Closing the distance on a southpaw with a good back kick?

darwinthemudskipper

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Me and my good friend both train at the same gym for mma practice and we do stand-up/kickboxing/Muay Thai sparring together a lot. He is a southpaw with a Karate background and I have a Muay Thai and TKD background and stand orthodox. Usually when we spar I just stay on the outside and just kick his legs because my legs are longer and he stands pretty sideways most of the time. It always makes for a weird looking round. Despite this, I would like to mix it up try to land punches and combinations but everytime I try to close the distance he hits me with this really fast and sneaky back kick. I have tried everything that I know of to attempt to get into that range with him from using quick jabs to circling away from it to trying to catch his leg and even parrying the kick. Whatever I do, it seems that I always get a foot to my solar plexus. The only thing that has kind of worked it using my teep when he tries to spin or kick which is good but it doesn't get me in range. Its probably just me, but it feels weird to go an entire round and only throw like three punches (which are 90% jabs at the air). If anyone here has any tips to help me close the distance that would be phenomenal. Thanks.

Good heavy feints to make him throw it and miss, then you enter. But watch out cause good TKD/karate guys may hide another kick after a missing back kick.
The teep is a great way to deal with the spinning shit. You may not close the distance, but if every time he turns his back, he gets pushed and even makes him fall down/loosing balance, he will not be so eager to throw it.
And of course, the classic: Destroy his leg with low kicks...that will make him jump around less, but also have a more square stance to deal with them. And a more square stance, means more difficulty/telegraphed for the spinning shits to be thrown...

Last edited:
Great advice above. Also, if he's throwing a spin kick and you're fast enough or he has a tell, that's a perfect time to close. As soon as you see him start close hard (while protecting yourself in case you don't get in fast/close enough) but if done correctly you'll be on top of him by the time his spin completes and be able to get off a nice close range combo which you can then use to unleash a full range combo (assuming he shells or is caught off guard). That, or shelling up with a slight elbow drop into his ankle when he tries to side kick you never hurts. Just don't do it too hard or you could injure him but if he takes one clean he'll think twice about the next attempt.

Yip, rushing spins to get inside is the best way I've found to disrupt those types of counters. Oh and watch his center for the timing. It'll mean getting hit a bunch but you want that split second body characteristic dropping or extending of the arms for balance or whatever his signature opening is. It takes a GOOD 4th dan to really not telegraph any indication of the incoming technique. He's got patterns, you just need to learn them and exploit them. And analyze your own patterns and try to pinpoint your telegraphing mannerisms of you preparing to advance. You want to be like a blank slate with zero windup or non neutral body movement. Even a higher hop right before you throw will get read by someone good. He wont be able to read you as well....

I gotta chuckle at that technique though. I use to train with this red belt when I was a TKD white. I'd trained my right roundhouse really diligently and thought I had it fast till he nailed me over and over with that same technique.

Oh, and as you close the distance angle slightly off the line so he has to over rotate. it also takes someone really good to follow a moving target in an over rotated spin technique. And use that side forward leg Teep right in his center mass a few times catching and pushing him off balance will do wonders.

Plus sit down with him and pick his brain...Anyone with better ways of getting at you is worth friending up with and being taught their perspective. Best training partners and advancements come from that. Don't think of it as competition think of it as opportunity to learn.

Love this tactical stuff cause I can't train do to injury I'm scheduled for major surgery on next month!

Gotta keep the noodle sharp at least...

Keep us posted!

Back