Chuck Mindenhall on the state of the UFC, lazy 'super-fights', why cheating pays in MMA and more

Thickfreakness

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score

It should pay at the section, but if not go to 4:47.

I'm a big fan of Chuck's writing but he's great on The MMA Beat too. Loved this. I agree with their assessment of the UFC's matchmaking. It's like the promotion are trying to plug holes regardless of whether it makes sense or not. They'll make any match they think will make a quick buck.

Thoughts?

Name 3 pointless super fights the UFC has put on lately. It's a myth.

Name 3 pointless super fights the UFC has put on lately. It's a myth.
Maybe they all haven't come together, but some of the proposed ones - DJ/TJ and Nate/Woodley are illogical.

I agree with their assessment of the UFC's matchmaking. It's like the promotion are trying to plug holes regardless of whether it makes sense or not. They'll make any match they think will make a quick buck.

Thoughts?

It's like a thirsty castaway desperately drinking seawater. It eases the dry throat temporarily but makes the problem far, far worse.

It's like a thirsty castaway desperately drinking seawater. It eases the dry throat temporarily but makes the problem far, far worse.
Excellent analogy. I completely agree. It's real short term gain matchmaking.

It's disgusting how casually the terms money-fight and super-fight get thrown around nowadays.

It's disgusting how casually the terms money-fight and super-fight get thrown around nowadays.
I completely agree. The phrase has even lost its meaning at this point. As said in the video, when Anderson moved up to 205 for the first time it felt special. Now champions moving up or down is just business as usual.

I completely agree. The phrase has even lost its meaning at this point. As said in the video, when Anderson moved up to 205 for the first time it felt special. Now champions moving up or down is just business as usual.

Maybe we should start calling them supper-fights. Just something to bring home the bread...

Cyborg vs Smith
Cyborg vs Lansberg
Cyborg vs Evinger

According to Cyborg.
That division is simply a mess. I like that the UFC brought in Cyborg, but a few years ago there's no way they would have handled this division like this.

Cyborg vs Smith
Cyborg vs Lansberg
Cyborg vs Evinger

According to Cyborg.

yea that pisses me off she called those superfights. like what fuckin planet is she on lol.

if thats a superfight what the fuck are we calling stipe vs dc

yea that pisses me off she called those superfights. like what fuckin planet is she on lol.

All Cisgender Super Fight

He's right that cheating pays.. they don't deduct points for eye pokes/nutshots so you effectively get a free one (maybe even two) in every fight you can use without consequences. Also if you use PEDs and get caught by USADA it might not even effect your career, i.e someone like Lesnar might only fight once a year anyway so he doesn't give a shit about a suspension. And then looking at Jon's return at 214 you can see UFC completely sweeps drug test failures under the rug like they didn't happen, and will do it again if Jon ever returns. There's no reason not to use PEDs and cheat in every fight, basically.

Dude overwrites like crazy.

Probably inspired by the great boxing writers like Mailer and Cannon but at this point he's still too flowery for his own good.

All Cisgender Super Fight
I’m sure this comes off as rude, but I just don’t want to read about cisgender when reading the damn UFC forum. Just go to the War Room or something

As said in the video, we shiouldn't be even asking if DC vs Stipe is amazing. It is. But with all these super fights and bad matchmaking you had to think if the fight made sense.

Back