Coach Santos's Open Discussion - Latest Fight Camp

MandirigmaFit

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
What up, Sherdawg. I just got back from Cambodia, where I helped one of my fighters finish up the final 2 weeks of his fight camp. Unfortunately, he lost a 5 round decision. The Cambodians are notorious for having a national bias and giving decisions to the local fighters, but that is another story.

I am open to discussing any part of camp-- training or nutrition, from my fighter's latest Muay Thai camp. I will answer most questions, so feel free to send them my way.

Quick Stats:
Fighter/Athlete: Justin Wong
Pro MMA record: 5-1; 5 @ FW, 1 @ BW
Amateur Kickboxing titles; around 20 fights
Pro Muay Thai record: 1-1, 1 KO
Nova Uniao Purple Belt

I have been working with him since late 2014/early 2015. Initially, we were gearing up for his Bellator and/or PXC debut, but then he moved to Cambodia with his lady.

----------

Fight Week Daily Weigh-ins
Monday 67.2kg
Tuesday 65.8kg
Wednesday 65.8kg
Thursday 66.4kg
Friday (early) 66.5kg
Friday (official weigh-in) 64.4kg

His opponent missed weight by 3 kg

----------

Circumferential Measurements
7 days prior to weigh-ins:
Calf 35.5cm
Thigh 52.7cm
Waist 83.8cm
Chest 92.7cm
Neck 38.1cm
Bicep 30.4cm

Pre-weigh in, compared to 7 days prior:
Calf (=)
Thigh (-3.2cm)
Waist (-2.5cm)
Chest (-1.9cm)
Neck (-2.5)
Bicep (=)

Post Weigh in, compared to original measurements:
Calf (=)
Thigh (+.8cm)
Waist (+.6cm)
Chest (=)
Neck (=)
Bicep (+.1.25cm)

1st Fight in Cambodia, 21 May 2016

2nd Fight in Cambodia, 8 Oct 2016

I will start off with this information and will add as questions are asked.

Hello Coach Santo, two question for you.

1. How was the food in Cambodia?
2. Are you familiar with Nick Curson and the Marinovich method of training and if so what are your thoughts on neuromuscular style of training?

Thank you.

@Noodles03

1) I am not a fan of Khmer food, but the Thai and Korean food was good and very cheap. A full meal would cost ~$5. I prefer the food in Thailand, Korea and definitely Japan better.

2) I like the Marinovich methodology and what Nick has done with it. Earlier in the year I gave Gary and Marv a call to talk about some of their methods and we agreed on a lot of things. I will say that they do no appreciate Curson running off on his own and using their methods, although he has changed a few things. I asked the Marinovichs if they could certify me in their training methods, but they seemed to be very hesitant because what Nick had done. They also base some of their training on Verkhoshansky's work. The Marinovichs are good people. Spent a good hour or so on the phone taking about how MMA S&C was in the dark ages, but slowly coming a long. They are based in Santa Cruz now, which was not far from where I used to live, San Francisco. In regards to Nick, I have only seen his speed/explosive work and to be fair, it is hard to judge what I have seen without knowing the block or stage of training that they are in. He has done great things with RDA and others.

That's too bad, I always thought that Nick Curson was somehow in good terms with the Marinovich. Also that's awesome, $5 for a full Korean meal. LoL, that would be like heaven for me.

Anyone else interested?

I'm open to working with any fighters here on Sherdog, remotely, if they have a bout agreement signed.

I have another question in regards with high intensity interval training frequency. If a fighter doesn't have a fight coming up, should he or she still do any time of HIIT or just focus more on purely aerobic conditioning?

@Noodles03

It depends. Generally, if they haven't done LISS aerobic training in a few months or they have just fought, IMO, it is a very good idea to spend 2-4 weeks on Cardiac Output-style exercise. Two reasons, down regulate SNS/up regulate PNS, and eccentric cardiac hypertrophy/stroke volume. After an initial drop in RHR, I would then start to increase exercise intensity. In the fight game, it's complicated because of the irregular training/competition schedule, so get in Aerobic training when you can.

Hey!

How do you assess the individual athletes needs? Do you do any analysis of how they move and train, or muscle strenght and lenght tests? And if so, at what point in training and in what capacity do you address them?

Let's exclude cardio and max strenght. I mean, more like imbalances, bad physical tendencies, posture, tightness, bad motor patterns, weaknesses and so forth.

Thanks.

Last edited:
@Sano

Great question. I would like to first say that movement posture takes precedence over static posture. Reason being is that any posture held too long is a bad posture, mechanically and neurologically. Someone that sits and slouches all day long is prone to injury and "pain" just as much as someone with an upright, rigid posture all day long. Bad static posture doesn't always equate to pain, but bad movement posture can absolutely increase the chance of injury. Variety in movement and posture is the key.

Now, in regards to assessments, everything is being assessed at all times. The first day or even few weeks are not focused on assessments. There are some, but not many. Namely, a joint by joint AROM assessment, then a PROM assessment on less than ideal ranges. We start with training whatever movement is the goal. Let's say one of the goals is linear acceleration in the drive phase. If we aren't getting a big enough first stride or long enough arm action after the first rep, then we cue that to the athlete to bring awareness and then we see if they can complete the second rep with the aforementioned cues and corrections. If not, then they come off the field, away from the stress of training, and start using remedial drills that isolate the movement better. If it requires soft tissue work, then we do that on the spot also. Once movement looks good, then they get back on the track.

Let me know if we are even remotely close to the answer you were looking for.

I know Justin! I use to be very close friends with his brother. I remember Justin training at HMC Academy when he was a little kid. He was a bad ass skater as well. What a small world.

I guess I could ask Justin myself, but does he ever plan on going back to MMA? Also are there any specific areas you are focusing in with him?

@boingyman

That's sick, man! We started off as training partners and I would like to think we are good friends now. I plan on going back to Cambodia Q1 2017 to visit him again. He wants to compete in MMA, but the scene is very small in Cambodia. His immediate plan is to either have a boxing bout or try to get a rematch with the fucker that got the judges decision.

With Justin, since he is very compliant and serious about his progression, we have the opportunity to focus on everything. We work together almost daily.

@MandirigmaFit

That's awesome! Glad to here he wants to compete in MMA again. Would love to see him fight in Bellator one day! I didn't realize he plans on staying out in Cambodia. I hope you guys all do well on getting him geared up to be at his best. I want to see him to do big things with his fighting career.

Great fighter, and seems to be a really good and genuine dude……but his skills seem to have eroded at an alarming rate. I don’t need to see him fight anymore….

Back