Cities: Skylines (No Relation To Cities XL)

Shoemaker

****INSIDIOUS****
Platinum Member
Reaction score
City builder from the company that made Cities In Motion. No relation to the debacle that was Cities XL (and Cities XXL).

I've been watching guys streaming the press copy of the game for a few days. Looks great, zoning looks to be way better than in CXL. And maps look huge, much bigger than Sim City (edit: apparently the only limit on size is the power of your rig. You can change the settings to make the plot as big as you want).

Release Trailer:

Preview:

It's downloading at home now. Counting down the hours until I'm off work.

And the new DLC / free update is out.

q2nUHdS.jpg

7A1O63k.png

du52tTN.jpg

AKGv7zu.jpg

nVupwmS.jpg

Night time is fun time! After Dark is the first expansion to the hugely popular classic city simulation Cities: Skylines. The game expands on the repertoire of features and customizations designed to enhance the thrill as well as maintain the challenge of the city building experience. Developed by Colossal Order and published Paradox Interactive, the central feature of the latest expansion is to utilize the day and night cycle and alter the approach to managing your city. Will you construct a bustling city that lives and breathes at night or will your city succumb to the perils and misadventures of the dark hours? You’re only limited by your imagination, so take control, the sky is the limit!

Find out what life is like in the city when the sun goes down!

Utilize the Day and Night Cycle: The city changes during the hours of the day and affects citizen schedules. Traffic is visibly slower at night and some zoned areas do not work with full efficiency. This expansion will put you in control of managing the different aspects of the day and night cycles.

Leisure specialization: Commercial areas can specialize in leisure activities. Leisure areas are especially active during the night, but work like regular commercial areas during the day.

Tourism specialization: Commercial areas such as bars and restaurants, small marina and fishing tours on the shoreline can specialize in beach activities.

Expanded City Services:

Criminals will now be taken to Prison from Police buildings.
Taxi service will help citizens and tourists travel around the city.
Cargo hubs are harbors that accept cargo trains straight to the terminal.
International airport is a huge airport, allowing much more traffic than the previous airport and has a metro station attached to it.
Bus terminal allows citizens to transfer to other bus lines in the terminal building.

New transportation options: Bikes and dedicated bike lanes and bike ways let citizens opt for a faster alternative to walking. Bus lanes can be used to help the public transportation run smoother.

That actually looks really cool.
Could use a new city building/management game, been a while since I played one of them.

That actually looks really cool.
Could use a new city building/management game, been a while since I played one of them.

The last one I played and enjoyed was Sim City 2000. And that was.... awhile ago, yeah.

I always did well until a tornado or UFO salted my game.

Game looks great and I bought it yesterday. Unfortunately I can't play it yet. It crashes on startup and the issue myself and some others are dealing with is so far baffling the devs.

Ugh.

Game looks great and I bought it yesterday. Unfortunately I can't play it yet. It crashes on startup and the issue myself and some others are dealing with is so far baffling the devs.

Ugh.

Bummer! Hopefully they get that figured out soon.

I got a chance to play last night. Very intuitive, minimal hand holding. My city looks like ass but it's fun. Can't wait to get back on tonight.

Wish something like this was on xbone

Man, this game is absolutely tearing it up in the reviews! 89% on Metacritic and Overwhelmingly Positive on Steam (out of nearly 2k user reviews).

It would appear that SimCity has officially been dethroned. What better time for this to happen than almost immediately after Maxis Emeryville's closure?

Man, this game is absolutely tearing it up in the reviews! 89% on Metacritic and Overwhelmingly Positive on Steam (out of nearly 2k user reviews).

It would appear that SimCity has officially been dethroned. What better time for this to happen than almost immediately after Maxis Emeryville's closure?

Nice, good for them. I might have to take a crack at Cities In Motion once I'm fatigued from Skylines.

edit: So far the only bad thing I've read is the lack of random natural disasters and I think that's intentional (and IMO a good thing).

Nice, good for them. I might have to take a crack at Cities In Motion once I'm fatigued from Skylines.

edit: So far the only bad thing I've read is the lack of random natural disasters and I think that's intentional (and IMO a good thing).

There also is not currently a day/night cycle (I'm not sure about seasons), but they are supposedly adding the disasters and day/night cycles in the future.

This game does look really fun.

This game is amazing. The steam workshop integration has already resulted in ton of mods available for the game. It even comes with its own asset editor allowing people to create custom buildings and share with others.

Hell, EA was selling this stuff as DLC in SimCity 2013. With the future updates and stuff, this looks like it will become the new standard among city building games.

Just started today and the game looks great and something I can put alot of Hours into.

Just one question. How to I tilt the camera a bit. I hat straight down looking and need tilt it just a bit to see better.

I'm enjoying it. It's really well put together and addicting. I just wish there was a proper tutorial, though - it's been over a decade since I last played a city builder.

Apparently one of the mods allows you to walk around your city in first-person view! Really cool.

Also, the game broke day 1 sales records for Paradox (250k units sold, including pre-orders)

Just started today and the game looks great and something I can put alot of Hours into.

Just one question. How to I tilt the camera a bit. I hat straight down looking and need tilt it just a bit to see better.

Hold the middle mouse button/wheel

I'm enjoying it. It's really well put together and addicting. I just wish there was a proper tutorial, though - it's been over a decade since I last played a city builder.

Apparently one of the mods allows you to walk around your city in first-person view! Really cool.

Also, the game broke day 1 sales records for Paradox (250k units sold, including pre-orders)

Hold the middle mouse button/wheel

Thanks I will give it a try later.

Looks awesome. I might buy this later. I've been Sim City as far as city sims go, but I'm pretty rubbish at it. Like 90% of my cities always ended up desolate, abandoned holes. Maybe this shit will be a little more forgiving

Watching some tutorials on it. Tried to make a city and went broke before I even hooked up the electricity.

I love these types of games, but am really just terrible at them. It makes me sad.

Watching some tutorials on it. Tried to make a city and went broke before I even hooked up the electricity.

you can turn on Unlimited money if you want to..But yeah I am Broker too already and operating at -2000 dollars loss right now.

I about 45mins in and really liking it. I wish the camera was a little bit easier to float around like in the Rome games but I am getting better at it.

Anyway to get the Steam Work shop Mods if you don't have the game on Steam.? I tried just adding it to my Steam Libiray but can't get he workshop to open.

you can turn on Unlimited money if you want to..But yeah I am Broker too already and operating at -2000 dollars loss right now.

I about 45mins in and really liking it. I wish the camera was a little bit easier to float around like in the Rome games but I am getting better at it.

Anyway to get the Steam Work shop Mods if you don't have the game on Steam.? I tried just adding it to my Steam Libiray but can't get he workshop to open.

The game uses Steamworks which means your key can be activated on Steam.

Back