Conor / Nate 1...WTF was Conor thinking?

Nate started popping him in the mouth with his jab and cutting him off in the second round. Conor started missing more, Nate started gaining momentum, then Conor got hit with that 1-2 and his knees buckled. That look of shock and fear in his eyes said it all. No.... this is supposed to be an easy win.... why are you slapping me around the cage? Then he quit and got strangled.

Or maybe he was just exhausted from carrying the weight of a "bigger man" in a fight between 2 blown up lightweights that had hardly any grappling! Lmao.

No

I was watching it on my lunch break and couldn't figure out how the fook Conor gassed in less than two rounds.

They weren't exactly exchanging power shots.
what? conor only threw power shots and wheel kicks. hes never fought the way he did in the diaz fight. zero regard for defense and only whipping power shots because he thought he was the next jesus. turned out fighting like an asshole isnt the best option against a diaz. who are masters in that art form

You think conor really gassed?
lol you really think he didnt? i remember him panting like a dog after a run in 100 degree weather. Dont let the hate blind you brother. He did much better in the second fight a reason, he had to get use to the new added weight, which he did, and then won. Diaz didnt magically get worse before the second fight, but sure as hell looked it. Cardio played a big roll in both fights.

Dude....i'm a Conor fan but i'm a Diaz hugger all the way. I'm sure we can forgive him for gassing out after a pretty exciting first round.

I can't stand the over the top Conor fans but threads like this are the reason why the over the top fans exist.

DUDE, hes a fuqqin champion and he gassed in less than 10 minutes!

Imagine if that was a 10 minute first round?

Agreed.

That fight was one of the FUNNEST fights of that entire year.

And McG DID clobber Nate with some huge shots that probably would have knocked most fighters at that weight the F out. He just wasted too much energy being sure he WOULD get the KO.
He landed some nasty shots in the first round. He went for some flashy kicks too and tried one in the 2nd round and after that he just looked spent.

Conor is just a manlet who learned the hard way divisions exist for a reason.

His trusted left hand just wasn't the same when fighting a bigger man fresh out of featherweight.

Kudos to him for making the adjustments and coming back strong.

Nah he really believed in his own myth. Put way too much stock in his boxing and power, and woefully underestimated Nate's skill, resolve, and his chin.

He was fighting as if Nate was a heavy bag. He really thought he could finish however he chose, throwing capoeira kicks and shit lol.

He understood after that fight he was the inferior boxer, and his only chance to win was to fight smart and exploit Nate's weakness... leg kicks. Conor not only turned into a panic wrestler for Nate, he turned into a thai boxer! He fought the perfect fight in the second one and still barely squeaked a split decision. Kick the legs.... turn around and run away out of range so you don't get swarmed... land some punches when he's thinking about the leg kicks.... well played IMO

He bought his own hype after knocking out Aldo like that.

It happens.

Conor lost most of all because he didn't respect Nate. If you look at his footwork right before the Nate 1-2 that changed the fight and began the ending, he's way out of stance. He stopped thinking Nate had anything for him. He got right up next to him, wasn't in power stance, got rocked and couldn't recover. That's why I (unfortunately) thought McG would win the 2nd one. He wasn't going to make that mistake again. Although in hindsight Nate should of won the decision

He was fighting as if Nate was a heavy bag. He really thought he could finish however he chose, throwing capoeira kicks and shit lol.

He understood after that fight he was the inferior boxer, and his only chance to win was to fight smart and exploit Nate's weakness... leg kicks. Conor not only turned into a panic wrestler for Nate, he turned into a thai boxer! He fought the perfect fight in the second one and still barely squeaked a split decision. Kick the legs.... turn around and run away out of range so you don't get swarmed... land some punches when he's thinking about the leg kicks.... well played IMO

I'd agree with most of your observations, although I didn't think he fought the perfect fight. Him fighting in the clinch and dumbass Kavanagh encouraging him to clinch with him almost proved to be disastrous. The leg kicks and the body shots accumulated enough damage to slow Nate down in the rounds when he almost had Conor or he let him off the hook.

Still, it was a good fight for Mcgregor. He didn't just up and quit, he wanted it more than Nate.

Has there ever been a fighter that said "I just hope everyone has a good time and we both get home to our families'

what? conor only threw power shots and wheel kicks. hes never fought the way he did in the diaz fight. zero regard for defense and only whipping power shots because he thought he was the next jesus. turned out fighting like an asshole isnt the best option against a diaz. who are masters in that art form

Conor throws straight punches mostly with the left straight being his power punch.

He falls forward as he throws it.

This style of punching shouldn't gas a champion...CMON NOW!

You think conor really gassed?
not a big fan of Conor but I think he was in good condition...
it's just not easy clinching with Nate...
diaz-clinch-knee.gif

Still remember Nate roughing up Dong at WW in the clinch... In 3rd round....

If you tangle with Diazes, you better have all based covered up.

Dong overpowered the shit out of Nate early, but couldn't really get anything more serious going, and gassed.

DUDE, hes a fuqqin champion and he gassed in less than 10 minutes!

Imagine if that was a 10 minute first round?

Mcgregor is a 2 round fighter. He will always have to pace and conserve himself, high volume guys with great cardio and durable chins like Nate, Ferg, RDA will always be a threat to him.

Conor throws straight punches mostly with the left straight being his power punch.

He falls forward as he throws it.

This style of punching shouldn't gas a champion...CMON NOW!

He's got a good left hook and underrated uppercut. His jabs are his worst punches.

He panicked.

Like he said postfight, his left hand puts 145ers to sleep, but Nate at 170 walked thru them.

Back