Complete List of the Best Upper Weight Grapplers in MMA History

dsdoubled

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Considering all factors like credentials in their original grappling art, how much they have used it in MMA, what they added to their tool box, and obviously, results in the cage, who are the best grapplers in MMA history north of 200 pounds? I was inspired to make this list by a thread michi972 started.

Randy Couture: He was one of the more well rounded grapplers by the time the last leg of his career rolled around. He had an absolutely stellar background in both NCAA style and Greco roman wrestling and pioneered the grinding-pin you against the cage-drain you of energy-beat you up style and it won him many fights. Held his own against Jacare in the PSL, submitted Mike Van Arsdale who was another very well rounded grappler.

Fabricio Werdum: Obviously has a ton of hardware in both gi and no gi world level competitions. Black belt in Bjj, black belt in judo, great guard, great guard passer, one of the greatest HW's in MMA history.

Josh Barnett: Had that unique, catch style that combined good wrestling, great positional grappling, and was good at working guys over from top position with his size and deliberate GnP until he saw an opening and ripped the submission.

Frank Mir: Moved exceptionally well for a HW. Great flexibility and agility. Extremely high submission finishing ability (if he latched on it was a wrap). Made it to the very top of the HW division.

Fedor: Also had a unique style compared to other HW grapplers. Used all the basic subs (armbar, RNC, keylock/kimura) but had great success in pulling them off bc he would knock the shit out of dudes with his punches and GnP. Great off his back, great on top, phenomenal wrestling offensively and defensively, slick trips/throws earlier in his career.

Jeff Monson: Very strong wrestling background in all 3 styles (freestyle, Greco, NCAA), made great use of his body type which made him very hard to submit. Rounded out his grappling base with really high level training in both Bjj and catch style wrestling. Did great in ADCC and other events that rewarded position advancing and wrestling. Has quite a few very solid wins in MMA.

Mar Kerr: Extremely high level wrestler who added unreal size and strength to his game once he entered MMA. Embraced Bjj and trained under Marcus Vinicius, had great success in ADCC, absolutely brutal GnP. MMA pioneer.

Obviously there is a bunch more, please add to the list.

I'd put Marcio Cruz on the list. He never had a complete mma game-or great body, but he won ADCC and numerous Pan-Am and Brazilian championships. I always felt he got screwed in his fight with Arlovski, as that fight was restarted with Andrei ready to strike down at him, which he did-brutally.

I'd put Marcio Cruz on the list. He never had a complete mma game-or great body, but he won ADCC and numerous Pan-Am and Brazilian championships. I always felt he got screwed in his fight with Arlovski, as that fight was restarted with Andrei ready to strike down at him, which he did-brutally.
I was gonna say Hed be way down on the list bc of his limited success in MMA. But then I checked his record and its solid. He would be comparable to guys like Fabiano Scherner. Good call.

I started with the guys I started with bc they mastered at least 2 grappling arts. Top level Bjjers should definitely be included but theyre level of success in MMA should be elite to put them high on the list. Although, most BJJ guys from Brazil started out in Judo.

+ Jones, DC, Cain, Werdum

Back