched out but I think little things like the fact that he's mostly fought on prelims and never fought in a main event except one time are things that could play a factor. Conor always does his best on the biggest stages. I'm not saying Khabib doesn't but Khabib isn't quite as tested. Khabib has more pressure on him to win. If Conor loses he is still a big draw if he chooses to keep fighting and has lots of potential superfights. If Khabib loses he is going to drop farther down the ladder than he should unless he loses a close decision to Conor.

Frankly both men are somewhat untested at 155. Conor has only fought there once and Khabib has a deeper resume at 155 no doubt, but has only fought 2 guys in the top 5. I do think his record is slightly padded (not his skillset though) and Khabib has shown that he is hittable and that his takedowns can be stuffed.

I don't think Conor needs to be nearly as good of a grappler as Khabib to beat him. History and statistics do tell us that it's easier for a grappler to force a striker to grapple than it is for a striker to force a grappler to strike. For that reason I think the smart money is still on Khabib. And maybe I'm partially I'm just buying what Conor is selling, but my opinions on this fight have changed in the past 2 weeks. I woud've said Khabib handily 2 weeks ago and I'll probably be proven wrong. But I think as lame as it sounds that Conor is a truly special talent that I have doubted for fight after fight and he keeps proving me wrong. I'm going to go ahead and pick Conor by 1st or 2nd round T/KO but I also admit that's probably a stupid pick.

By the way it's been sad to see Ferguson/Pettis get no press. On any other event that would be a massive fight and especially for us grappling fans it has a chance to steal the show. Both guys have incredible submission grappling.

Back