Conditioning training for a skinny guy looking to get into boxing/mma?

SocialJusticeFighter

Double Yellow Card
Banned
Reaction score
I'm way underweight but also need to build cardio at the same time. Any tips for conditioning and strength training. I'm super underweight like I walk around at BW 135 5'9.

I'm wondering about stuff I can do to get in shape before I start training martial arts because I feel like I'm too far out of shape right now. Just stuff at a normal gym. Or is it better to just jump right in to a boxing/mma gym and get conditioned that way?

Feel like I need to build muscle and get some cardio first but it's hard to do both and not sure I know how. I'm an ectomorph

Jump right in, and also give yourself a conditioning program on the side.

EDIT:

Initially there was zero good information, so I decided to contribute a bit more :D

Don't focus too much on cardio, if you're an ectomorph your body will burn lots of calories on its own, so you're going to want to contribute minimally to that (your cardio will improve by lifting, and training, anyways) Depending how many days a week you will be training boxing or whatnot, I would say do 1-3 days of of S&C. Let me break it down for you:

If you're going to train 4-5 days a week, then do 1 day of S&C a week, 1 week do lower body, second week do upper, etc etc. And fucking crush it

If you're going to train 2-3 days a week, do 2 days of S&C, lower and upper, with at least 2 days of "rest" in between your S&C days (on your rest days you can still train)

If you want to start slow and focus on your body mostly, do 1 day a week of training, then your S&C should be 2 lift days and 1 day of plyometrics.

Every lift day, crush your abs as well, as a matter of fact crush your abs any day that you workout and they aren't already still hurting.

Make sure to increase your carb intake, 2 hours before you workout try to eat a complete meal, good healthy carbs (sweet potatoes, wild rice, this kind of shit) with some leafy green veggies, and make sure to get your 20-30g of protein within 1 hour of finishing your workout.

Before your exercise, always do dynamic stretching, and after always do static stretching.

Last edited:
The three most important muscle groups for combat sport performance are buttocks strength, neck strength, and grip/forearm strength.

I agree, just jump in. Also I'd replace mongler's list with anything core/center-of-balance related, lower back, butt, thighs, abs, etc. But don't even worry about that, just start training. Just doing the drills will build the proper muscles, and if something is ridiculously weak you can work on it. For example your shoulders are going to give out the first few days from the weight of holding up wet gloves for an hour or 2, but they'll get strong enough almost immediately.

The most common injury mechanism in pretty much every athletic endeavor, and energy leak reducing performance of kinetic chains attendant thereto, is spinal hyper mobility.

Hypermobility in points of the body you want stiff is often caused by 'overcompensating' for weakness or stiffness in the points of the body you want mobile.

Id est, spinal hypermobility is exacerbated by weak and stiff hip and shoulder groups.

The most common injury mechanism in pretty much every athletic endeavor, and energy leak reducing performance of kinetic chains attendant thereto, is spinal hyper mobility.

Hypermobility in points of the body you want stiff is often caused by 'overcompensating' for weakness or stiffness in the points of the body you want mobile.

Id est, spinal hypermobility is exacerbated by weak and stiff hip and shoulder groups.
That's a bit of an oversimplification, but spinal instability is definitely a big one.

I think you condition to the martial art executing that martial art and the same rhythm of the class will condition you. In fact I know a lot of people who do martial arts because of this, as a fitness approach,so my argument is not rare.

To put weight I recommend you to use myfitnesspal and start counting macros to enter in a caloric excess.

That's a bit of an oversimplification, but spinal instability is definitely a big one.

Oh of course, but if im writing funposts on a tibetan finger-puppetry forum, i'll like to keep it short, sweet, and make sure to hit the least wrong point.

Oh of course, but if im writing funposts on a tibetan finger-puppetry forum, i'll like to keep it short, sweet, and make sure to hit the least wrong point.
I'm not sure I got all that but good point nontheless my man.

Back