Chuck Liddell claims to have 80 inch reach.

I seem to remember hearing something years back that he measured his reach with closed fists to throw his opponents off. Can't remember the source though.

Nah. Chuck in his prime was a better pure striker. In a striking exchange he may possibly surprise Jones with a flurry. It happens in MMA.

Jones was better in the clinch. Jones was a better wrestler/grappler

Am I crazy? The gif I quoted as Rampage knocking out Wandy.

Chuck's documented reach is 76 1/2. I doubt they were off by half a foot lol

anyone else remember the end of robocop lol

GrizzledSphericalHeterodontosaurus-max-1mb.gif

In times of great peril, your arms can extend 10-20" in attempt to grab ahold of something. Paul Verhoevan was the only one who knew this fact.

Chuck wouldnt beat jones

but i think he would have had a decent chance at beating Anderson in his Prime

prime vs prime with Wrestling TDD and power i think Chuck takes it

damn, people really believed the chuck hype.

You can believe what you want. I’m not gonna try to convince you. But I disagree. Prime Jones was superior to everyone who gave Chuck his losses during his prime. Chuck was good for his time. He was never good enough to be champ during the Jones era. I mean, consider who he actually beat during his prime. Jones’ prime was way better.

Reactions: mkt
Why would he fight for years without correcting the reach number? 80 inches would look good for marketing.

I don't know if Chuck had anything on Jones. What we know for sure was Chuck did not fare so well against Rampage or Shogun, two fighters Jones defeated.

The only thing I like in the fight is Chuck's stand-up was his bread n butter and Jones wrestling and clinch transitions are his bread n butter. Chuck might surprise him?

giphy.gif
That's the problem. Chuck did a good job defending predictable double legs from Tito and a 40+ year old Randy. But prime Jones usually clinched first then did a variety of throws and TDs. Even guys with otherwise solid TDD got tossed around by him.

Jones fought PLENTY of good/dangerous strikers: Shogun, Rampage, Machida, Belfort, Cormier, Vera, etc. He also has an iron chin which helps against a guy like Chuck. Note that I'm talking prime Jones from 10-15 years ago. The version who struggled a bit with Thiago Santos, eh, I'm not so sure about him against prime Chuck. He'd probably manage to win a UD or SD, though.

I seem to remember hearing something years back that he measured his reach with closed fists to throw his opponents off. Can't remember the source though.
I think you're confusing him with that other Chuck...Norris. Tied his hands behind his back and still had a 76" reach.

damn, people really believed the chuck hype.

You can believe what you want. I’m not gonna try to convince you. But I disagree. Prime Jones was superior to everyone who gave Chuck his losses during his prime. Chuck was good for his time. He was never good enough to be champ during the Jones era. I mean, consider who he actually beat during his prime. Jones’ prime was way better.
Agree 100% on Chuck not winning in the Jones era. Now if prime Chuck (instead of near 40-year old Chuck) was in the mix when the belt went from Rampage to Forrest to Rashad to Machida to Shogun...he might have a chance to beat one of those guys. I remember Forrest saying Chuck was a bad match-up for him. And I think prime Chuck circa 2004-ish would've done far better against Shogun and Rashad than old chinless Chuck did later on, whether he won or lost.

I don't know if Chuck had anything on Jones. What we know for sure was Chuck did not fare so well against Rampage or Shogun, two fighters Jones defeated.

The only thing I like in the fight is Chuck's stand-up was his bread n butter and Jones wrestling and clinch transitions are his bread n butter. Chuck might surprise him?

giphy.gif

Might?... Jones would kick his knees in

The real battle is who gets eye poked first!

Besides being 10 years too late on this tread OP, I think Chuck is probably right! UFC is notorious for messing up the stats. They had Anderson at 5’11 and magically his prayers were answered to be above 6ft and on the next fight listed at 6’2.

Back