Crime Congress just passed a bill to make warrantless spying way easier.

44nutman

The Original Nut of Sherdog
@Gold
Reaction score

One thing Dems and Repubs can agree on is making it easier to spy on US citizens. The ironically named Patriot Act started this bullshit, then Obama and Trump continued it. Our founding fathers are spinning in their fucking graves right now.

They already have the Patriot act, and that's all they really need tbh sir.

Load up on your VPNs, firewalls, and self-destruct systems

Load up on your VPNs, firewalls, and self-destruct systems
Why not simply load up on your Constitution?

“The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.” - 4th Amendment

This is a tricky one for me. Warrantless searches aren't illegal depending on what's being searched. For a quick example -- the cops can look through your back window into your car without a warrant, it's a warrantless government search. But they can't make you pop your trunk without a warrant. Or the common domestic understanding is that anything a random person can buy off the street can be used by the government and things they learn through these methods are not illegally obtained (that's a very broad explanation, lots of nuance and detail).

The problem in the modern era is just how much information people have turned over to non-government entities and those entities are entitled to use or share that information as they wish. Moreover, US laws, such as the 4th Amendment don't apply overseas because our laws end at our borders.

This puts us in a tough place. The government can search anyone overseas without a warrant but if Americans are sharing information with those overseas individuals then the information obtained from the overseas individual is legally obtained, even if it includes information about the American. As the article points out, once the government builds a database with this legally obtained information, it's no longer our private info, it's theirs and they can search it without violating the 4th Amendment.

I suspect that this is an irreversible outcome, regardless of the gnashing of teeth. The world of information is global now and that means that government protections we take for granted don't have the same teeth that they did 200+ years ago.

The legitimate only real solution would be a one world government but that, obviously, is not going to happen anytime soon. So people have to be smarter about their own actions knowing that nothing we do via phone or internet is hidden from the government.

Sounds like the Constitution is out of date.

The legitimate only real solution would be a one world government but that, obviously, is not going to happen anytime soon.

I hope that never happens.

I hope that never happens.
I don't hope for it but I think it would be hugely beneficial in some ways.

Frankly, I've never understood most of the arguments against it. They rarely have anything to do with functionality or practicality and are more about identity.

I don't hope for it but I think it would be hugely beneficial in some ways.

Frankly, I've never understood most of the arguments against it. They rarely have anything to do with functionality or practicality and are more about identity.
Boot-lickers be like:

"Well, if you got nothing to hide then..."

LOL! Indeed.

LOL! Indeed.
That doesn't even make sense. Sometimes I forget just how low effort some of you guys are with your posting.

Like, are you even understanding what's being written?

The US is able to do the very thing that this thread is complaining about because the laws that protect us in this country do not apply in other countries. It's a simple exploitation of differences between how nations handle searches. So long as every nation runs different laws on subjects, nations will be able to exploit those differences for their advantage.

No different than how criminals and corporations will set up shop in some nations to avoid the legal ramifications of their actions in other nations.

So, people who understand differences in national laws but also oppose what the OP is talking about should want more universality in laws, if only to reduce exploitation. Opposing the exploitation of legal differences across borders in order to reduce the ability of nations to perform the opposed action wouldn't make someone a "Bootlicker".

But understanding that requires people to actually think about the problem and not just type whatever superficial thing pops into their heads.

Why not simply load up on your Constitution?

Because a VPN costs like $60 a year and challenging a bill in the supreme court will cost hundreds of thousands of dollars and a year or two of your life, and still may not even be heard.

But if anyone wants to set up a gofundme to challenge this in court I got $20 on it.

The government has never been on the side of its citizens.

And I am referring to both parties.

Voting for party A is like drinking cyanide voting for party B is like taking Strychnine.

Back