'Company Girl' Cyborg talks about her decision to step up to save 222 with short-notice bout

Ghost in the Dark

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
http://www.bjpenn.com/mma-news/cris...ana-kunitskaya-build-better-relationship-ufc/

With everyone looking forward to the three superfights that the UFC has in mind for this year, everyone was slightly disappointed to hear that Cris Cyborg was going to be defending her UFC women’s featherweight title against former Invicta FC bantamweight champon Yana Kunitskaya. It turns out it is still just a speed bump in the way of her anticipated fight with Amanda Nunes. That is, if they both win. Either way, the decision to step in and help prop up UFC 222 was strategic. Cyborg is hoping that if she scratches the UFC’s back, they’ll scratch hers.

“[Stepping in to fight Yana Kunitskaya] was a great opportunity to keep the momentum from the win against Holly [Holm] and get me back into the octagon quickly so ‘Cyborg Nation’ can keep growing. I’m going to have to start putting a mouth guard in my purse if this fight pace continues the rest of 2018, though. […] When [the UFC] called saying they needed a new main event, we saw this as an opportunity to prove to everyone that Cris Cyborg can be a company girl and that I’m willing to step up when the promotion needs it. I am hoping this will continue to build my relationship within the promotion and lead to the type of marketing and exposure I have been asking for.”

boom.jpg

a671f4c983e489abc84f66f7c9b8e59a--cris-cyborg.jpg

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-sn-ufc-cyborg-222-story.html

"I always let the fans decide who they think is the best, or the most distinguished, but I think this is a great challenge for myself. There are not many UFC champions willing to defend their belt on three weeks' notice. We always train for anybody, anytime."

I have told my manager I am willing to fight Nunes and am leaving it to him to negotiate when and where that happens," Cyborg said. "If she wins in Brazil and I win March 3, I think the [date] that makes the most sense [is] on the huge [July 7 Stipe] Miocic-[Daniel Cormier] fight card in Vegas.

"In order for that to happen, we both have to win."

Cris-Cyborg-Amanda-Nunes.png

They couldn't just have Edgar-Ortega headlining?

They needed Cyborg of all people to "save" the card?..

I rather watch kimbo vs dada 5000 than a girls fight

Cyborg - Holm did huge numbers.

I know, i had a thread on it. It did 380k. Holm's last PPV before that did only 200k.

I have a hunch Cyborg's next PPV isn't doing 380k. Because i believe Khabib-Barboza brought in those extra numbers not Cyborg-Holm. She's lucky if they do 350k, only because the undercard is decent.

They would be better off keeping Edgar-Ortega the headliner, and Cyborg the co-main. They brought a no-name Yara or w/e and put her on a headline fight in her debut for God's sake.

I know, i had a thread on it. It did 380k. Holm's last PPV before that did only 200k.

I have a hunch Cyborg's next PPV isn't doing 380k. Because i believe Khabib-Barboza brought in those extra numbers not Cyborg-Holm. She's lucky if they do 350k.

They would be better off keeping Edgar-Ortega the headliner, and Cyborg the co-main. They brought a no-name Yara or w/e and put her on a headline fight in her debut for God's sake.
I definitely bought it for khabib vs barboza. I didn’t even finish the borg vs holly fight. I think I left at the start of the 4th round.

Is Cyborg finally realising that attacking the boss isn't the way to go? Look at Joanna, took a fight to save the Berlin card, fought on 193 despite her broken hand needing more time, company woman par excellence, reward = tuf season, ppv points, spots on 2 MSG cards, immediate rematch.

When you're good to Dana, Dana's good to you.

Is this her?<TheWire1>

She looks.....different.

edit: I really hope that she knocks that stupid mohawk off of Amanda's head.

There are some pictures of her that confuse me as well. I mean...attractive, in a confusing way...

Yeah.

Easy PPV to skip.

Is Cyborg finally realising that attacking the boss isn't the way to go? Look at Joanna, took a fight to save the Berlin card, fought on 193 despite her broken hand needing more time, company woman par excellence, reward = tuf season, ppv points, spots on 2 MSG cards, immediate rematch.

When you're good to Dana, Dana's good to you.

Its the other way around actually, because Dana realised that Rousey was quitting mma and he had to promote Cyborg.

Back